The Non-League Football Paper - - FA CUP SECOND ROUND QUALIFYING - By Clive Cooke

GOAL­KEEPER Xavi Co­mas was Han­well’s hero as his side shared the spoils with En­field in a goal­less en­counter in the sec­ond qual­i­fy­ing round of the FA Cup.

In a re­peat of the same fix­ture two sea­sons ago, the home side had Co­mas to thank dur­ing the first half af­ter the keeper pro­duced sev­eral fine saves to deny the sharp-look­ing visi­tors.

En­field started on the front foot af­ter the break, as Ryan Blake punched on a Jack Higgs header to nar­rowly miss the tar­get.

Af­ter Blake squan­dered a glo­ri­ous op­por­tu­nity late on, Co­mas kept his side in the tie with another su­perb save to deny Ward-Cochrane. Else­where, Col­ney Heath bat­tled back from three goals down to draw 3-3 with Burgess Hill in a six-goal thriller.

A Pat Harding goal and a brace from Bran­don Diau put the visi­tors in the driv­ing seat.

But Heath sparked a sec­ond-half resur­gence af­ter a dou­ble from Cal­lum Du­drenec and an 84th-minute equaliser from Jack Wood. It was a sim­i­lar story for AFC Mans­field and Rushall Olympic who are still in the hat af­ter a 0-0 en­counter.

Else­where, Adrian Stone scored a late minute equaliser as Glebe forced a re­play with Phoenix Sports in a great ad­vert for Non-League foot­ball.

Jack Hop­kins poked the visi­tors ahead early on to give Phoenix a slen­der ad­van­tage at the break, be­fore Frankie Sawyers dou­bled the lead from the spot af­ter the re-start.

But Glebe dis­played great re­silience as Luke Miller re­duced Phoenix’s lead to a goal on the 50minute mark, be­fore Stone equalised late on.

Brid­port and Cad­bury Heath are both still in the hat for Mon­day's third qual­i­fy­ing round draw af­ter the two teams’ 2-2. They will be joined by

Ayles­bury United, who marched into the third round af­ter a 2-1 win over Bal­dock, as Ryan Kin­nane and Tyriq Hunte sent The Ducks through.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.