Strathdearn Cup – sec­ond round

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Fort Wil­liam 5 New­ton­more 4

Fort Wil­liam’s sec­ond team are through to the Strathdearn Cup quar­ter-fi­nals af­ter turn­ing in their best per­for­mance of the sea­son to beat New­ton­more’s sec­ond team 5- 4 at An Aird.

There was an early goal at each end with Scott Hen­der­son giv­ing the Fort a sec­ond minute lead and Martin Hall lev­el­ling on eight min­utes.

Lewis Clark made the most of an op­por­tu­nity to put the home side back in front on 15 min­utes but ’More drew level for a sec­ond time with John MacKen­zie scor­ing on 27 min­utes.

MacKen­zie got his sec­ond on 35 min­utes to put the vis­i­tors ahead for the first time in the match. The lead only lasted a cou­ple of min­utes though as ref­eree John Mathe­son pointed to the penalty spot and Ar­ran MacPhee stepped up to make his usual ef­fi­cient job from the spot. The scor­ing con­tin­ued into the sec­ond half. Scott Hen­der­son got his sec­ond to put Fort Wil­liam ahead once more a minute into the sec­ond pe­riod.

The home side lost Lachie Shaw with a foot in­jury but that didn’t de­ter them and Scott Hen­der­son com­pleted his hat­trick on 64 min­utes to make it 5-3 .

Dun­can Gor­man made it 5- 4 on 81 min­utes but Fort Wil­liam saw out the clos­ing stages and will now travel to Blair­beg to play the Glenurquhart colts in the Strathdearn Cup quar­ter-fi­nals on Satur­day July 16.

Lewis Ca­manachd 2 Kin­gussie 9

The Kin­gussie colts made their first trip to Shaw­bost and se­cured a place in the next round with a 9-2 win over Lewis Ca­manachd.

The sides had met once be­fore, in 2008, when Kin­gussie were 14- 0 vic­tors in the Strathdearn Cup at In­ver­lael. Lewis were only play­ing in the cup com­pe­ti­tions at that time and played their home matches in Ul­lapool.

John Gibson gave Kin­gussie, who were with­out Kevin Thain, an open­ing minute lead and he added a sec­ond on 18 min­utes.

Lewis for­ward Don­ald La­mont got onto a Eoghan Ste­wart pass but his strike was ruled out by ref­eree Ron­nie Camp­bell.

Will Church, set up by Eoghan Ste­wart, pulled a goal back for Lewis on 22 min­utes but a Roddy Young brace on 26 and 27 min­utes and a Dy­lan Borth­wick strike on 37 min­utes made it 5-1 af­ter the first 45 min­utes.

Roddy Young com­pleted his hat-trick a minute into the sec­ond half.

Lewis Ca­manachd’s Ally La­mont made it 6-2 on 54 min­utes, with Eoghan Ste­wart again the provider.

A fourth Roddy Young goal on 71 min­utes and a Ruar­idh An­der­son dou­ble on 80 and 85 min­utes rounded off the 9-2 suc­cess.

Lewis turned in a per­for­mance which was full of graft and they were un­for­tu­nate with a cou­ple of the goals.

Lochaber 1 Skye Ca­manachd 5

Skye Ca­manachd’s sec­ond team beat their Lochaber counter-parts 5-1 in their noon throw up at Spean Bridge.

Iain MacLel­lan set­tled Skye into the tie with goals on three and nine min­utes and went on to com­plete his hat-trick on 26 min­utes.

Ryan Gunn net­ted for Lochaber on 31 min­utes to make it 3-1 at the break.

A first goal at sec­ond team level for Martin Pringle made it 4-1 on 66 min­utes and Neil John Camp­bell made it 5-1 on 76 min­utes.

Lochcar­ron 5 Caber­feidh 5

(Af­ter ex­tra time - Lochcar­ron won 3- 0 on penal­ties) Lochcar­ron came from 4-1 down to beat Caber­feidh on penal­ties af­ter an ac­tion-packed af­ter­noon at Bat­tery Park.

Nick Dal­gety gave Lochcar­ron the lead on 13 min­utes but Colin MacLen­nan on 21 min­utes, Alan Ross on 35 min­utes and Stu­art Kryzanowski on the stroke of half-time meant Cabers led 3-1 at the in­ter­val.

When Rob­bie Se­har made it 4-1 on 58 min­utes, things looked bleak for Lochcar­ron.

They fought back though and three goals in the last 14 min­utes took the tie to ex­tra-time. Kieran Mur­ray on 76 min­utes, Niall Arnott on 83 min­utes and a last­gasp An­gus Urquhart ef­fort a minute from time made it 4- 4.

Colin MacLen­nan put Cabers back in front on 98 min­utes but Liam Arnott made it 5-5 with 100 min­utes played.

And if all that wasn’t enough, ref­eree Archie Ritchie then had to show red cards to Lochcar­ron brothers Sean MacCuish and David MacCuish and Caber­feidh’s Paddy Wil­son fol­low­ing an in­ci­dent late on.

With no scor­ing dur­ing the fi­nal 20 min­utes, ref­eree Archie Ritchie took the tie to a penalty shoot- out. Nick Dal­gety stepped up first for Lochcar­ron and scored whilst Alan MacKay did like-wise. Dou­glas MacKen­zie then missed for the home side but Liam Arnott net­ted. Mean­time, Lochcar­ron keeper Matthew Young had saved all three Cabers’ penal­ties so Lochcar­ron won the shoot- out 3- 0.

Caith­ness 0 Kin­lochshiel 8

The Kin­lochshiel sec­ond team sent a young squad north where they beat Caith­ness 8- 0 at View­firth.

Caith­ness had been train­ing hard for this en­counter and only trailed 3- 0 at the break with Ross Fraser net­ting twice on 19 and 32 min­utes and Dun­can Mathe­son get­ting the other five min­utes be­fore half-time.

’Shiel, mi­nus Colin MacDiarmid who was serv­ing the sec­ond game of a two match sus­pen­sion, scored three times in a three-minute spell early in the sec­ond half.

Ross Fraser took his tally for the af­ter­noon to four goals with shots on 52 and 54 min­utes, ei­ther side of a 53 minute Nathan Whear strike.

Dun­can New­ton Grant added his name to the score­sheet with goals on 70 and 80 min­utes

to com­plete the 8- 0 win. Kin­lochshiel re­serves are also on the road in the quar­ter-fi­nals as they make the shorter jour­ney to Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, to play Skye Ca­manachd re­serves.

Bole­sk­ine 2 Kil­mallie 6

The Kil­mallie sec­ond team sealed their place in the next round with a 6-2 tri­umph over Bole­sk­ine in their 1pm throw up at Smith Park.

Keith Ni­col­son and Neil Hope scored for Bole­sk­ine but Ross MacKen­zie, Ian Robert­son, a Jamie MacEachan hat-trick and Kerr Rodger made it 6-2 to put the Kil­mallie sec­ond team through.

They will have home ad­van­tage against Lochcar­ron in the last eight of the tour­na­ment.

Aberdeen Univer­sity W/O v Lo­vat

Aberdeen Univer­sity, top of Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2, were given a bye into the next round af­ter the Lo­vat re­serves were un­able to raise a team for their tie at Bal­go­wnie. With both teams hav­ing long away fix­tures, the Bal­gate side’s re­sources were stretched as their first team had eight ab­sen­tees for their league trip to Tighnabru­aich.

Aberdeen Univer­sity will now host the Kin­gussie sec­onds in the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.