Ca­manachd Cup pre­lim­i­nary round

The Oban Times - - Sport -

CABERFEIDH, Kil­mory and Skye all made Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup progress, whilst Oban Ca­manachd moved in to sec­ond place be­hind league lead­ers Kin­gussie in the Marine Har­vest Premier­ship fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day April 8.

Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup - pre­lim­i­nary round Beauly 2 Skye Ca­manachd 4

Skye Ca­manachd will play Aberdeen Univer­sity at Bal­go­wnie in the first round of the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup af­ter they came from two goals down to beat Beauly 4-2 in their 3pm throw-up at Brae­view Park.

Beauly had only played twice this sea­son and they gave a start­ing po­si­tion to Ross Forbes who had been on a scor­ing run with their sec­ond string.

Skye’s Calum Gibb be­gan a two-match sus­pen­sion but keeper Iain MacLeod was back hav­ing re­cov­ered from a hand in­jury. Steven Mor­ri­son, Neil MacVicar and Ruaraidh MacLeod re­mained side­lined through in­jury for the is­lan­ders but cap­tain Kenny Camp­bell and Will Cowie re­turned.

The tie was played on a fiery pitch and Beauly could hardly have got off to a bet­ter start, tak­ing the lead in the open­ing minute. A low shot from Rob­bie Brindle was saved by Iain MacLeod but Ross Forbes was quickly onto the re­bound to guide the ball into the net.

It could have been even bet­ter for Beauly just mo­ments later when Jack Mac­Don­ald set up Conor Ross but his ef­fort hit the frame of the goal.

Beauly scored again on 28 min­utes. Conor Ross sent the ball in from the left and Colin Mac­Don­ald picked up pos­ses­sion be­fore run­ning in to score.

Skye came more into the game late in the first half with Will Cowie shoot­ing wide and Jor­dan Murchi­son see­ing a shot saved by Beauly goalie Josh Grant but it was the home side who took a 2- 0 lead into the break.

Beauly’s Rob­bie Brindle shot wide shortly af­ter the re-start and Ross Forbes tested Iain MacLeod but what could have been a cru­cial third goal eluded Beauly.

Skye were start­ing to con­trol the mid­field area, with wing cen­tre Iain Nicol­son in ex­cel­lent form, and they pulled a goal back on 61 min­utes. Beauly de­fender Ewen Camp­bell did well to clear a Jor­dan Murchi­son ef­fort off the goal line but the home side couldn’t fully clear the dan­ger and Will Cowie drove the ball low and hard into the net on his back-hand from a tight an­gle.

Skye lev­elled on 67 min­utes. There was a melee in the home goal and Danny Mor­ri­son did well to knock the ball over the line as he was fall­ing to the ground, tak­ing a knock in the process which even­tu­ally led to his sub­sti­tu­tion.

Will Cowie’s switch to full for­ward was pay­ing div­i­dends for Skye and Cowie got his sec­ond on 70 min­utes to put the is­lan­ders ahead for the first time in the tie. Cowie won pos­ses­sion from Ryan Till­man and beat Liam Gir­van and Ewen Camp­bell as he cut in from the left be­fore steer­ing the ball past Josh Grant, just in­side the keeper’s post, to claim a su­perb in­di­vid­ual goal.

Skye were ram­pant and their fourth goal in a dev­as­tat­ing spell came on 72 min­utes. Kenny Camp­bell was the provider as he ran at the home de­fence and when keeper Grant saved Camp­bell’s shot, the re­bound fell for Cowie who claimed his hat-trick to make it 4-2.

Skye saw out the re­main­der of the game to win a place in the first round of the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup.

In­ver­ness 2 Caberfeidh 7

Caberfeidh are also through to the next round, beat­ing In­ver­ness 7-2 in their 3pm throw-up at the Bught Park.

Wil­liam MacK­in­non was still side­lined for In­ver­ness and with boss Drew McNeill at­tend­ing the wed­ding of for­mer Fort Wil­liam and Scot­land team mate Gary Innes, his as­sis­tant Cal­lum McLeod looked af­ter the side. The home side’s re­sources were so stretched that Ken­neth Loades, David Camp­bell and Matthew Ross, who all played for the In­ver­ness sec­onds ear­lier in the day, oc­cu­pied the first team’s sub­sti­tute bench, whilst Allan MacLeod kept goal for both games.

