Budget process a ‘sham’
AN OBAN councillor has condemned the local authority’s annual budget consultation, claiming it was a ‘sham’.
Councillor Julie McKenzie, of Oban North and Lorn, has been vocal on social media on the consultation.
Ms McKenzie was part of the SNP administration opposition group who approved the questions in the Argyll and Bute Council papers on Thursday November 24 but wanted to make clear it was a ‘survey’ rather than consultation. Mrs McKenzie told The Oban Times: ‘The consultation is a sham.’
On social media Mrs McKenzie said: ‘Consultation is a complete misnomer for this ridiculous survey!
‘It’s no more than a box ticking exercise by the current council administration to allow them to place blame for cuts choices with the public when they announce the budget in February.
‘If it’s anything like last year they will know exactly which vital services they are cutting already.’
Last week Argyll and Bute Council told The Oban Times: ‘The consultation started at the end of November and finished on January 9.
‘It is too early to report on the number of responses we have received as we are still in the process of gathering the findings from a range of sources, including our libraries, customer service points, the council website and those which have been returned by post.
‘We would like to thank everyone who took time to respond.’