Heavy de­feat for Green Ma­chine in May­bole

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Car­rick 51 Oban Lorne 5

BT West Di­vi­sion 1

OBAN Lorne trav­elled to May­bole in Ayr­shire on Satur­day to take on sec­ond placed Car­rick RFC. The Green Ma­chine have never lost to Car­rick and have had some fan­tas­tic games with the Ayr­shire men over the last few years with Car­rick fail­ing to score a try against Oban in the last three meet­ings.

A thread­bare Oban squad of 17 play­ers trav­elled for the match with the squad miss­ing some key play­ers due to work com­mit­ments and in­jury. Fin­lay Carmichael re­turned at stand off while Vasil Borisov made his first start on the wing.

Car­rick went ahead early on scor­ing from a catch and drive at the li­ne­out to lead 7- 0 in some very poor weather con­di­tions.

Oban were strug­gling to cope with the quick game plan from the hosts and found them­selves 12- 0 down con­ced­ing an­other try. Car­rick ex­tended their lead with two penal­ties be­fore scor­ing their third try of the day shortly be­fore half­time for a 23- 0 lead.

Car­rick se­cured the bonus point shortly af­ter half­time to lead con­vinc­ingly 30- 0.

Oban im­proved into the lat­ter stages of the game but con­ceded three fur­ther tries, the re­sult of some poor in­di­vid­ual er­rors . The Green Ma­chine did hit back with a con­so­la­tion try from Robin MacQueen late on but fell to a very dis­ap­point­ing 51-5 de­feat. This is Oban Lorne’s heav­i­est de­feat in over four years of league rugby. The re­sult means they sit in fifth place in the ta­ble with three wins out of five matches.

The team will be hop­ing to get back to win­ning ways on Satur­day with the visit of Garnock RFC to Glen­cruit­ten. Garnock sit sev­enth in the ta­ble and will pro­vide a tough test for the home side. Kick off is 2pm.

Cowal 33 Ar­gyll and Bute 16

BT West Di­vi­sion 4

AR­GYLL and Bute RFC put in a spir­ited dis­play against Ar­gyll ri­vals Cowal RFC in Dunoon last Satur­day de­spite a 33-16 loss.

Ar­gyll man­aged to field an 18-man squad de­spite miss­ing al­most all of last week’s back­line that played against Po­lice Scot­land.

Niall MacFar­lane played his first game at stand off while sev­eral other play­ers were forced to play out of po­si­tion.

Cowal made a good start to the game and went 7- 0 with an early try. Ar­gyll hit back with two Niall MacFar­lane penal­ties to nar­row the gap to 7- 6.

Ar­gyll were dealt a blow af­ter 20 min­utes when a Cowal prop left the field with a ‘mys­tery’ in­jury. With the hosts hav­ing no avail­able front row re­place­ments, the teams were forced to play un­con­tested scrums for the re­main­der of the game, much to the frus­tra­tion of the Ar­gyll pack.

The hosts ex­tended their lead be­fore half­time with a penalty kick and a sec­ond try from some poor Ar­gyll tack­ling. Sec­ond row Ross An­der­son was sin­binned shortly be­fore half­time for a late tackle.

Just as the game was look­ing to go out of Ar­gyll’s sight, the team hit back with a fan­tas­tic try scored in the cor­ner by Mid Ar­gyll’s Mark Charl­ton. Cowal led 15-11 at half­time.

Ar­gyll were happy with their first half dis­play de­spite let­ting the hosts in for two soft tries.

The con­fi­dence in the Ar­gyll team was short-lived as Cowal scored straight into the sec­ond half, again due to some poor tack­ling, to lead 22-11.

Ar­gyll man­aged to get them­selves back into the game with a fan­tas­tic score from a driv­ing maul by Vladi Mi­hov, 22-16.

The Ar­gyll team were now look­ing the stronger side but were un­done with some poor dis­ci­pline through­out the rest of the sec­ond half. First when Ar­gyll were look­ing likely to score an­other try, back row Rory Tait was carded for stamp­ing on a Cowal player in the rolling maul.

Sev­eral penal­ties con­ceded at the break­down from Ar­gyll re­sulted in the hosts dom­i­nat­ing the re­maider of the game by scor­ing an­other try and two fur­ther penal­ties. Ar­gyll’s try scorer Vladi Mi­hov was the third player to be sin­binned late on due to a high tackle.