Caberfeidh’s in­flu­en­tial full cen­tre Craig Mor­ri­son served the sec­ond game of a two-match sus­pen­sion.

In­ver­ness took the lead through James Cameron but Caberfeidh’s for­ward play started to pose prob­lems for the home de­fence and Cabers led 2-1 at the break through Kevin Bartlett and Martin Mac­Don­ald.

Caberfeidh turned the screw in the sec­ond half when they went on a scor­ing blitz, net­ting five times in 20 min­utes. Kevin Bartlett and Martin Mac­Don­ald both scored again and Colin Ma­cLen­nan was also on tar­get. The other two goals went into the net off home play­ers Allan MacLeod and Ja­son McLeod.

A sec­ond James Cameron goal made it 7-2, but it is Caberfeidh who now travel to Bute to play in the first round of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Kil­mory 5 Glenorchy 1

Kil­mory over­came Glenorchy 5-1 in their 2pm throw-up at MacRae Park.

Alis­tair MacArthur put Kil­mory ahead on 11 min­utes and Alex Cun­ning­ham made it 2- 0 on 35 min­utes.

When Hal Jones scored a vi­tal third goal on the strike of half time, Kil­mory had one foot in the next round.

Alis­tair MacArthur went on to com­plete his hat-trick with goals on 60 and 75 min­utes be­fore Conor Sar­tain’s counter for Glenorchy 10 min­utes from time.

Kil­mory now look for­ward to a home tie against Taynuilt.

Bal­liemore Cup – pre­lim­i­nary round Col Glen 4 Aberdeen Univer­sity 5

Aberdeen Univer­sity’s strong start to the sea­son con­tin­ued but they had to bat­tle all the way to beat Col Glen 5- 4 in their Bal­liemore Cup pre­lim­i­nary round tie at Ot­ter Ferry.

Wil­lie MacVicar, for­mer Kin­lochshiel player Aedan MacRae and two from Neilly MacNaughton all counted for the home side.

How­ever a Jamie Beaton hat-trick and a Gre­gor Cush­nie dou­ble means Scott Mof­fatt’s Aberdeen Univer­sity side will have home ad­van­tage against Caberfeidh in the Bal­liemore Cup first round on Satur­day April 22.

Suther­land Cup - first round New­ton­more 3 Kil­mallie 0

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup hold­ers New­ton­more sec­onds are safely through to the sec­ond round af­ter they beat the Kil­mallie sec­onds 3- 0 at the Ei­lan.

John MacKen­zie gave ’ More the lead in nine min­utes with David Cheyne mak­ing it 2- 0 on 20 min­utes.

Orsten Gard­ner, now back in the New­ton­more ranks, rounded off the 3- 0 win a minute be­fore the break.

Kin­gussie 1 Skye Ca­manachd 0

2016 beaten fi­nal­ists Kin­gussie colts are through to the next round courtesy of a 1- 0 win over the Skye Ca­manachd colts in their 3pm throw-up at The Dell.

Kin­gussie were with­out Ron­ald Ross and Kevin Thain, whilst Garry Munro started at full for­ward.

Cal­lum Grant made his first ap­pear­ance of the sea­son for Kin­gussie, hav­ing re­joined the club from Tay­forth, and he was de­ployed at full cen­tre.

Skye had Ryan Mor­ri­son back in goal af­ter a cou­ple of games for the first team but their ab­sen­tees in­cluded the in­jured Jamie Gil­lies as well as Ste­wart Grant, Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod and Iain MacLel­lan who were all with the first team.

Liam Borth­wick scored the goal that made the dif­fer­ence, with his ef­fort com­ing on the half hour.

Skye had chances to take the tie into ex­tra-time with Ross Gor­don, who was prob­a­bly the pick of the vis­it­ing play­ers, twice go­ing close but Kin­gussie held out for their sec­ond win over Skye this sea­son.

