Kyles put pres­sure on ’More at the top of the premier­ship Premier­ship

The Oban Times - - Sport -

LO­VAT lost 3-1 at home to Glenurquhart last Fri­day night, de­spite the first half end­ing 0- 0.

All four of the games’ goals were scored in a 13-minute frenzy, with Ryan Fer­gu­son get­ting on the score sheet for Lo­vat.

Man­ager, John MacRitchie, said: ‘ We didn’t play that well. We had a few boys miss­ing and our minds are fo­cused on the fi­nal. But a pos­i­tive to take from the game was that we never got any more in­juries or book­ings.

‘ We have six or seven boys out again for this Satur­day rest­ing for the fi­nal.’

Lo­vat are now train­ing three times a week to pre­pare for the Ca­manachd Cup fi­nal on Septem­ber 19.

They take on In­ver­aray at home this Satur­day, with a 2.30pm throw up.

FORT WIL­LIAM fought back to gain a share of the points against Oban Ca­manchd, with a last-minute goal from Gordie MacKin­non.

Af­ter a goal-less first half, Mal­colm Clark opened the scor­ing in the 53rd minute, look­ing set to take home both points be­fore the Fort equaliser in the fi­nal sec­onds.

Fort Wil­liam man­ager, Vic­tor Smith, said: ‘ Oban re­ally de­served the two points so we were de­lighted to get it back in the last minute. Oban had more chances than we did, but never re­ally hit the tar­get.’

This week­end, Fort Wil­liam welcome Kyles Ath­letic to An Aird to play both in the league and for the Drew Fer­gu­son cup, in mem­ory of a Fort Wil­liam player who died in 2013.

MacKin­non will be miss­ing from Satur­day’s line up but Ste­vie Stewart is back from sus­pen­sion.

LOCHABER will be well rested af­ter a free week­end ahead of their clash against Oban Ca­manachd on Satur­day.

Ally Fer­gu­son’s men will host the match at Spean Bridge in what will be Oban’s sec­ond trip to Lochaber in as many weeks, af­ter they drew with Fort Wil­liam last week­end.

Lochaber are favourites to win as they are nine points ahead of Oban, de­spite slip­ping a place in the league ta­ble this week.

OBAN CA­MANACHD had to set­tle for a share of the points last Satur­day af­ter Fort Wil­liam equalised in the last minute to make it 1-1.

Man­ager, Ian Haye, said: ‘ In the first half, we had four or five good chances and most of the pos­ses­sion.

‘In the sec­ond half, we had most of the pos­ses­sion again and man­aged to get a goal through Mal­colm Clark in the 54th minute.But in the last five to ten min­utes, Fort pressed on and man­aged to get a last minute goal.

‘I was gut­ted. We had 80 per cent of the pos­ses­sion, but just couldn’t kill the game off and score a sec­ond goal.’

Ca­manachd at are home to Lochaber this week­end with a 2.30pm throw up at Moss­field.

The end of sea­son matches get no eas­ier for bot­tom of the league IN­VER­ARAY. Fresh from the Macau­lay Cup fi­nal de­feat at the hands of New­ton­more last week­end, the Fy­nesiders this week face a jour­ney to play Ca­manachd Cup fi­nal­ists, Lo­vat. In­ver­aray will travel with­out the ser­vices of vet­eran goal­keeper, Graham MacPher­son, who put in a man- of-the-match per­for­mance in the Macau­lay fi­nal. Tak­ing MacPher­son’s place is likely to be promis­ing young goalie, Scott Ma­cLach­lan.

For the sec­ond week in suc­ces­sion, GLENURQUHART took on lo­cal ri­vals, Lo­vat, last Fri­day evening.

Af­ter a stale­mate seven days ear­lier, visi­tors Glenurquhart tri­umphed 3-1 thanks to three sec­ond-half goals by Neale Reid (2) and Ewen Brady.

