The Non-League Football Paper - - FA CUP SECOND ROUND - By Ben Rear­don

HERE­FORD boss Peter Bea­dle was proud of the char­ac­ter that his South­ern League out­fit showed as they se­cured them­selves a place in the FA Cup third round draw by frus­trat­ing Fleet­wood. Mid­fielder Calvin Dins­ley el­e­gantly curled the sev­enth-tier vis­i­tors into the lead mid­way through the first-half, but it was short-lived as Devante Cole lev­elled for Fleet­wood min­utes later. After the break, Here­ford, who were backed by a strong and vo­cal sup­port that had made the long jour­ney to the north west, sti­fled Fleet­wood through­out and earned a place in the hat along­side the Premier League’s big boys. Bea­dle said: “I have a huge amount of pride for the play­ers as they put in fan­tas­tic shift and ef­fort. They showed great char­ac­ter and I thought they have earned the chance to be in the third round draw. “I thought the goal was great and we scored it at the per­fect time, it set­tled us down and it is a shame that we couldn’t hold on un­til half-time. “Calvin Dins­ley wasn’t even sup­posed to be in the start­ing line-up, so it was a nice fin­ish from him, but we showed great char­ac­ter. “I’ll watch the third round draw qui­etly at home with the fam­ily and we will see who we draw. If we draw a Premier League team away from home, then great, but it can’t dis­tract us. If we can per­form with the same char­ac­ter, we can make Edgar Street an un­com­fort­able place for any team.” Fol­low­ing a bright start to the sec­ond-round tie, Here­ford sent their 977 trav­el­ling sup­port­ers into delir­ium after 23 min­utes when the ball dropped to Dins­ley on the edge of the area, who pro­ceeded to bend his shot into the bot­tom left cor­ner be­yond Chris Neal’s dive. How­ever, Fleet­wood re­stored par­ity on the half-hour mark as Lewie Coyle’s cross from the right was met by Cole, who coolly di­verted past goal­keeper Martin Horsell. In the sec­ond half, phoenix club Here­ford con­tin­ued to frus­trate Fleet­wood to lim­ited open­ings. Fleet­wood chucked ev­ery­thing they had at Here­ford in an at­tempt to find a win­ner, with Ashley Hunter hit­ting the post, but Bea­dle’s men re­mained re­silient to se­cure a well-earned re­play, which will be played at Edgar Street. Fleet­wood boss Uwe Rosler said: “In the first 20 min­utes, we con­trolled the game, which was our aim. In the sec­ond half, the game was re­ally open, which suited them – we had four or five chances but we didn’t use them cor­rectly. “We caused our­selves prob­lems by let­ting them score the first goal and we should have done bet­ter to deal with the game.”

PIC­TURE: Steven Ni­blett

GET IN THERE! Calvin Dins­ley scores for Here­ford and, be­low, the Bulls cel­e­brate their draw at Fleet­wood

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.