Beauly 0 Lochside Rovers 2

Lochside Rovers de­feated the Beauly sec­ond team 2- 0 in their noon throw-up at Brae­view Park.

There was a minute’s si­lence ahead of throw up to re­mem­ber Neil ‘Nonny’ MacInnes as this was Lochside’s first match since his pass­ing.

This was only Lochside’s third game of the sea­son and, play­ing with the wind at their backs, they quickly clicked into gear, tak­ing the lead af­ter 20 min­utes. Craig MacDougall took pos­ses­sion just out­side the ‘D’ and his turn and shot had the vis­i­tors in front, with the ball crash­ing high into the net.

Some of Lochside’s for­ward play was a joy to watch and, af­ter a spate of cor­ners, Lewis Buchanan added a sec­ond on 37 min­utes. Craig MacDougall played in a cor­ner and Buchanan took the ball down be­fore slam­ming it home from the edge of the ‘D’.

Beauly came more into the game af­ter the break but Lochside ended the tie as de­served win­ners.

Lochaber 6 In­ver­aray 2

(af­ter ex­tra-time) It took ex­tra-time be­fore the Lochaber sec­onds got past the In­ver­aray sec­onds, win­ning 6-2 at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber fielded a strong side with Bren­nan Mac­Don­ald at full back and Ben De­laney also in­volved.

In­ver­aray also bol­stered their pack with Garry MacPher­son play­ing his first game since last sea­son’s Artemis Ma­caulay Cup Fi­nal. Ex­pe­ri­enced de­fender An­drew Mc­Murdo also played, as did veter­ans John Smylie and Dou­glas Watt.

Keith Neville and Dou­glas Watt ex­changed goals to leave the sides level at 2-2 af­ter only 16 min­utes.

Neville got the opener in the first minute but Watt got In­ver­aray back on level terms on six min­utes.

Neville again on 11 min­utes and a sec­ond from Watt on 16 min­utes made it all-square again.

That was the end of the scor­ing dur­ing the reg­u­la­tion 90 min­utes al­though In­ver­aray’s Camp­bell Watt saw a great shot well saved and ref­eree John Wood took the tie into an ex­tra 30 min­utes.

The ex­tra-time pe­riod was just a step too far for In­ver­aray and Lochaber went on to put the tie to bed.

Fin­lay Mac­Don­ald made it 3-2 with a screamer on 100 min­utes with the ball can­non­ing off the back stan­chion.

Ben De­laney ex­tended Lochaber’s ad­van­tage on 104 min­utes.

Fin­lay Mac­Don­ald again a cou­ple of min­utes later and a sec­ond from Ben De­laney a cou­ple of min­utes from time rounded off the 6-2 win.

Lo­vat 1 Kyles Ath­letic 6

The Kyles Ath­letic re­serves were too strong for the Lo­vat re­serves, win­ning 6-1 at Bal­gate.

Craig Martin gave the Tighna- bru­aich men the lead on 27 min­utes and they went on to rat­tle up a five-goal lead in a pro­lific 12-minute pe­riod.

Kyle Mac­martin made it 2- 0 on 30 min­utes and Ge­orge Thom­son added a third a cou­ple of min­utes later.

Con­nor Gi­u­dici added two more goals on 36 and 39 min­utes to make it 5- 0 and end the tie as a con­test.

Cameron MacMil­lan gave Lo­vat some con­so­la­tion with a goal on 66 min­utes but Craig Martin got his sec­ond four min­utes later to make it 6-1.

Lo­vat’s cause wasn’t helped when Dun­can Collings was red carded by ref­eree John Mathe­son.

In­ver­ness 3 Lewis Ca­manachd 2

(af­ter ex­tra-time) A Stu­art MacRae dou­ble helped the In­ver­ness sec­ond team to a 3-2 ex­tra-time win over Lewis Ca­manachd in their noon throw up at Bught Park.

Kenny Mur­ray and Will Church had shots well-saved by In­ver­ness goalie Allan MacLeod be­fore Ken­neth Loades sent the ball low into the net on 41 min­utes to give In­ver­ness a 1- 0 half time lead.

