New­ton­more de­feat Lochside in Suther­land Cup fi­nal

Kyles Ath­letic take on New­ton­more in sec­ond Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal at Taynuilt this week­end

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Ca­manachd Cup semi fi­nal

LO­VAT pro­gressed to the Ca­manachd Cup fi­nal on Satur­day, with a dra­matic ex­tra-time win over In­ver­aray.

Lo­vat took the lead in just two min­utes through Lewis Tawse, but In­ver­aray fired back two min­utes from half-time to level go­ing into the sec­ond half.

With no goals by the end of nor­mal play, the game went into ex­tra-time, and with no goals in the first pe­riod, looked to be head­ing to penal­ties.

How­ever, John MacRitchie’s men re­gained the ad­van­tage in 106 min­utes through Jamie Mathe­son, and sealed their place in next month’s fi­nal with a Kevin Bartlett goal in 115 min­utes.

Lo­vat travel to Drum­nadro­chit this Satur­day to face Glenurquhart in the league, with a 3pm throw-up.

IN­VER­ARAY were left with no cov­eted Ca­manachd Cup fi­nal place af­ter a 3-1 de­feat at the hands of an in-form Lo­vat side in the semi-fi­nal last Satur­day.

The men in yel­low and black ar­rived in Fort Wil­liam mi­nus some key play­ers caught up in de­lays caused by road ac­ci­dents on the A82. But they started brightly in spite of hav­ing to draft in some in­ex­pe­ri­enced cover.

The early signs were not good for In­ver­aray. Lewis Tawse had the north men in front just two min­utes into the game af­ter out­pac­ing the Aray de­fence.

The break­through came for the Ar­gyll club just be­fore half-time when Euan McMurdo bul­leted home the equaliser.

In­ver­aray had much of the sec­ond half play, but to no ef­fect as the 90 min­utes ended all-square.

Aray player-man­ager, Gary MacPher­son, had the ball in the net shortly af­ter the re-start, only for ref, Billy Wother­spoon, to chalk it off for an ear­lier push on Lo­vat de­fender, Drew Howie.

Jamie Mathe­son, on 106 min­utes, gained the ad­van­tage for Lo­vat with a smartly-taken goal.

Ten min­utes later it was Kevin Bartlett who took ad­van­tage of tir­ing In­ver­aray legs to se­cure Lo­vat’s first Ca­manachd fi­nal berth for 62 years.

In­ver­aray now have a home league tie to look for­ward to to­mor­row, ver­sus fel­low premier­ship strug­glers, Oban Ca­manachd.

Suther­land Cup Fi­nal

LOCHSIDE ROVERS suf­fered dis­ap­point­ment on Satur­day, los­ing 5- 0 in the Suther­land Cup fi­nal against New­ton­more’s sec­ond team in Fort Wil­liam.

Calum Stewart cel­e­brated his 21st birth­day in style, scor­ing all five goals for New­ton­more.

Rovers man­ager, Gareth Evans, said: ‘In the first half we played re­ally well, even though we went 1- 0 down in three min­utes, which per­haps our keeper should have done bet­ter with. Their keeper had three or four re­ally good saves too.

‘They got their sec­ond on the hour mark and then another two in the next ten min­utes, so by then it was over. All credit to New­ton­more, but I would say the score­line flat­tered them slightly.

‘It was a good ex­pe­ri­ence for the young guys though as they got that “big match” ex­pe­ri­ence.’

This Satur­day, Lochside take on Aber­dour in league ac­tion at Gana­van, with a 1.30pm throwup.

NEW­TON­MORE’S sec­ond side took home the Suther­land Cup on Satur­day, beat­ing Lochside Rovers 5- 0.

It was a mem­o­rable 21st birth­day for Calum Stewart, who scored all five goals for his team in the vic­tory at the Ju­bilee.

New­ton­more’s first team, who had no fix­ture as the ju­nior side were in the fi­nal, are on cup duty them­selves this week­end, as they face Kyles in the semi-fi­nal of the Ca­manachd Cup.

The win­ner of the tie will take on Lo­vat in the fi­nal next month, who sealed their place with a win against In­ver­aray on Satur­day in the other semi.

Satur­day’s match throws-up at 4pm, in Taynuilt.


FORT WIL­LIAM are gear­ing up for a premier­ship derby against Lochaber this week­end.

Vic­tor Smith’s men will welcome their ri­vals to An Aird on Satur­day and said he hopes they play bet­ter than the last time they met.

He adde: ‘I hope we turn up for this one be­cause we re­ally didn’t last time. Fort Wil­liam didn’t play well at all in the last derby and Lochaber played re­ally well. Other than two crack­ing goals we didn’t play well at all so I’ll be hop­ing for bet­ter so we can give the crowds some­thing to watch.’

The Fort men will be with­out Ste­vie Stewart and Ewen Camp­bell, who are both sus­pended, as well as Aaron MacPhee who is in­jured. LOCHABER don’t have far to travel this week­end when they make the short trip from Spean Bridge to Fort Wil­liam for the derby.