De­spite an im­proved per­for­mance, Ar­gyll even­tu­ally went down 33-16.

Next week Ar­gyll and Bute host Shaw­lands RFC at Glen­cruit­ten. Kick off 2pm.

Lorne Ladies 0 Ste­wartry 57

BT Na­tional League Div 1

AF­TER a lot of rain and a few venue changes, Oban Lorne Ladies took on Ste­wartry at home with a squad of 14 play­ers – one more than the trav­el­ling team! Player match­ing en­sued and the game kicked off at 13 apiece.

Sit­ting third in the ta­ble, one place be­low the Green Army, Ste­wartry have had mixed form this sea­son and are 5-5 to Oban’s 8-2 record.

The first score of the game came in eight min­utes. The Ste­wartry num­ber nine, with a steady boot, con­verted the try mak­ing the score 0-7.

Oban kicked off again and put im­me­di­ate pres­sure on the away team keep­ing them in their own half. Some ex­cel­lent tack­les from the Oban cen­tres re­sulted in a knock- on and Oban scrum. Ste­wartry were then pe­nalised for wheel­ing the scrum and Oban made best use of the penalty with a crash ball to Alana MacKen­zie who made good gains to­wards the Ste­wartry 22.

Yet an­other ex­change of knock­ons re­sulted in five more scrums and an­other Ste­wartry at­tack put Oban un­der pres­sure with the ball grounded un­der the posts for the sec­ond Ste­wartry try which was again con­verted (0-14 at 22 min­utes).

An­other good phase by Oban saw great tack­les and hand offs. Au­drey Barr gath­ered the ball and off loaded to Laura MacCor­mack who then made a driv­ing run in to the Ste­wartry half.

Knock- ons were def­i­nitely the theme of the game with many more scrums in to the sec­ond half. This was the case for both teams, with Ste­wartry cap­i­tal­is­ing right on half time to make the score 0-19 af­ter they missed the con­ver­sion.

The Oban Ladies were solid in the line out and Veron­ica Speirs col­lected the ball no prob­lem and a good se­ries of passes saw the ball to Kerry Colthart, who kicked to re­live pres­sure on the de­fence.

Ste­wartry pressed on the wing as a re­sult and a great tackle from Au­drey Barr halted play for a line out. Af­ter a good phase of play and an away team off­side, the Oban penalty didn’t quite find touch and a Ste­wartry break­away re­sulted in an­other try two min­utes into the sec­ond half which was again con­verted by their (0-26).

Ste­warty backed up their score on four min­utes with an­other good run from their for­wards and a few missed tack­les from the Oban Ladies (0-33).

More han­dling er­rors fol­lowed from the Oban Ladies re­sult­ing in a fur­ther try eight min­utes in to the sec­ond half. A good ef­fort again from the Ste­wartry num­ber nine saw the ball just wide for the con­ver­sion to make the score 0-38. Again Ste­wartry had a quick an­swer to their last score and put an­other one straight un­der the posts just two min­utes later with a con­verted try to make it 0- 45.

The Ste­wartry ladies were on a roll and fired over an­other score two min­utes later with a con­ver­sion to make the score 0-52.

The wet con­di­tions were tak­ing their toll on the Oban Ladies who lacked their usual spark. With just 15 min­utes played in the sec­ond half, Ste­wartry had scored again for a 0-57 lead.

Oban ral­lied and en­joyed a great phase of play af­ter some ping pong rugby, spear­headed by a driv­ing run from Camilla Les­lie.

A good run from Kirsty Smith made space to re-set with the ball moved out wide to Colthart.

Un­for­tu­nately, si­mul­ta­ne­ous in­juries in the Oban team saw the game called early, with a fi­nal score of 0-57 with Ste­wartry on top. Over­all a valiant ef­fort from all of the Oban Ladies in ter­ri­ble con­di­tions up against a fit Ste­wartry side. The Green Army will now re-group for their match next Sun­day (Novem­ber 15) away to Ayr.

The ladies train ev­ery Wed­nes­day at 6pm at Oban Rugby Club, with no pre­vi­ous ex­pe­ri­ence nec­es­sary and be­gin­ners ex­tremely wel­come.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.