Artemis Ma­cAulay Cup - quar­ter-fi­nal

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Bute 2 In­ver­aray 3

(af­ter ex­tra-time) In­ver­aray reached the Artemis Ma­cAulay Cup last four af­ter a hard-fought, ex­tra-time, 3-2 win over Bute at the Mead­ows.

In­ver­aray full­back Andrew McMurdo was free of sus­pen­sion af­ter serv­ing a one-match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old in the 4- 0 Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion win over Caber­feidh a week ear­lier. How­ever, wing cen­tre David MacPher­son was ruled out with a tight ham­string which he tweaked in the Cabers game. Ross Mont­gomery played with the In­ver­aray re­serves.

Bute fielded for­mer Scot­land in­ter­na­tional Iain McDon­ald in at­tack and he had a great tus­sle with the re­turn­ing John Kennedy in the In­ver­aray back line.

The sides drew 0- 0 when they met at the Mead­ows on the open­ing day of the shinty sea­son and this was an­other close en­counter.

In­ver­aray got off to a great start and they led 2- 0 early in the game. They went ahead on five min­utes when Al­lan Mac­Don­ald, who was also back in the side, volleyed home a David Robert­son cor­ner. Al­lan Mac­Don­ald, and not Garry Macpher­son as re­ported in some cir­cles, got his sec­ond to make it 2- 0 on eight min­utes when he fired a low shot into the cor­ner of the goal.

Bute re­sponded well and Iain McDon­ald pulled a goal back just a cou­ple of min­utes later when he scored at the back post fol­low­ing a cor­ner.

The comeback was com­plete when Dun­can David­son made it 2-2 on 18 min­utes when he cap­i­talised on some poor de­fend­ing.

In­ver­aray’s Al­lan Mac­Don­ald could have had a first half hat­trick af­ter he pro­duced a sweet fin­ish but ref­eree Lachie Wood pulled the play back for a foul on an In­ver­aray player in the lead up to the goal when the vis­i­tors would have pre­ferred ad­van­tage to have been played.

The sec­ond half was all about Bute keeper Kevin Queen. He had an out­stand­ing game and made a num­ber of saves with his stick; one, in par­tic­u­lar, div­ing low to his right, was quite su­perb.

In­ver­aray had strength on the sub­sti­tutes’ bench with Fraser Watt, Ally Mac­Don­ald and player/man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham. They fresh­ened things up and young Fraser Watt’s pace and di­rect­ness was hurt­ing a tir­ing Bute de­fence.

David Robert­son and Garry MacPher­son were us­ing their ex­pe­ri­ence to In­ver­aray’s ad­van­tage but they couldn’t find a way past keeper Kevin Queen so ref­eree Lachie Wood took the tie to an ex­tra-time pe­riod.

The ex­tra-time pe­riod was very tight but In­ver­aray got the break­through on 100 min­utes when Kevin Queen made an­other good save, this time from Grant Grif­fin, and young Lewis Mont­gomery pounced to knock the re­bound home to make it 3-2.

The ex­pe­ri­enced Bute side never game up and they tested In­ver­aray all the way but it’s the Win­ter­ton men who go for­ward to play Kyles Ath­letic or Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll in the Artemis Ma­cAulay Cup semi-fi­nals.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.