Oban Ca­manachd fin­ish the sea­son with a home win over Kyles Ath­letic

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Marine Har­vest Premier­ship

WITH the pitch at Tighnabruiach deemed un­playable the last premier league fix­ture of the sea­son was switched to Moss­field Sta­dium which was in ex­cel­lent con­di­tion.

Both Kyles Ath­letic and Oban Ca­manachd were un­der strength with play­ers in­volved in the shinty/ hur­ley In­ter­na­tional in Dublin.

Ca­manachd were still with­out long term in­jury vic­tims An­drew ‘Papa’ MacCuish and Keith MacMil­lan. How­ever, the red and blacks re­called Robert Dun­nings in goals for the im­por­tant game know­ing that a win would see them fin­ish com­fort­ably in mid-ta­ble and round off an as­ton­ish­ing re­cov­ery in the sec­ond part of the sea­son.

The home side be­gan well with the for­ward line of Lorne Dickie, Con­nor Howie, Michael Mac­Queen and Mal­colm Clark clearly in the mood and were two goals to the good af­ter 10 min­utes through Michael Mac­Queen and Lorne Dickie.

David Laf­ferty was controlling the mid­field area ably sup­ported by Lochside re­cruits Keith Bur­nett and Jor­dan Kerr.

The move­ment and pace of the for­wards was caus­ing the Kyles de­fence all sorts of prob­lems and they can thank keeper Whyte, who pro­duced some ter­rific saves that kept the score­line at only 2 – 0 to the home side at half-time.

Team man­ager Ian Hay made changes for the sec­ond half with Ai­dan Mac­In­tyre and Alex Dun­nings com­ing on.

Kyles started the sec­ond half in pos­i­tive fash­ion with the Ca­manachd de­fence of Gary Lord, Gary MacKer­racher, James MacMil­lan and Scott MacKil­lop called into ac­tion to keep the Tighnabru­aich men at bay.

How­ever the game was all but over when a fine in­di­vid­ual goal from Con­nor Howie left the Kyles de­fence in his wake to give Ca­manachd a three goal lead with 20 min­utes re­main­ing.

Kyles’ re­ac­tion was im­me­di­ate and they pulled a goal back through Thomas Whyte.

Hard sea­son The last quar­ter was played out in sport­ing fash­ion with ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron, who had a good game, sig­nalling the end of a long, hard sea­son for both clubs.

The re­sult meant that Ca­manachd’s good run in the sec­ond half of the sea­son – only two de­feats in 10 games – en­sured the club will play in the top flight of shinty af­ter fin­ish­ing com­fort­ably in mid ta­ble af­ter lan­guish­ing for so long at the foot.

Team man­ager Ian Hay said the club would like to thank team spon­sor Mal­colm Kerr and all those who sup­ported the team through­out the sea­son. ‘ We are look­ing for­ward to play­ing in the Premier­ship next sea­son and to bring through more play­ers from our promis­ing sec­ond team Lochside Rovers.

‘ We should have Keith MacMil- lan and An­drew MacCuish fit for start of next sea­son which means com­pe­ti­tion for places.

‘My thanks also to Paul Ker­s­ley, Alex MacVicar and Dugie Mac­In­tyre as well as Lochside man­ager Gareth Evans, who all con­trib­uted to the suc­cess of the team in the sec­ond half of the sea­son.

‘We can look for­ward to our AGM which will be held at Rock­field on Tues­day De­cem­ber 1, but be­fore that we have our an­nual buf­fet dance at Glen­cruit­ten Golf Club on Satur­day Novem­ber 28, where the player of the year awards will take place.’

Asked about his own po­si­tion as team man­ager Ian said he would be de­lighted to carry on and hoped that with the back­ing of the club com­mit­tee and play­ers, the team could make a con­sis­tent start to sea­son 2016 and make a pos­i­tive im­pact in all league and cup com­pe­ti­tions.

Ca­manachd’s Un­der 17 team lost 2- 0 to a strong New­ton­more out­fit at Can­nich last Satur­day in the fi­nal of the Lon­don Shield.

WIN­NERS: In­ver­aray Shinty Club held its an­nual din­ner dance and prize­giv­ing cer­e­mony re­cently. Above are the win­ners, top left to right, An­drew Mc­Murdo (first team player of the year), Ruaraidh Gra­ham (Jock McCal­lum me­mo­rial tro­phy for most promis­ing player), Lewis Mont­gomery (MacQuis­ton Cup Cap­tain) and Euan Mc­Murdo (first team top goal scorer). Bot­tom left to right: Ross Mont­gomery (sec­ond team player of the year) and Fraser Watt

(sec­ond team top goal scorer).

AC­TION: Lewis MacPhee, Oban Ca­manachd and Tommy Ste­wart,

New­ton­more in ac­tion dur­ing the Lon­don Shield fi­nal.

Photo: Neil Pater­son

TEAM WORK: Keith Bur­nett shields the ball and gets ready to pass it

to his team­mate David Laf­ferty.


CON­CEN­TRA­TION: Mal­colm Clark keeps his eye on the ball as he

pre­pares to pick out a pass.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.