An­other low strike, this time from Stu­art MacRae, made it 2- 0 on 57 min­utes.

Will Church re­duced the de­fect on 63 min­utes, with Scott MacLeod pro­vid­ing the as­sist.

Lewis drew level six min­utes later through a pow­er­ful strike from dis­tance from their cap­tain Peter Gomez.

De­spite In­ver­ness hit­ting the wood­work, it re­mained 2-2 and ref­eree Steven MacLach­lan took the tie to ex­tra-time.

The win­ning goal came on 98 min­utes when Stu­art MacRae got his sec­ond fol­low­ing a cor­ner.

Strath­glass 1 Caberfeidh 2

The Caberfeidh re­serves did just enough to beat the Strath­glass re­serves 2-1 at a sunny Can­nich.

Caberfeidh opened the scor­ing on 27 min­utes when Stu­art Krzyzanowski drove the ball home.

Stu­art Har­vey, back with Strath­glass af­ter a spell in Ire­land, made it 1-1 with a smart fin­ish on 67 min­utes.

The Caberfeidh for­ward line was miss­ing the in­flu­ence of Jamie Mathe­son who was out with a ham­string prob­lem, as they passed up chances to add to their tally.

Strath­glass also had chances to win it, but Iain McCall in the ‘Cabers’ goal was equal to their threat.

Stu­art Krzyzanowski saw a penalty bril­liantly saved be­fore the win­ning goal even­tu­ally came with Stu­art Krzyzanowski scor­ing in the fi­nal minute to send ‘Cabers’ through for a home meet­ing with the In­ver­ness re­serves.

Lochcar­ron W/O v Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll

Lochcar­ron were given a walk over as Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s sec­ond team were un­able to raise a team for their tie at Bat­tery Park. Lochcar­ron now travel to The Ei­lan to play the New­ton­more sec­ond team in the next round.

Marine Har­vest Premier­ship Kin­gussie 0 Lo­vat 0

League lead­ers Kin­gussie shared the points with Lo­vat af­ter a score­less draw in their 1pm throw-up at the Dell.

James Falconer, Savio Genini and cap­tain Ryan Borth­wick were all miss­ing for Kin­gussie but Martin Dal­las, who scored both Kin­gussie goals in their 2- 0 win over Lochaber a week ear­lier, was, de­spite doubts, able to play. Chris Hol­leysong started at full for­ward with Alexan­der Michie at wing cen­tre.

Mark Kelly was Lo­vat’s only ab­sen­tee as he awaits an op­er­a­tion on his wrist.

Both de­fences were on top form in this game with keep­ers Craig Daw­son and Stu­art Mac­Don­ald rarely tested.

James Hutchi­son mar­shalled a Kin­gussie de­fence which has been largely un­changed this sea­son whilst young Danny Kelly caught the eye in the Lo­vat full back po­si­tion.

Kin­gussie have only lost one goal in five league matches and are two points clear at the top of the ta­ble.

Oban Ca­manachd 5 Glenurquhart 0

Oban Ca­manachd go sec­ond in the league af­ter they beat Glenurquhart 5- 0 at Moss­field.

Oban Ca­manachd had Gary McKer­racher and Scott MacMil­lan back and both started in de­fence.

‘Glen’ stand-in goalie Garry MacK­in­tosh, who has been cov­er­ing Stu­art MacK­in­tosh’s in­jury ab­sence, was un­avail­able so there was a call-up for re­serve team goalie Cameron Ma­cLen­nan. There were other ‘ Glen’ ab­sen­tees in­clud­ing Fraser Heath, John Barr and An­drew Cor­ri­gan.

The play­ers wore black arm­bands and gath­ered around the cen­tre cir­cle ahead of throw-up as a mark of re­spect fol­low­ing the pass­ing of Oban Ca­manachd great Neil ‘Nonny’ MacInnes.

The home side took the lead on 18 min­utes. Daniel MacCuish sent a shy into the cir­cle and An­drew MacCuish ran in and took a touch be­fore despatch­ing the ball low into the cor­ner of the net.

