Ca­mam­nachd Cup first round ties on Satur­day

Artemis Ma­caulay Cup - first round

The Oban Times - - Sport -

THERE were sur­prises, ex­tra-time and penalty shoot- outs and all but one of the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup quar­ter-fi­nal­ists are known fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day April 29 2017.

Kin­lochshiel 0 Lo­vat 0

(AET - Lo­vat won 3-2 on penal­ties) Artemis Ma­caulay Cup hold­ers Kin­lochshiel have been knocked out of this year’s com­pe­ti­tion, even­tu­ally los­ing out to Lo­vat af­ter a penalty shoot- out at Kirk­ton

There was a minute’s si­lence ahead of throw up to re­mem­ber Lo­vat’s 1953 Ca­manachd Cup win­ner Wil­lie MacLean who re­cently passed away.

There may have been no goals in this tie but it had just about ev­ery­thing else.

Kin­lochshiel hit the frame of the goals on three oc­ca­sions and whilst Lo­vat keeper Stu­art MacDon­ald pro­duced some mar­vel­lous saves, Scott Kennedy in the ’Shiel goal was cer­tainly no idle by­stander.

’Shiel kept the ball wide in at­tack and cre­ated a num­ber of chances but the Lo­vat de­fence was on form with Daniel Grieve out­stand­ing.

There was a good bat­tle be­tween full cen­tres Fin­lay MacRae and Danny Kelly, who can­celled each other out, al­though Lo­vat had more suc­cess on the mid­field wings.

You just couldn’t take your eyes off the ac­tion and the game’s main talk­ing point came on 73 min­utes. Lo­vat passed up more than one chance to clear their lines fol­low­ing a ’Shiel cor­ner and as Oliver MacRae went into a chal­lenge, Jor­dan Fraser raced across from the right to send a thun­der­ous shot goal­wards. What hap­pened next will be re­mem­bered by all those who at­tended the game for many-a-year. Lo­vat keeper Stu­art MacDon­ald got his hand to the shot but such was the power of the strike, the ball spun up and over the keeper and looked cer­tain to drop into the back of the net. Keeper MacDon­ald, by now on his knees, threw him­self for­wards to­wards his goal and, with an out-stretched arm, he flicked the drop­ping ball away with his ca­man for a cor­ner on the ’Shiel left.

The save was cap­tured by cam­era­man Nor­man Stra­chan and has since be­come a YouTube sen­sa­tion, fea­tured on the Ca- man­achd As­so­ci­a­tion Face­book page, and it drew warm ap­plause from both sets of sup­port­ers.

The ex­tra-time pe­riod still failed to pro­duce a goal and, as with what had gone be­fore, the en­su­ing penalty shoot- out at the top goal was dra­matic.

Lo­vat player/man­ager Fraser Gal­lacher led by ex­am­ple, giv­ing his side the lead only for Jor­dan Fraser to level.

Lo­vat’s Greg Mathe­son, who had suf­fered sev­eral knocks dur­ing the game, and ’Shiel’s Fin­lay MacRae both sent their ef­forts over the top.

Scott Kennedy made a great save, high to his left, to deny Lorne MacKay and John MacRae fired low into the net to put ’Shiel 2-1 ahead.

Craig Main­land re­stored par­ity, al­though Kennedy al­most kept the ball out, and Stu­art MacDon­ald made a great save, stretch­ing a foot to his left, to thwart Keith MacRae.

Scott Kennedy then stretched a foot to his right to save Cal­lum Cru­den’s strike so Oliver MacRae had a chance to win it for ’Shiel but Stu­art MacDon­ald made an­other fan­tas­tic save.

With the shoot- out at 2-2 af­ter the first 10 hits, the con­test went to sud­den death with the play­ers lin­ing up in the same or­der.

Fraser Gal­lacher scored, send­ing the ball high over the keeper’s left shoul­der, to give Lo­vat the ad­van­tage.

Jor­dan Fraser had to score for ’Shiel but his strike was well-saved with his ca­man by Stu­art MacDon­ald to give Lo­vat vic­tory.

It was a game nei­ther team de­served to lose and ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies flashed the yel­low card five times to dif­fuse any po­ten­tial flash­points.

Fort Wil­liam 2 Glenurquhart 2

(AET - Fort Wil­liam won 2- 0 on penal­ties) Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion side Fort Wil­liam are through to the next round af­ter they beat Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship out­fit Glenurquhart on penal­ties fol­low­ing their 2-2 draw in their 3pm throw up at An Aird.

Fort Wil­liam took the lead through Ar­ran MacPhee on 20 min­utes but Fraser Heath lev­elled with an un­stop­pable first time shot just six min­utes later.

James Hur­wood scored a minute be­fore the break to put the Glen in front and it looked as if they would see out a 2-1 win.

Glenurquhart at times seemed to be look­ing for the per­fect goal and they were made to pay as Fort Wil­liam upped their game in the fi­nal pe­riod, show­ing in­creased ur­gency and Ar­ran MacPhee got his sec­ond to make it 2-2 with 10 min­utes re­main­ing.

