The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By Mark Cur­rie

WREX­HAM boss Dean Keates be­lieves ref­eree Neil Hair cost his side vic­tory over strug­gling Ley­ton Ori­ent at the Race­course.

The Dragons led twice thanks to a double from Chris Hol­royd but the vis­i­tors, without a win in their pre­vi­ous nine out­ings, grabbed a share of the spoils thanks to a late equaliser from de­fender Mark El­lis.

Keates, who had de­scribed last Tues­day’s 2-0 de­feat at AFC Fylde as the worst per­for­mance of the sea­son, said: “That’s points dropped to­day be­cause there were two mis­takes and we’ve conceded two goals.

“But there was a re­sponse from Tues­day night and we scored af­ter 45 sec­onds.

“We should have had two stonewall penal­ties and how the ref­eree hasn’t given them I have no idea.

“Their keeper came for one ball and wiped Chris Hol­royd out and then their lad went through the back of Jack Mack­reth but, be­cause their keeper was on the ground, the ref gave noth­ing. But we played on the front foot, we were not that far from where we need to be and the league is wide open at the mo­ment.”

The home side made a dream start with a goal in the first minute when a neat build-up down the left gave Paul Ruther­ford space for a cross which was headed home by the preda­tory Hol­royd.

The vis­i­tors hit back on 22 min­utes when Ma­cauley Bonne’s spec­u­la­tive cross-shot beat goal­keeper Chris Dunn and found its way into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net to level the con­test.

The longer the match went on the more frus­trated the home side were at their in­abil­ity to find a way through and they were for­tu­nate not to fall be­hind mid­way through the sec­ond half when a rare Ori­ent foray re­sulted in James Day­ton’s pow­er­ful drive strik­ing Dunn’s cross­bar.

And Wrex­ham made the most of that let-off in the 71st minute when Ruther­ford got to the by­line and crossed for Hol­royd to double his tally with a crisp fin­ish from close range.

But Ori­ent re­fused to be beaten and dragged them­selves level for a sec­ond time with just five min­utes left on the clock, a thun­der­ing header from El­lis giv­ing Dunn no chance.

Ori­ent boss Steve Davis was pleased with the point, adding: “I thought we bat­tled well. We fought back twice and I was de­lighted with their at­ti­tude. We want to play foot­ball but we have to do the dirty side of the game as well.

“To­day there were signs of that and it felt like a win be­cause we got some­thing from the game af­ter go­ing be­hind not once but twice.”

PIC­TURE: Alun Roberts

HOL LOTTA FUN! Chris Hol­royd is mobbed af­ter putting Wrex­ham in front in the first minute,later can­celled out by Ley­ton Ori­ent’s Ma­cauley Bonne in­set

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.