Oban Ca­manachd had the chance to dou­ble their lead when ref­eree Lachie Wood awarded them a penalty but Cameron Ma­cLen­nan saved Matt Rip­pon’s spot hit.

Mal­colm Clark made it 2- 0 on 27 min­utes how­ever. Ai­dan MacIn­tyre broke down the wing be­fore send­ing a 30-yard shot goal­wards. Keeper Ma­cLen­nan saved his ef­fort but Mal­colm Clark was first to the re-bound and he shyed the ball down­wards into the net.

Daniel MacVicar added a third three min­utes into the sec­ond half with the goal again com­ing from a re-bound off the keeper.

Oban Ca­manachd were awarded a sec­ond penalty on 55 min­utes when Daniel MacVicar was tripped in­side the ‘D’. This time Ai­dan MacIn­tyre stepped up and he struck the ball hard and low into the net to make it 4- 0.

An­drew MacCuish rounded off the scor­ing on 82 min­utes. MacCuish beat two play­ers be­fore putting the ball into the net but he had been tripped on his way to goal and ref­eree Lachie Wood had al­ready blown, pulling play back for a free-hit.

Ai­dan MacIn­tyre touched the free hit to An­drew MacCuish who tucked the ball home to even­tu­ally get his sec­ond goal and make it 5- 0.

Cameron Ma­cLen­nan made a num­ber of good saves in the vis­it­ing goal and Oban Ca­manachd will be happy with the win which takes them to sec­ond place in the league.

One con­cern for Iain Hay’s side is that Wil­lie Neil­son picked up an an­kle knock which re­quired a hos­pi­tal visit. Oban de­fender Gary McKer­racher and ‘Glen’ for­ward Cal­lum Smith tus­sled for the ball and with Wil­lie Neil­son com­ing in to help, he was caught by Smith’s swing and al­though he played on for five min­utes he had to be re­placed by Scott MacKil­lop.

Neil­son is now off to Spain for a week’s hol­i­day and Oban Ca­manachd face an anx­ious wait to see if he will be fit enough for this Satur­day’s Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup tie against Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 league lead­ers Tay­forth at Mus­sel­burgh.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay’s at­ten­tions now turn to the Tay­forth tie. ‘ Wil­lie Neil­son is an in­jury doubt for that game,’ he said. ‘Scott MacMil­lan is work­ing but Scott MacKil­lop did well when he came on against Glenurquhart so we are cov­ered there. Garry Lord is still two to three weeks away but he will train this week as he makes his way back to fit­ness.

‘This will be a tricky tie against Tay­forth. They are go­ing well in South 1 and it re­minds me of last sea­son when we played Col Glen away in a cup tie and had to work very hard for our goals. It will be the same sit­u­a­tion again on Satur­day.’ Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0 New­ton­more 1 New­ton­more got back on their win­ning ways in the league as they de­feated Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 1- 0 at Yoker.

GMA were with­out Craig An­der­son and Stu­art Reid whilst ’More trav­elled with­out Nor­man Camp­bell, Drew Mac­Don­ald and Andy MacK­in­tosh who served the sec­ond game of a two-match sus­pen­sion. Paul MacArthur was back af­ter a groin in­jury.

The only goal of the game came af­ter 21 min­utes when Glen MacK­in­tosh cut the ball back from the touch­line to Fraser MacK­in­tosh who was just out­side the ‘D’ and MacK­in­tosh fired a shot into the top right hand cor­ner of the net.

The win lifts New­ton­more to fourth in the ta­ble.

Kil­mallie 1 Kyles Ath­letic 2

Kyles Ath­letic made it three wins out of three when they beat Kil­mallie 2-1 at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie’s Michael Rodger was free of his two-match ban but Craig MacIsaac served the sec­ond game of a three­match sus­pen­sion and Jor­dan MacPhee and Innes Blackhall both served one-game bans for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old. There were other Kil­mallie ab­sen­tees which prompted a break from re­tire­ment by for­mer Scot­land for­ward John Ste­wart. Kyles, who went into the match with a 100 per cent record, trav­elled with­out de­fender Don­ald Irvine.