Ally Fer­gu­son’s men are likely to have a good crowd be­hind them when they play at An Aird on Satur­day to bal­ance out their ri­vals’ home ad­van­tage.

Lochaber are three points ahead, but Fort Wil­liam have two games in hand.

OBAN CA­MANACHD had a free week­end with ju­nior side, Lochside Rovers, play­ing in the fi­nal of the Suther­land Cup.

Ian Hay’s side meet In­ver­aray in a cru­cial league match at the Win­ter­ton on Satur­day.

A win would take Ca­manachd off the bot­tom of the ta­ble and leapfrog them into ninth po­si­tion, with In­ver­aray cur­rently one point ahead.

Ca­manachd still have three games in hand on their Ar­gyll ri­vals.

Satur­day’s game throws up at 3pm.

KYLES ATH­LETIC took on Kin­gussie at Kames Play­ing Fields, only for the home side to com­plete a trade­mark Kyles come­back to beat their Bade­noch ri­vals.

It took just over 20 min­utes for Kin­gussie to break the dead­lock through 19-year- old Rory MacGre­gor. Ten min­utes be­fore Lachie Wood’s half-time whis­tle, Rob­bie MacLeod lev­elled mat­ters. Two goals in two min­utes af­ter the re-start caught the visi­tors cold. The ever-im­prov­ing Grant Irvine sneaked his team ahead just a minute into the sec­ond pe­riod. Hu­man dy­namo, Gor­don Whyte, got the quick­fire sec­ond.

Rory MacGre­gor’s sec­ond for Kin­gussie 20 min­utes from the end was to prove a mere con­so­la­tion for his team, while Kyles cut the gap be­hind league lead­ers, New­ton­more to three points.

The win keeps the mo­men­tum go­ing for Kyles, who play New­ton­more in Taynuilt on Satur­day for the chance to face Lo­vat in next month’s Ca­manachd Cup Fi­nal.

GLENURQUHART get back in ac­tion af­ter a free week­end with a home game against Lo­vat this Satur­day. The game at Drum­nadro­chit will throw up at 3pm with ref­eree, Graham Cameron, in charge.

KIN­GUSSIE made the long rip to Tighnabru­aich last Satur­day, but trav­elled home on the wrong end of a 3-2 score­line. Rory MacGre­gor scored both goal for the Kings. This week­end the Bade­noch side have no fix­ture.

KIN­LOCHSHIEL will be idle for the sec­ond week in a row as they have no fix­ture al­lo­cated for this week­end

Na­tional Di­vi­sion

BAL­LACHUL­ISH will play Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll this Satur­day. The club did not have a match last week­end.

Satur­day’s game at the Ju­bilee play­ing field will throw up at 2.30pm. Bal­lachul­ish’s sec­ond team also play Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll at the Ju­bilee with a 12 noon throw up.

This weekiend will see KIL­MALLIE face their most im­por­tant game of the sea­son so far as they take on Skye to fight for the top spot.

The Caol men will travel to the is­land in a game that could see them knocked from first place in the league.

The ri­vals are neck and neck on 13 points, with Kil­mallie edg­ing ahead on goal dif­fer­ence, and, with both teams fight­ing for pro­mo­tion, it will be ev­ery­thing to play for.

Kil­mallie man­ager, Mark MacPher­son, said: ‘It’s all square at the top so this is a mas­sive game. We will have to play a lot bet­ter than we did in our last game against Caber­feidh. If we play at our full po­ten­tial we have a good chance of win­ning but Skye are a good team, es­pe­cially at home, so I know it won’t be easy.’

Seb MacMil­lan and Mark Graham will both be miss­ing from Satur­day’s squad.

SKYE CA­MANACHD trav­elled for more than eight hours to play against Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll last Satur­day. There were road traf­fic ac­ci­dents on the A82 and A83 through Ar­rochar and past Loch Lomond which led to lengthy road clo­sures as the team made their way down.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll of­fered Skye the chance to post­pone, but the team were de­ter­mined to make their way to Glas­gow and pick up the two points that would put them on a par with Kil­mallie at the top of the ta­ble.

The team ar­rived two hours late for the throw up but af­ter a tough game, walked off the park with a 2- 0 vic­tory.

John MacLeod, Skye man­ager, said: ‘ Fair play to Mid Ar­gyll, they gave us the op­por­tu­nity to turn back and go home, but the play­ers wanted to carry on. It was the right at­ti­tude.’

This Satur­day the Skye squad will take on lead­ers of the league, Kil­mallie, at Pairc nan Laoch in Portree at 2.30pm.

The team hopes to se­cure the points and goals that will knock Kil­mallie off top spot.

South Divisin One

GLENORCHY’S game with Kil­mory was post­poned as the Mid Ar­gyll club could not raise a team due to the Mid Ar­gyll show tak­ing place last Satur­day. The game will be re-sched­uled for a later date. This week­end the Mart park side are at home to Bute with a 2.30pm throw up. Glenorchy’s sec­ond team game away to Tay­forth was also post­poned. This match has been re-ar­ranged for Au­gust 29.

