Two Oban teams con­test fi­nal of the Ar­gyll and Bute Cup tour­na­ment

Saints de­feat Ath­letic in fi­nal

The Oban Times - - Sport -

OBAN Saints rounded off their busy pre-sea­son sched­ule in the best pos­si­ble style by win­ning the Ar­gyll and Bute Cup in Lochgilp­head last Satur­day.

In what was to prove a very good day for Oban football in gen­eral, Saints de­feated the tour­na­ment’s sur­prise pack­age, Oban Ath­letic, in the fi­nal af­ter three group sec­tion games and a semi-fi­nal.

The eight par­tic­i­pat­ing teams were di­vided into two groups of four, each play­ing once in matches last­ing forty min­utes. Group One at the Rope­work Park con­sisted of hosts and tro­phy hold­ers, Lochgilp­head Red Star, Dunoon, Tar­bert and a youth­ful St Mir­ren side drafted in to re­place Rothe­say Bran­dane who were un­able to at­tend. On the all­weather sur­face at Lochgilp­head Joint Cam­pus, Group Two was con­tested by Oban Saints, Camp­bel­town Pupils and tour­na­ment debu­tants, Dunoon Ath­letic and Oban Ath­letic.

Group Stages - Saints and Dunoon Ath­letic got things un­der­way in Group Two where two goals from Craig MacEwan gave the Oban side a 2-1 win over their Dunoon op­po­nents.

The open­ing match in Group One saw hosts Lochgilp­head Red Star lose out 2 - 1 to 2006 cup win­ners, Dunoon. This was quickly fol­lowed by a con­vinc­ing 3 - 1 win for the young­sters of St Mir­ren over Tar­bert who were hand­i­capped by the tour­na­ment’s only red card for a first half hand­ball on the goal line.

Back in Group Two, Ar­gyll and Bute Cup new boys, Oban Ath­letic, put in a very good per­for­mance be­fore los­ing out 1 - 0 to Camp­bel­town Pupils.

Ath­letic re­mained on the pitch for match three where they would face Oban Saints for the very first time. With a num­ber of for­mer Saints play­ers in their ranks, and man­aged by for­mer Saint, Steven MacLeod, this promised to be a very in­ter­est­ing en­counter and a mis­take from Saints keeper, Thomas McCul­loch, gave Ath­letic’s Craig Camp­bell the chance to send a loop­ing header into the net to give his side a 1- 0 win.

Back at the Rope­work, Red Star gained their only point of the day in a 0 - 0 draw with St Mir­ren while Dunoon kept up their win­ning start de­feat­ing Tar­bert 1 - 0.

The un­ex­pected de­feat against Oban Ath­letic and Camp­bel­town Pupils 1 - 0 win over Dunoon Ath­letic left Saints need­ing to beat Pupils in their fi­nal match to main­tain their chances of pro­gress­ing to the knock- out stages and this they did thanks to goals from Don­nie Camp­bell and Shaun MacIver in a close fought 2-1 win.

Oban won the bat­tle of the Ath­let­ics 3 - 0 thanks to a hat­trick from for­mer Saints player, Colin Tin­dal, see­ing them safely through to the semi-fi­nals as group win­ners on goal dif­fer­ence elim­i­nat­ing Camp­bel­town Pupils into the bar­gain.

In Group One, Red Star’s de­fence of the tro­phy stut­tered to a halt af­ter a 3 - 0 de­feat to Tar­bert leav­ing Dunoon and St Mir­ren to fight it out for top spot which the young Bud­dies duly earned by beat­ing the Dunoon men 2 - 0.

The third and fourth place play- offs were staged on the all­weather pitch at Lochgilp­head Joint Cam­pus where, in the first match, Tar­bert and Dunoon Ath­letic drew 1 - 1 with the sides elect­ing not to pro­ceed to a penalty shoot- out. Camp­bel­town Pupils and Lochgilp­head Red Star con­tested the sec­ond play off which ended goal­less be­fore Pupils even­tu­ally pre­vailed in the penalty shoot- out.

Semi-fi­nals - Oban Saints faced the Pais­ley Saints in the first semi-fi­nal with the Oban lads com­ing fly­ing out of the traps to take the lead in­side sixty sec­onds. through Allan MacKay

Oban Saints in­creased their lead when per­sis­tent play on the right wing from Kevin Keen won a cor­ner which Ross Mait­land placed straight onto Don­ald Camp­bell’s fore­head for the Saints skip­per to bullet an un­stop­pable header into the net to make the score 2 - 0.

The Bud­dies were pre­sented with an op­por­tu­nity to get back into the game when they were awarded a penalty but Saints’ keeper, Thomas McCul­loch, made a fine save from the spot kick.

