Busy start to new year for Oban RNLI lifeboat crew

The Oban Times - - News - MARTIN LAING mlaing@oban­times.co.uk

OBAN lifeboat was called into ac­tion four times in five days last week, mak­ing it a hec­tic start to the new year.

The most re­cent call- out was on Sun­day Jan­uary 8, when the crew was asked to as­sist with a med­i­cal trans­fer from the Isle of Mull.

The lifeboat Mora Edith MacDon­ald was launched at 1.37pm to help the Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice with the med­i­cal trans­fer from Craignure.

The lifeboat left Oban with two paramedics aboard, mak­ing best speed to­wards Craignure. On ar­rival at 2.18pm, the ca­su­alty was safely trans­ferred to the lifeboat. The boat left the is­land, ar­riv­ing back in Oban by 3.02pm, when the ca­su­alty was trans­ferred into a wait­ing am­bu­lance.

Two days pre­vi­ously, the ves­sel had per­formed a sim­i­lar ser­vice, evac­u­at­ing an in­di­vid­ual, also from Craignure. The boat launched at 8.37pm, ar­riv­ing on Mull at 9.50pm and rac­ing back to Oban with the pa­tient.

The day be­fore that, Thurs­day Jan­uary 5, the crew were called out to as­sist a five-me­tre cabin cruiser with a fouled pro­pel­ler in the up­per reaches of Loch Craig­nish.

Due to the cruiser’s po­si­tion be­tween two sub­merged rocks, the lifeboat’s small in­flat­able craft, the XP boat, was de­ployed. The two crew mem­bers aboard the XP were able to make con­tact with the ves­sel and free its pro­pel­ler.

The lifeboat took the ves­sel un­der tow to the nearby Ard­fern Ma­rina where it was safely along­side by 8.03pm, with the as­sis­tance of Tar­bert and Ard­patrick Coast­guard res­cue teams.

With the ves­sel safely in the ma­rina, Oban lifeboat was able to re­turn to its home base and the vol­un­teer crew were back at their berth by 9.47pm when the lifeboat was re­fu­elled and made ready for ser­vice again by 10.04pm, al­most five hours af­ter they were launched.

And on Tues­day Jan­uary 3, the lifeboat made its first call- out of the year when it was asked to take paramedics to the Isle of Lis­more to treat a pa­tient. The lifeboat ar­rived to find the air am­bu­lance was on scene and the de­ci­sion was made to air­lift the ca­su­alty to hos­pi­tal.

The vol­un­teer crew left the is­land, re­turn­ing the paramedics to Oban by 1pm and re­fu­elling to be made ready for ser­vice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.