Oban­ites treat hounds to wel­come break

New­found­land dogs cared for af­ter owner breaks leg while hol­i­day­ing in Ar­gyll and Bute

The Oban Times - - News - LOUISE GLEN lglen@oban­times.co.uk

THEY say ev­ery dog has his day but two New found lands en­joyed a three-month taste of High­land hos­pi­tal­ity when their owner had an un­ex­pected break of her own.

Jan­ice Mil­li­gan, from Liver­pool, drove to Oban with pet dogs, Wendy and Nana, in Au­gust for a camp­ing hol­i­day around the West High­lands.

But the huge dogs ended up in board and lodg­ings at Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid res­cue cen­tre when their mis­tress slipped in mud and was rushed to hos­pi­tal with a bro­ken leg.

Ms Mil­li­gan, who is still on crutches, was fi­nally re­united with her pets at the week­end af­ter spend­ing a month in hos­pi­tal and two months re­cu­per­at­ing from her or­deal.

The 64-year- old said she couldn’t thank Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid enough for help­ing her stranded dogs, af­ter she was rushed off to the Royal Alexandra Hos­pi­tal in Pais­ley.

Ms Mil­li­gan ex­plained that she had left the dogs in her car at Oban Car­a­van and Camp­ing Park, think­ing she was just go­ing for a quick check-up at the lo­cal hos­pi­tal.

She said: ‘We had had a few beau­ti­ful days in Oban and then it started to rain. I popped out of the tent to go to the loo, but I didn’t get very far be­fore I fell and slipped in the mud and broke the top of my fe­mur.

‘The dogs were with me so I put them in the car and told the camp­site own­ers the keys were in the car, think­ing I would be back the next day.

‘But when I got to the hos­pi­tal in Oban they said I needed an op­er­a­tion and would have to go to the Royal Alexandra Hos­pi­tal in Pais­ley.

‘I was there for two weeks be­fore be­ing trans­ferred to hos­pi­tal in Liver­pool. I had no spare clothes or any­thing. They were in the car, along with my spec­ta­cles and the dogs.’

The camp­site own­ers kept the car on site and called in Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid, which was happy to look af­ter the dogs.

Ms Mil­li­gan said the peo­ple she met at the Royal Alexandra Hos­pi­tal were just as help­ful.

She said: ‘I was in Pais­ley for two weeks and met some really nice peo­ple there; the daugh­ter of one of the pa­tients brought me in some clothes, some­body else got me a mo­bile phone, some of the staff brought me some books in be­cause I couldn’t watch TV with­out my glasses and all this time Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid looked af­ter my dogs.

‘The peo­ple at the camp­site were great and the peo­ple in Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid have been ever so good.

‘Wendy and Nana are wa­ter dogs and they even took them swim­ming in the loch.’

And there was drama at the res­cue cen­tre not long af­ter Ms Mil­li­gan was taken into hos­pi­tal.

Fiona Wood­house, of Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid, had to take Wendy to the vet in Oban, where she had a suc­cess­ful emer­gency op­er­a­tion for an in­fected uterus. She said: ‘ We are happy to help, that’s what we are here for.’

We are happy to help.

Fiona Wood­house

Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid

Jan­ice Mil­li­gan, left, pick­ing up her New­found­land dogs from Fiona Wood­house af­ter their three-month stay with Ar­gyll An­i­mal Aid.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.