The Non-League Football Paper - - FA CUP SECOND ROUND QUALIFYING - By Matt Webb

SLOUGH TOWN twice came from be­hind against Bostik Pre­mier Dul­wich Ham­let, who were re­duced to ten men in first-half stop­page time.

This tie be­tween two of the strong­est sides in their re­spec­tive di­vi­sions was ex­pected by many to be an en­ter­tain­ing con­test, and it did not dis­ap­point as the 712 sup­port­ers in at­ten­dance were treated to a great ad­vert for the fa­mous old com­pe­ti­tion.

Dur­ing a tight open­ing 45 min­utes, both sides en­joyed pas­sages of pos­ses­sion, but chances were few and far be­tween.

Dul­wich’s Nyren Clu­nis was de­nied by Jack Turner af­ter a short back­pass had put the ‘keeper in trou­ble, and the dan­ger­ous Dumebi Du­maka saw a strike held by Turner be­fore he later had a goal dis­al­lowed by an off-side flag.

Slough also had their mo­ments, but too of­ten their fi­nal ball was lack­ing and as a re­sult, they did not regis­ter a shot on tar­get in the first half.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, the game came to life when Sanchez Ming caught Slough winger Matt Lench with a high boot, and ref­eree Stephen Bates de­cided it war­ranted a straight red card.

Slough joint man­ager Neil Baker had sym­pa­thy for Dul­wich.

“I don’t think [it was a red card] per­son­ally. It’s a topi­cal is­sue at the mo­ment, and that’s the rea­son he’s been sent off.”

Slough’s for­tunes turned as quickly as the weather at Ar­bour Park as heavy rain started to fall.

The sec­ond half was less than a minute old when Turner kept out Clu­nis’ strike, but the re­sult­ing cor­ner was headed firmly past him by Mark Weather­stone to give Dul­wich the lead. Slough re­sponded strongly and, af­ter forc­ing a se­ries of cor­ners, Brad Wad­kins di­verted a shot past Pre­ston Ed­wards to equalise. The home side looked the more likely to score next, and made changes as they looked to win the game, but they shot them­selves in the foot af­ter fail­ing to clear the ball led to Clu­nis fir­ing the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner on 75 min­utes. Just three min­utes later, Slough were level again through the al­lac­tion Lee Tog­well, who fin­ished neatly from James Dob­son’s cross. And six min­utes from time, Dul­wich’s re­sis­tance was bro­ken as Manny Williams touched Chris Flood’s cross past Ed­wards to turn the game on its head. “We’ve shown bril­liant char­ac­ter to come back twice and then go and win it”, said Baker.

PIC­TURE: Gary House

WAD A WAY TO GO! Brad Wad­kins is all smiles af­ter equal­is­ing for Slough Town in their come-from-be­hind win against Dul­wich

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.