Gor­don Whyte put Kyles ahead af­ter 35 min­utes.

Kil­mallie keeper Shane Gil­lies saved a low Sandy MacKen­zie shot and Whyte was in quickly to bun­dle the re-bound over the line.

Their lead only lasted five min­utes though be­fore Mark Gra­ham made it 1-1.

A clever, scooped pass from John Ste­wart out-foxed the Kyles’ de­fence and Gra­ham nipped in ahead of keeper John Whyte to score.

The first half had been close but Roddy Mac­Don­ald scored what proved to be the win­ner with a smart, volleyed fin­ish three min­utes into the sec­ond half. Kyles could have added to their tally but for some great saves by Kil­mallie keeper Shane Gil­lies.

The pick of the stops saw Gil­lies dive to parry one ef­fort be­fore leap­ing to his feet to block the re-bound when it looked cer­tain Grant Irvine would score.

Kil­mallie showed they will cause prob­lems for any vis­it­ing team. As well as keeper Gil­lies, Allan Mac­Don­ald played very well at full back.

Kyles, with Andy King ex­cel­lent at the back, al­ways car­ried a threat and the win lifts them to third place in shinty’s top flight.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion In­ver­aray 1 Strath­glass 2

In­ver­aray missed the chance to go top of the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion when they lost 2-1 to Strath­glass in their 3pm throw-up at The Win­ter­ton.

In­ver­aray were with­out the in­stru­men­tal Allan Mac­Don­ald and half back Ally Munro. Grant Grif­fin re­turned to the for­ward line af­ter re­cov­er­ing from a rib in­jury and Ally Mac­Don­ald started af­ter miss­ing the pre­vi­ous week­end’s draw with In­ver­ness be­cause of work com­mit­ments.

From the first whis­tle, Strath­glass looked the hun­grier side and they were first to the ma­jor­ity of loose balls.

This seemed to un­set­tle In­ver­aray and the vis­i­tors took the lead af­ter just five min­utes when Archie Wother­spoon scored. In­ver­aray dom­i­nated for­ward play for spells in the first half but the Strath­glass back line de­fended well and ab­sorbed the pres­sure.

With co-man­agers Ruar­idh Gra­ham and John Mont­gomery lend­ing their ex­pe­ri­ence from the touch­line, In­ver­aray’s new gen­er­a­tion lacked the nec­es­sary com­po­sure to get back on level terms and Strath­glass took their 1- 0 lead into the break.

In­ver­aray’s Ally Mac­Don­ald suf­fered a head knock early in the first half and an­other home blow fol­lowed when a long ball from Ryan Bal­harry de­ceived In­ver­aray keeper Scott MacLach­lan to make it 2- 0.

The goal seemed to in­spire In­ver­aray though and they dom­i­nated play for the fi­nal 30 min­utes.

With all the pres­sure, some­thing had to give and John Kennedy found the net with a tap-in from two yards out with only five min­utes re­main­ing.

With three min­utes of in­jury time, an equal­is­ing In­ver­aray goal was on the cards but Strath­glass held out to take the points.

Strath­glass, who host Skye in the Bal­liemore Cup this Satur­day, now go fourth.

Their early sea­son form jus­ti­fies their de­ci­sion to make the step up from Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1 at the end of last sea­son.

De­spite the de­feat, In­ver­aray will be delighted with the form of 18-year- old Robert Wood who came on as a sub­sti­tute and had a great game in de­fence.

Next up for In­ver­aray is an in­trigu­ing Gre­gor Cameron Con­sul­tancy Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup tie against Bute at The Mead­ows.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1

Glenurquhart 0 Kin­lochshiel 2 The Kin­lochshiel sec­ond team notched up their first win of the sea­son, beat­ing the Glenurquhart sec­ond team 2- 0 at Blair­beg.

With no ’Shiel first team game, Ally Nixon was given a run out with the sec­onds and opened the scor­ing five min­utes be­fore the break.

