Fire crews called out to fire in Oban block of flats
A SMALL fire in the close of a block of flats in Oban last Saturday was extinguished by Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
Two appliances from Oban Fire Station responded to a 999 call at 7.50pm after receiving a report of smoke in the hallway of a building on Ulva Road.
Crews reached the scene in under five minutes.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly found the source of the smoke and put out a small fire.
A woman and child were treated by an ambulance crew at the scene and taken to Lorn and Islands Hospital in the town for further check-ups. A spokesman for Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said that items blocking people’s exit route and smoke from a fire in a close can leave residents trapped in their homes with no way to escape. The message is to keep closes clear, as even the smallest bag of rubbish catching alight can fill a stairwell with smoke and large objects can get in the way of people trying to escape.
Free home fire safety visits are available from SFRS by calling the freephone number 0800 073 1999, by texting ‘FIRE’ to 80800.