The Oban Times - - Sport -

game, to rule off­side which must have been a close call for the man in the mid­dle.

With five min­utes of the first half re­main­ing Saints’ slack­ness in the cen­tre of the park was pun­ished when Paul Hughes pounced on a loose ball and quickly fed James Cordiner, who made a good run for­ward and tucked a neat fin­ish in­side McCul­loch’s right hand post to halve Saints’ ad­van­tage.

The Oban side ended a largely dis­ap­point­ing first half with a good turn and cross from MacEwan on the right wing which fizzed across the face of goal with, sadly, no tak­ers in navy blue.

Saints profli­gacy in front of goal con­tin­ued with Don­ald Camp­bell fir­ing high over the cross­bar from the edge of the box and Craig MacEwan send­ing a free header also over the bar from a Ross Mait­land cor­ner won on the right by Paul Kerr.

The goal which fi­nally made the tie safe for Saints came when Ross Mait­land ri­fled a 30-yard shot into the bot­tom cor­ner, the pace and ac­cu­racy of which beat keeper Mar­shall low down to his right.

Saints twice al­most al­lowed Springhill an un­likely route back into the match with sloppy pass­ing gift­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties to Matthew We­myss and De­clan Muir.

Saints broke up-field in the 77th minute where MacEwan picked out Camp­bell with an ex­cel­lent through ball. Camp­bell fired in a shot from just out­side the box which the ad­vanc­ing keeper Mar­shall did well to parry but only into the path of Mait­land who stroked the ball home to com­plete his hat-trick.

With five min­utes re­main­ing Saints got their fifth from the penalty spot. Mait­land made a ter­rific run into the penalty box, be­fore be­ing brought down by the goal­keeper. The ball broke loose to Camp­bell who steered it into the un­guarded net. How­ever, ref­eree Stobo had al­ready blown for a penalty kick.

Clearly frus­trated that his orig­i­nal ef­fort had been ruled out, Camp­bell smashed his spot kick em­phat­i­cally off the un­der­side of the cross­bar for his sec­ond of the game and 14th goal in six matches.

Stooped Saints rounded off the scor­ing in the fi­nal minute when Martin Bonar stooped at the back post to head home a lofted Mait­land free kick from the right to make the fi­nal score 6-1.

Man­ager Alex Craik was de­lighted to get through to the next round of the cup but not with the per­for­mance of his team.

He said: ‘We huffed and puffed our way through the game. We didn’t play well by our stan­dards but in say­ing that we scored six goals and could have scored an­other four or five. How­ever, a bet­ter team would have pun­ished a per­for­mance like that.’

Saints will face ei­ther Shaw­lands FP or New Farm Loch in the fourth round at Glen­cruit­ten on Satur­day De­cem­ber 12.

This Satur­day Saints re­turn to league duty with a tough away game against un­de­feated Gold­en­hill. The match will be played on the 3G pitch at Cly­de­bank High School with a 2pm kick- off.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.