WD MacRae made it 2- 0 four min­utes af­ter the re-start against a ‘ Glen’ sec­ond team who lost a num­ber of play­ers to their un­der-strength se­nior side.

Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1

Aber­dour 1 Tay­forth 2 Tay­forth came from a goal down to beat Aber­dour 2-1 at Sil­ver­sands.

Aber­dour’s Kieran Burns was free of sus­pen­sion as the home side went into the match as league lead­ers.

Tay­forth started well but a good fin­ish from David MacKen­zie gave Aber­dour the lead against the run of play on 12 min­utes.

Fin­lay Stark drew Tay­forth level on 18 min­utes.

Hamish An­der­son gave Tay­forth a 2-1 lead with a shot from a tight an­gle on 33 min­utes; with the home side claim­ing the ball had en­tered the goal through the side-net­ting. Aber­dour, who had the ma­jor­ity of the pres­sure in the sec­ond half, had a chance to level when ref­eree Ross Brown awarded them a penalty af­ter Alec Mitchell was im­peded. Roddy MacColl was un­able to con­vert from the spot though.

The win means Tay­forth now leap-frog Aber­dour at the top of the ta­ble. Bal­lachul­ish 1 Bute 3 Bute started the sea­son on mi­nus eight points fol­low­ing their late de­ci­sion to drop down from the Na­tional to Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 but they got their league sea­son off to a win­ning start, beat­ing Bal­lachul­ish 3-1 at Ju­bilee Park.

All the goals came within the first half hour of the match.

Lorne Brown put Balla’ ahead af­ter six min­utes but Craig MacKay lev­elled on 14 min­utes.

Franco Devlin then scored twice on 24 and 28 min­utes to give Bute a 3-1 win.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2

There were no sched­uled games in this di­vi­sion.

Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 2

Bute 2 Oban Lorn 2 Oban Lorn fi­nally got their sea­son un­der way with a 2-2 draw against the Bute sec­ond team at The Mead­ows.

Oban Lorn duo Calum McLean and Shaun MacIver served a sus­pen­sion car­ried for­ward from the end of last sea­son.

Chris Mc­Gowan and An­drew MacLach­lan scored for Bute but a Ewan MacCorquo­dale dou­ble earned the Oban side a point.

WCA round-up

Top Women’s Ca­manachd Association teams were back in ac­tion on Sun­day April 8.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1

Aber­dour 5 Fort Wil­liam 1 Aber­dour recorded their first win of the sea­son, beat­ing Fort Wil­liam 5-1 in their 2pm throw up at Sil­ver­sands.

The Aber­dour goals were scored by Dawn Ryan, 2, Mhairi Bryson, Katie Booth and Ni­amh Don­nelly, whilst Fort Wil­liam’s counter was an own goal. Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 5 Bade­noch 4 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll won for the first time in the league this sea­son, edg­ing out Bade­noch by the odd goal in nine in their 1pm throw up at Yoker.

Zoe Reid scored twice for Bade­noch with Kirsty Deans and Eilidh Ross getting the oth­ers. How­ever dou­bles from Lind­say Michie and Kirsty Gray and a Katie Drain goal gave GMA vic­tory. Skye Ca­manachd P Lo­vat P The match be­tween league lead­ers Skye Ca­manachd Ladies and Lo­vat Ladies at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree on Satur­day April 8 was post­poned.

Both teams have agreed to resched­ule the match for a later date.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2

Lochaber 5 Strath­glass 0 The Lochaber sec­ond team go sec­ond in Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 af­ter they beat Strath­glass 5- 0 in their 1pm throw-up at Spean Bridge.

Claire De­laney bagged dou­ble with Stephanie Walsh, Alison MacVicar and Sarah Davie also on tar­get.

Youth shinty round-up

2017 Tul­loch Cup - South Seven pri­mary school teams from across the south district took part in the first round of the Tul­loch Cup - South at Moss­field on Thurs­day March 23.

Rock­field, Park, Taynuilt, S t rachur / Ti ghnabr ua ich , Rothe­say, Glas­gow Gaels and In­ver­aray played in a round robin tour­na­ment over the course of the af­ter­noon.

