Nar­row home win for Oban Ath­letic

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Oban Ath­letic Cardross West of Scot­land AFL TOP OF the league, Oban Ath­letic, wel­comed bot­tom side Cardross, to Oban last Satur­day.

The home side, who never looked like los­ing the match, man­aged to grind out a one nil vic­tory and se­cure the three points af­ter be­ing awarded a penalty with five min­utes to go.

Ath­letic started well and cre­ated a num­ber of half chances, but couldn’t direct their shots on tar­get.

The first chance of the game fell to the Oban side, af­ter Stephen Kelly played a good through ball that found Alan Buchanan who beat his man and drilled a low cross in front of the box, but the Ath­letic at­tack were un­able con­nect with it.

It was then Craig Camp­bell’s turn when he out-jumped his marker to get on the end of a cor­ner, but his goal-bound header ric­o­cheted off the ground and bounced into the keep­ers arms.

Ath­letic had the op­por­tu­nity to go in at half time one goal to the good af­ter they came close from an­other cor­ner, but Colin Tin­dal’s header sailed over the cross bar. The first half was a goal­less af­fair and ended 0- 0.

When de­fend­ing an at­tack down the wing, Oban’s Craig Livin­stone got his studs caught in the ar­ti­fi­cial turf and needed to leave the pitch to re­ceive treat­ment. Liv­ing­stone came back on the pitch, but only for five min­utes be­fore be­ing sub­sti­tuted for Daniel MacKinnon.

Both the crowd and Oban play­ers were ap­peal­ing for a penalty when Colin Tin­dal was brought down in the box, but ref­eree, Martin Rae, who had a good game, didn’t agree and waved play on.

Af­ter some good at­tack­ing play from Oban that ended in a col­li­sion in the box, Ath­letic were this time awarded a penalty, which was blasted into the back of the net with five min­utes to go to make the fi­nal score 1- 0.

Oban Ath­letic’s next match is at home on Novem­ber 28, when they wel­come Bel­laire from Greenock.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.