Con­vinc­ing win for Oban Ladies

The Oban Times - - Sport -

THE OPEN­ING match for the Green Army in 2017 brought Grange­mouth Ladies to a dre­ich Glen­cruit­ten in Oban. The home team were un­able to field a full team this week due to some ex­ist­ing in­juries and ab­sent play­ers, so the game be­gan with 13 play­ers for each side.

This left Grange­mouth with the ben­e­fit of some subs for the match. Oban did well to main­tain these num­bers for the en­tirety of the match, with ladies ris­ing to the chal­lenge of play­ing out of po­si­tion, most no­tably two for­wards on the wings.

The game started well for the ladies in green, who had pre­vi­ously drawn 17-17 with Grange­mouth in their away fix­ture at the start of the sea­son.

The lo­cal ladies made sure they put their train­ing into prac­tice, mak­ing their mark on the op­po­si­tion quickly and pro­gress­ing up the pitch to­wards the try line.

Un­for­tu­nately, af­ter a very near miss for Oban, things be­gan to un­ravel as Grange­mouth kicked the ball up the pitch for a game of chase, with Oban just un­able to get hands on the ball first as it was kicked over their try­line and touched down by a Grange­mouth player. A missed con­ver­sion brought the open­ing score to 0-5 for the vis­it­ing team.

Oban took their mis­takes on board and fought back quickly. Clever run­ning and a timely off load by prop El­lie MacNiven al­lowed young scrum half Lucy Ste­wart to dive over the line in the left cor­ner, in just her sec­ond se­nior game, to open Oban Ladies’ score.

The game con­tin­ued in this thread, with Oban main­tain­ing a high pro­por­tion of pos­ses­sion. Tries un­der the post came for both cen­tre Kirsty Sin­clair and, once again, Ste­wart, as well as a try for re­cent ad­di­tion to the team Jen Far­thing on the right wing, all suc­cess­fully con­verted by MacNiven. Sin­clair scored a sec­ond try later in the game to take the score to 31-5.


The fi­nal try in the match came for Ge­or­gia Mitchell, a new­comer to the game this sea­son, with all of the girls play­ing well and gelling to­gether as a team to im­ple­ment what they have been coached to do.

This was par­tic­u­larly im­pres­sive given that they have only re­cently re­turned from a no­tably long break over the fes­tive pe­riod. Un­for­tu­nately, the game had to be called to halt af­ter only 55 min­utes due to a sus­pected back in­jury to one of the Grange­mouth play­ers who re­quired para­medic treat­ment on the pitch. With the game un­able to carry on and no al­ter­na­tive pitch avail­able due to flood­ing, every­one came to the agree­ment that vic­tory would be awarded to the Oban Ladies, due to the con­vinc­ing lead they had man­aged to rack up dur­ing the match.

The ladies now sit six points clear at the top of the BT Women’s Na­tional League Divi­sion 2, above their clos­est ri­vals, Howe of Fife. Their next league game will be away to Lis­more on Fe­bru­ary 12, be­fore re­turn­ing to Oban of Fe­bru­ary 19 when they take on An­nan.

Oban Ladies train on a Tues­day and Thurs­day at 6pm at Glen­cruit­ten.

Photo: Kevin McG­lynn

El­lie MacNiven makes a break for the Grange­mouth line.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.