A trip to the Kyles is never straight­for­ward, but KIN­LOCHSHIEL put up a good show­ing un­til Matthew MacColl nicked the points for Kyles with a goal on 61 min­utes. The de­feat sees Shiel stay in sev­enth place in the premier­ship.

KYLES ATH­LETIC are back on league busi­ness af­ter their heady vic­tory over New­ton­more in the semi-fi­nal of the Ca­manachd Cup the week be­fore, as they se­cured a very use­ful home win over Kin­lochshiel in last Satur­day’s en­counter. With New­ton­more oc­cu­pied on Macau­lay Cup fi­nal busi­ness, the Kyles win sees the Cowal side close the gap on ’More at the top of the league to just a sin­gle point.

A po­ten­tially tricky tie awaits this week­end at Fort Wil­liam, with a win surely es­sen­tial for Kyles in the chase for the ti­tle.

Na­tional Di­vi­sion

Thrash­ing Beauly 6- 0 at home was a mas­sive vic­tory for KIL­MALLIE, but not enough to edge them closer to league ri­vals, Skye.

Liam Mac­Don­ald’s four goals in the first half meant it was plain sail­ing for the Caol side, but another one each for John Stewart and Liam Cameron en­sured there was no catch­ing up for Beauly.

The high score and two points was welcome news for man­ager, Mark MacPher­son, but it wasn’t enough to put them back at the top as first-place Skye beat Bal­lachul­ish 13- 0.

MacPher­son said: ‘That’s the best we’ve played all sea­son. I’m re­ally happy with that per­for­mance, but Skye won 13- 0 so we’re still eight goals be­hind them. We’ll need to score loads in the rest of our games. We know we’re def­i­nitely in the play- offs but it would be good to get back to the top.’

This Satur­day Kil­mallie face In­ver­ness away, with­out the week­end’s top scorer, Liam Mac­Don­ald. They will also be with­out Mark Graham but MacPher­son is con­fi­dent he still has a strong squad.

Al­ready sit­ting at the top of the league ta­ble, a move up to the premier di­vi­sion is look­ing promis­ing for SKYE CA­MANACHD af­ter the team’s 13- 0 win against Bal­lachul­ish.

The team ran amok at Ju­bilee park last Satur­day and stole the show with goals from Kenny Camp­bell (2), Jor­dan Murchi­son (5), Danny Mor­ri­son (4), Jonathan Ma­cLen­nan and John Gillies.

Skye are at home to Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll this Satur­day.

BAL­LACHUL­ISH hosted no­to­ri­ously fast starters, Skye, at the Ju­bilee last week­end and ob­vi­ously never heeded the warn­ing as they were two down in two min­utes.

Bal­lachul­ish ac­tu­ally com­peted well in early ex­changes, but were no match for the free-flow­ing Skye team, who im­pressed all over the pitch. The home team had good show­ings from Cameron Suther­land in goal and Cian MacPhee mak­ing a re­turn af­ter sus­pen­sion at full cen­tre, but they were never go­ing to be able to com­pete with the strong vis­it­ing team.

Bal­lachul­ish will look for­ward to see­ing out a dis­ap­point­ing sea­son and can only hope to build for the fu­ture. They first team have no fix­ture this week­end, but the sec­onds travel to take on Oban Lorn af­ter draw­ing 3-3 at home to Tay­forth last Satur­day.

South Di­vi­sion One

GLENORCHY’S game against Bute was can­celled on Satur­day, as Glenorchy were un­able to field a team.

Glenorchy are now sit­ting bot­tom of South Di­vi­sion 1.

They are away to Taynuilt this Satur­day with a 2.30pm throw up.

LOCHSIDE ROVERS won 3-1 away to Kil­mory on Satur­day.

Kil­mory opened the scor­ing af­ter just 20 sec­onds, but Lochside were quick to equalise.

Lochside then scored twice be­fore the 20 minute mark to make it 3-1 with goals com­ing from Scott Demp­ster and an Evan Maclel­lan dou­ble.

Man­ager, Gareth Evans, said: ‘The scor­ing was done in 20 min­utes.