Taynuilt came out on top fol­low­ing a close set of fix­tures.

There will be a sec­ond round of games at Stra­chur on Thurs­day May 11 as the teams com­pete to see who pro­gresses to the Tul­loch Cup na­tional fi­nal.

Af­ter the Oban event, Ca­manachd Association Re­gional De­vel­op­ment Of­fi­cer – West Euan Mc­Murdo said: ‘I was delighted to see both an in­crease in the num­ber of teams par­tic­i­pat­ing from last year’s com­pe­ti­tion and the com­pet­i­tive­ness of all the games.’

Shinty kit for Stra­chur pri­mary school

Stra­chur pri­mary and preschools re­ceived a batch of first shinty sticks and balls from Stra­chur and District Shinty Club as part of their re­cent good health week.

The young shinty play­ers also had an en­joy­able first shinty coach­ing ses­sion led by Ally Mir­rlees and Gerry Gib­son from Stra­chur Shinty Club.

Stra­chur and District Shinty Club, who made their re­turn to se­nior shinty this sea­son af­ter a 12-month ab­sence, thanked the staff at Stra­chur school for their sup­port and Ca­manachd Association De­vel­op­ment Of­fi­cer - West Euan Mc­Murdo for his guid­ance. Re­vised Ca­manachd Cup first round draw The 2017 Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup first round is now known fol­low­ing the pre­lim­i­nary round ties played on Satur­day 8 April. First Round Satur­day May 6 Fort Wil­liam v Oban Celtic Aberdeen Uni v Skye Bute v Caberfeidh Kil­mory v Taynuilt In­ver­aray v Tay­forth Strath­glass v Bal­lachul­ish The ten premier­ship clubs, in­clud­ing hold­ers New­ton­more, en­ter the com­pe­ti­tion at the sec­ond round stage which is played on Satur­day May 27. That draw will take place on Mon­day 8 May, fol­low­ing the first round ties.

The fi­nal takes place at the Bught Park, In­ver­ness on Satur­day Septem­ber 30. Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Draw Up­date The Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup draw is clearer fol­low­ing the first round ties: Sec­ond round Satur­day April 29 Fort Wil­liam / Kin­lochshiel v Oban Lorn Caberfeidh v In­ver­ness SCOTS Ca­manachd / Bute v Caith­ness Aber­dour v Kin­gussie Lochaber v Glen­garry Kyles Ath­letic v Lochside Rovers New­ton­more v Lochcar­ron Glenurquhart v Bole­sk­ine The 2017 Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal will take place on Satur­day July 29 and the venue has yet to be con­firmed.

Pho­to­graph: Kevin McG­lynn.

Oban Ca­manachd and Glenurquhart play­ers ob­serve a minute’s si­lence be­fore their Marine Har­vest Premier­ship match at Moss­field in mem­ory of for­mer Ca­manachd cap­tain ‘Nonny’ MacInnes.

Pho­to­graph: Iain Ferguson, The Write Image.

Kyles Ath­letic’s Sandy MacKen­zie tack­les Kil­mallie’s Cal­lum MacDougall dur­ing their Marine Har­vest Premier­ship match which the Tighnabru­aich side won by the odd goal in three.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

Law Jones of Strath­glass gets his block in against In­ver­aray’s Grant Grif­fin dur­ing last week­end’s Na­tional Di­vi­sion match at the Win­ter­ton which the away side won 2-1.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Skye’s Will Cowie com­pletes his hat-rick in the game against Beauly in the pre­lim­i­nary round of the the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Kyles Ath­letic’s Cairn Lim­bert shields the ball from Lo­vat’s Rory Camp­bell dur­ing last week­end’s Suther­land Cup tie at Bal­gate.

Pho­to­graph: Kevin McG­lynn.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Mat­tie Rip­pon takes a tum­ble in the ‘D’ in the game against Glenurquhart.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Beauly keeper Kyle Mac­Don­ald tries to block this ef­fort from Lochside Rovers’ Craig MacDougall dur­ing the Suther­land Cup tie which the Oban side won 2- 0.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.