Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Kyles Ath­letic 1 Aber­dour 0

Kyles Ath­letic’s sec­ond team put a dent in Aber­dour’s ti­tle chances when they emerged 1- 0 vic­tors in their meet­ing at Tighnabru­aich.

The Kyles sec­onds ben­e­fited from hav­ing se­nior play­ers re­turn­ing to their first team squad, whilst Aber­dour were un­der­strength. Fin­lay Wil­liamson served the sec­ond match of a two game sus­pen­sion whilst An­gus Thor­burn, John Martin Philips, Craig Grant and Adam Leask were also out.

The only goal of the game came on 43 min­utes when Fin­lay Wil­liamson scored, with the vis­i­tors claim­ing the ball hadn’t crossed the line. It was a be­low par per­for­mance from Aber­dour who had a goal ruled out for off­side by ref­eree Calum Gir­van. The win means Kyles Ath­letic go fourth in the league and only trail Oban Celtic by a cou­ple of points, with both teams hav­ing played eight matches. Aber­dour stay in sec­ond spot, two points ahead of Oban Celtic who have a game in hand, and a point be­hind lead­ers Lochside Rovers who have played two games more.

In­ver­aray 4 Glenorchy 0

Bot­tom side In­ver­aray sec­onds notched just their sec­ond league win of the sea­son when they beat Glenorchy 4- 0 at the Win­ter­ton.

With no first team match, the home side in­cluded young­ster Fraser Watt, whilst Dun­can Smith was still banned for the vis­i­tors.

All the goals came in the first half. Al­lan Cameron was cred­ited with the In­ver­aray opener af­ter 20 min­utes. Lewis Mont­gomery played a free-hit to Fraser Watt. His shot was saved by the keeper and the ball went into the air but the keeper, un­der pres­sure, turned the ball into the roof of his own net while try­ing to clear the dan­ger.

Fraser Watt added a sec­ond five min­utes later. The ball was squared back to Watt at the penalty spot and the Scot­land U17 player took a touch and shot goal­wards. Al­though the keeper got a slight touch on the ball, he couldn’t pre­vent it from go­ing into the net.

Lewis Mont­gomery scored twice on 28 and 45 min­utes to make it 4- 0 at the break. First, Mont­gomery turned in-be­tween the penalty spot and the ‘D’ and he fired the ball home with a well-struck shot. He then took ad­van­tage when the Glenorchy de­fence missed a cou­ple of chances to clear a ball crossed into the dan­ger area and Mont­gomery sent a neat fin­ish into the cor­ner of the net.

There was no fur­ther scor­ing and In­ver­aray re­main bot­tom of the league, al­though they have now nar­rowed the gap on sec­ond bot­tom Glenorchy to just two points and both teams have just four games to go.

The sides meet again this com­ing week­end at Mart Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.