‘Af­ter that we weren’t great, but we al­ways knew it was go­ing to be a hard game.’

‘We have a cou­ple of boys out for next week, but we might be lucky, we might get a few of the our play­ers back from the se­niors who could use the min­utes.’

Lochside are away to Kyles Ath­letic this Satur­day with a 1pm throw up.

TAYNUILT were with­out a fix­ture last week­end.

They are at home to Glenorchy this Satur­day who are cur­rently sit­ting bot­tom of the league with a 2.30pm throw up. There was more dis­ap­point­ment for KIL­MORY in the league on Satu­day. Three early goals for vis­it­ing Lochside Rovers set­tled things, with Kil­mory’s con­so­la­tion com­ing from Craig Tay­lor. Kil­mory are propped up at the bot­tom of the league by Glenorchy, the sides sep­a­rated by goal dif­fer­ence. This week­end it’s the long away trip to Aber­dour for the in­jury-rav­aged Mid Ar­gyll side, with points vi­tal for the men in ma­roon.

Oban Celtic raced into a 4- 0 half-time lead on a bumpy Gana­van pitch in Satur­day’s league en­counter with STRA­CHUR.

A reshuf­fle for the de­pleted visi­tors saw them in­sti­gate a lit­tle panic in the green and white ranks af­ter claw­ing back two goals, but Oban Celtic held on to win 5-2.

There was another shocker at the Kyles, as Aber­dour were the latest side to hand out a thump­ing to KYLES ATH­LETIC’S sec­ond string. Vet­eran Peter Mobeck scored for Kyles, but a brace from the Fife out­fit ei­ther side of half-time en­sured the points were head­ing back east. Another tough task awaits the Kyles team on Satur­day, as they host Lochside Rovers at Kames Play­ing Fields.

BUTE’S home game against Glenorchy was post­poned last Satur­day when the Dal­mally side could not raise a team. This week the is­lan­ders travel to play Oban Celtic

South Di­vi­sion Two

OBAN LORN were with­out a fix­ture last Satur­day, they will take on Bal­lachul­ish at home this Satur­day with a 12pm throw up.

COL GLEN reurn to league duty this week­end af­ter hav­ing no fix­ture last Satur­day. They travel over the Kyles to take on near neigh­bours Bute at the Mead­ows

Strathdearn Cup

Af­ter a free Satur­day last week­end, GLEN­GARRY should be rar­ing to go when they travel to the Bught park in In­ver­ness to take on New­ton­more in the fi­nal of the Strathdearn Cup. The game throws up at 3pm with ref­eree Andy Ma­clean in charge

Photo: Neil Pater­son

The vic­to­ri­ous New­ton­more squad celebrate win­ing the Macau­lay Cup at Moss­field Sta­dium last Satur­day.

Photo: Don­ald Cameron

Fort Wil­liam’s Alexan­der Cameron shields the ball from Beauly’s MacKay Mur­ray dur­ing their North Di­vi­sion One game. Fort Wil­liam

won 3-1

CLOSE EN­COUNTER: New­ton­more’s Glen Mack­in­tosh and In­ver­aray’s An­drew McMurdo dur­ing the Macau­lay Cup fi­nal.

Photo: Neil Pater­son

In­ver­aray goal­keeper, Graham ‘ Toad’ MacPher­son, was voted man of the match for his per­for­mance in the Macau­lay Cup fi­nal.

Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

Photo: John Paul Pee­bles, The Write Im­age

Oban Ca­manachd’s Garry Lord closely marked by Fort Wil­liam’s Gordie MacKin­non and Alex MacMil­lan dur­ing the Premier­ship

match at An Aird which ended in a 1-1 draw

Photo: Neil Pater­son

Lo­vat's Ryan Fer­gu­son is closely marked by the Glenurquhart de­fend­ers, Ali Mack­in­tosh and Con­nor Go­labek, dur­ing the Marine Harvest Premier­ship match played last Fri­day evening at Bal­gate,

Kil­tar­l­ity. The Glens won 3-1

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.