OBAN CELTIC man­ager, Davy Hamil­ton, said his side will be look­ing to take ev­ery point they can now, as the sea­son nears an end.

With four games to play and sit­ting in third place in the league, Celtic are still in the run­ning to win the Marine Harvest South Di­vi­sion One. His side lost 3-2 to Taynuilt on Fri­day evening, at Gana­van, which is also the venue of his side’s tie against Kyles this Satur­day.

Hamil­ton said: ‘It was the same old story on Fri­day, we just strug­gled to put the ball in the net, de­spite hav­ing the ma­jor­ity of the play, es­pe­cially in the sec­ond half. We pulled it back to 3-2 and tried our best to get another one, but it just wasn’t to be.

‘I think it’s a prob­lem ev­ery team has at some point, so if you get a goal-scorer you can rely on to get you one or two goals ev­ery game, you’re onto a win­ner.’

Dis­cussing the up­com­ing Kyles tie, Hamil­ton said: ‘ We’re get­ting back to al­most a full squad, in­jury-wise, but it’s al­ways dif­fi­cult to con­sis­tently put the same team out each week be­cause of work and other com­mit­ments - I think ev­ery team has the same prob­lem.

‘ We have to take ev­ery point we can now un­til the end of the sea­son, and get back onto that win­ning streak.’

Satur­day’s game at Gana­van throws up at 12 noon.

TAYNUILT recorded a nar­row 3-2 win over Oban Celtic last Fri­day evening at Gana­van thanks to goals from Jamie MacFar­lane, David Graham and Mark Begeant. This Satur­day, Taynuilt will travel to take on In­ver­aray at the Win­ter­ton. The game will throw up at 12 noon.

Two sec­ond-half goals from BUTE were enough to see off Aber­dour last Satur­day. Play­ing on the Fife coast, Dun­can David­son scored the opener be­fore Neil McKirdy added the gloss a minute be­fore full-time.

A good crowd turned up at IN­VER­ARAY’S Win­ter­ton Park last Satur­day lunchtime to wit­ness an en­ter­tain­ing Loch Fyne-side derby.

Visi­tors Stra­chur pressed the home de­fence from the start and scored the opener through Ste­vie Bul­loch on the quar­ter hour mark. Stra­chur con­tin­ued to play well, but the In­ver­aray de­fence held out. A penalty, scored by Robert Wood af­ter half an hour, lev­elled mat­ters. In­ver­aray im­proved greatly in the sec­ond half and had a good deal of the play, but a closely-fought match ended 1-1. Aray re­main top of the ten-team league with five games of the sea­son re­main­ing.

An im­prov­ing STRA­CHUR side, sit­ting in eighth place in the league, inches ever closer to league safety af­ter a slow start to the 2015 sea­son. A club spokesman said: ‘The boys bat­tled well against In­ver­aray and I’m pleased with the at­ti­tude they have shown in re­cent games. If we con­tinue with the same en­thu­si­asm we should stay in the di­vi­sion, which would give us some­thing to build on for next sea­son.’

KIL­MORY’S away league game against Glenorchy was scratched af­ter the Lochgilp­head side was un­able to field a team. The tie is to be re-sched­uled.

South Di­vi­sion Two

OBAN LORN had no game last Satur­day. This week­end, the Oban side travel to take on Bute at the Mead­ows - throw up 2pm.

COL GLEN had no game last week­end. This Satur­day they travel to take on Glenorchy at Mart Park with a 12 noon throw up.

North Di­vi­sion Two

GLEN­GARRY shinty club an­nounced that they will host the semi-fi­nal of the Strath­ern Cup, the same week the team won 4-1.

The ‘Garry boys took on Strath­spey on Satur­day and were pleased with their vic­tory.

This Satur­day, the young team will com­pete against Kin­lochshiel and hope to beat the team that keeps on thrash­ing them in the run for the cup.

CHAM­PAGNE CHAR­LIES: A ju­bi­lant New­ton­more squad spray the cham­pagne af­ter beat­ing Lochside Rovers 5- 0 in the fi­nal of the Suther

land Cup. Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

Photo: Neil Pater­son

Lo­vat’s Ali Cru­den and Ali Mac­don­ald from In­ver­aray chal­lenge for the ball dur­ing last Satur­day’s Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal at

An Aird. Lo­vat won 3-1

Lochside’s Ross MacMil­lan tries to stop five- goal New­ton­more

hit-man, Calum Stewart Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

Jim Barr, pres­i­dent of the Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion, meets the Lochside play­ers be­fore the Suther­land Cup fi­nal

FIVE OF THE BEST: New­ton­more’s Calum Stewart cel­e­brated his 21st birth­day by scor­ing all five goals in the Suther­land Cup fi­nal

at Bal­lachul­ish. Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.