In the sec­ond semi-fi­nal, Oban Ath­letic re­cov­ered from a 1 - 0 half-time deficit to equalise through Kris Gillies in the sec­ond pe­riod send­ing the tie to a penalty shoot- out.

The for­mat was to be three penal­ties each be­fore sud­den death.

Dunoon scored with the first penalty be­fore Kris Gillies lev­elled for Ath­letic. Graham Dou­glas saved the sec­ond Dunoon kick giv­ing Scott John­ston the chance to put Ath­letic ahead which he duly com­pleted.

The third Dunoon penalty was missed send­ing Oban Ath­letic through to the fi­nal for the sec­ond Oban derby match of the day.

The Fi­nal - Saints won the toss and elected to kick up the slope in the first half. The Ath­letic game plan was iden­ti­cal to the first match. How­ever, by this time, their legs and minds were be­gin­ning to tire and Saints had a far eas­ier task in find­ing the gaps in their over­worked de­fence.

In the sixth minute, Stephen Kelly brought down Lewis Cameron twenty five yards from goal giv­ing Saints a free kick in a dan­ger­ous po­si­tion. Allan MacKay took the kick which Graham Dou­glas got a hand to but couldn’t keep out of the net.

Two min­utes later, Saints were two in front, Graham Dou­glas made an ex­cel­lent save from a Lewis Cameron shot turn­ing the ball round the post for a cor­ner.

Lewis took the cor­ner from the Saints right where Dou­glas made another good stop from a Don­ald Camp­bell header but was pow­er­less to stop Myles McAu­ley from head­ing the re­bound into the un­guarded net.

Saints ex­tended their lead on the quar­ter hour with a stun­ning Allan MacKay 25 yard strike from the cor­ner of the box which flew past Graham Dou­glas into the postage stamp cor­ner.

Saints kicked off the sec­ond half at­tack­ing the pav­il­ion end and quickly put the re­sult be­yond any doubt when David McArthur picked out Don­ald Camp­bell’s run into the box to al­l­low him to lift the ball over the ad­vanc­ing Graham Dou­glas and into the net to make the score 4- 0.

Ref­eree Jimmy Lit­ster, who to­gether with as­sis­tants, Jim Pear­son and John Scott, han­dled a sport­ing con­test be­tween the two Oban teams well, brought pro­ceed­ings to an end giv­ing Saints their eleventh Ar­gyll and Bute Cup suc­cess.

The par­tic­i­pat­ing teams re­tired to an af­ter tour­na­ment re­cep­tion in the Stag Ho­tel where on the call of Red Star chair­man, Dougie Moore, both Oban clubs were pre­sented with their win­ners and run­ners-up plaques by Ron­ald Sin­clair and John Docherty be­fore Saints’ cap­tain, Don­nie Camp­bell, was pre­sented with the Ar­gyll and Bute Cup. Don­nie was also voted the Player of the Tour­na­ment.

Photo: Derek Black

Ar­gyll and Bute Cup win­ners - Oban Saints

Photo: Derek Black

Saints’ striker, Allan MacKay, No 9, slams a 25 yard free kick past Oban Ath­letic goal­keeper, Graham Dou­glas, to open the scor­ing in the Ar­gyll and Bute Cup tour­na­ment fi­nal in Lochgilp­head last Satur­day.


Host club Lochgilp­head Red Star


Oban Saints’ cap­tain, Don­nie Camp­bell, pic­tured af­ter be­ing

pre­sented with the Ar­gyll and Bute Cup in the Stag Ho­tel

Photo: Derek Black Pr i n te d a n d d i s t r i b u te d by P ressReader

Don­nie Camp­bell, No 10, heads home Saints’ sec­ond goal in the semi fi­nal win over St Mir­ren


John Docherty and Ron­ald Sin­clair are pre­sented to the Oban

Ath­letic team be­fore the fi­nal


Oban Ath­letic goal­keeper, Graham Dou­glas, makes a great save in

the semi-fi­nal penalty shoot- out against Dunoon


Myles McAu­ley, No 18, heads home Saints’ sec­ond goal in the fi­nal


Ath­letic’s Scott John­ston gets a shot on tar­get dur­ing the semi-fi­nal


Oban Saints play­ers head out again af­ter the half-time break dur­ing

the fi­nal


Dunoon Ath­letic and Tar­bert fought out a 1-1

draw in their play- off match


Ac­tion from the Red Star v Camp­bel­town

Pupils game


Saints’ striker David Beaton takes a tum­ble un­der this chal­lenge from Ath­letic’s Stephen

Kelly dur­ing the fi­nal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.