Burning tyres are toxic and dangerous
Sir, Inevitably at this time of year bonfires abound and are generally great fun, especially for children.
However, this is no fun for those gathered round, or living near, a bonfire that includes burning tyres.
I guess people who are burning tyres are ignorant of the fact that they are potentially crippling the next generation of children or that they themselves could die an early death from lung cancer, leukemia or lead poisoning arising from the toxic soup of pollutants released by burning tyres.
There are more than two gallons of petroleum and oil in one tyre alone, numerous chemicals including chlorine, styrene, and butadiene, and more than 20 different heavy metals. Styrene and butadiene are both suspected of causing cancer, and the metals such as lead, chromium, cadmium and mercury don’t even burn away – they just get released into the atmosphere as fragmented ash, small particles which can settle deep in the lungs. Now that’s scary.
Children, foetuses, elderly and asthmatics are all more vulnerable to the pollutants released by burning tyres.
Too late for this year but the next time you see a bonfire of burning tyres, you may want to keep your family safe, at home with the windows shut.