Garry MacK­in­tosh in the Glen goal made a cou­ple of late saves but, with no fur­ther scor­ing, ref­eree Archie Ritchie took the tie into ex­tra-time.

But with nei­ther side able to add to their tally, a penalty shoot- out en­sued.

Ar­ran MacPhee was up first but his ef­fort was saved with by the legs of Garry MacK­in­tosh. The Glen couldn’t take ad­van­tage though as Fraser Heath’s penalty was saved with his stick by Paul MacKay.

With Mark Grant’s penalty saved and John Barr miss­ing the tar­get, it was score­less af­ter four penal­ties.

Fort Wil­liam’s Jack Fraser was up next and he broke the dead­lock and Paul MacKay saved from Lachie Smith.

Bobby MacMil­lan’s penalty went in off the keeper to make it 2- 0 and, with Paul MacKay saving the Glen’s fourth penalty from David MacLen­nan; the An Aird side went through to the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Kin­gussie 0 Lochaber 2

Lochaber notched their first win of the sea­son, beat­ing Kin­gussie 2- 0 at The Dell.

For­wards Martin Dal­las, Ryan Borth­wick and James Falconer were all miss­ing for Kin­gussie.

Lochaber’s Barry MacDon­ald served the sec­ond game of a two-match sus­pen­sion whilst Brian MacDon­ald was out with a bro­ken thumb.

Lochaber have found goals hard to come by this sea­son but Shaun Ni­col­son, who linked up well with Con­nor Sweeney through­out, got his re­wards in this game with fin­ishes on 15 and 22 min­utes to make it 2- 0.

Find­lay MacDon­ald played well for Lochaber and Ally Fer­gu­son’s side will look to build on this win when they even­tu­ally re­turn to league ac­tion.

Oban Ca­manachd 4 Bal­lachul­ish 0

With Moss­field un­avail­able, the tie be­tween Oban Ca­manachd and Bal­lachul­ish was switched to Gana­van, where the Oban side ran out com­fort­able 4- 0 win­ners.

There was a sim­i­lar­ity to all four Oban goals; all net­ted from close in with Iain Hay’s side tak­ing ad­van­tage of any re­bounds off the keeper.

Andrew MacCuish scored on 33 and 41 min­utes and when Daniel MacVicar made it 3- 0 on 42 min­utes, there was only go­ing to be one win­ner.

Oban Ca­manachd made a bit of a meal of things af­ter the break but Daniel Cameron did add a fourth with just SEVEN min­utes re­main­ing.

In­ver­aray 4 Oban Celtic 5 (AET)

2016 Artemis Ma­caulay Cup run­ners up In­ver­aray were knocked out of this year’s tour­na­ment, los­ing 5- 4 to Oban Celtic af­ter ex­tra-time in their all-Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion tie at The Win­ter­ton.

Lee Askew opened scor­ing with a scrappy goal af­ter five min­utes of what would proved to be a nine-goal thriller.

As the game flowed from end to end, In­ver­aray re­sponded well and young Ruaraidh Gra­ham lev­elled on 14 min­utes with Al­lan MacDon­ald put­ting the home side ahead on 31 min­utes.

An­other blow was to fol­low for Celtic as they lost full back Andy MacDon­ald with a nasty cut to his face.

How­ever, this all seemed to spur Oban Celtic on and former Scot­land U21 in­ter­na­tional Daniel Madej made it 2-2 with a well-worked goal on 37 min­utes.

Oban Celtic then shot them­selves in the foot, con­ced­ing di­rectly from the restart as Al­lan MacDon­ald grabbed his sec­ond to give In­ver­aray a 3-2 ad­van­tage at the break.

When Al­lan MacDon­ald com­pleted his hat-trick on 65 min­utes, In­ver­aray had one foot in the next round.

It would have been easy for Oban Celtic to throw in the towel but man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon went for broke.

Ross MacMil­lan was moved into the for­ward line, where he gave Dou­glas Dando a tor­rid time, and David MacInnes went to half back. Lee Askew went out on the wing and Daniel MacMil­lan came off the bench with Daniel Madej go­ing onto the D and Neil Carmichael drop­ping back to half for­ward.

Oban Celtic showed great char­ac­ter and a ‘never say die’ at­ti­tude and the moves paid div­i­dends with Neil Carmichael scor­ing twice in the fi­nal seven min­utes.

Carmichael made it 4-3 on 82 min­utes with a low, driven shot which sneaked into the cor­ner of the net.

Even then it looked as if In­ver­aray would grind out the win and make it into the next round but Neil Carmichael clearly hadn’t read the script and, just a minute from time, with In­ver­aray in dis­ar­ray at the back, he flicked the ball into the top cor­ner of the net to make it 4- 4 and ref­eree Wil­lie MacDon­ald took the tie into ex­tra-time.

Oban Celtic were the fit­ter side dur­ing ex­tra-time, with In­ver­aray fail­ing to match their op­po­nents’ de­sire.

Oban Celtic had the ball in the net on 97 min­utes but the ef­fort was cor­rectly ruled out for off­side.

With Ally Munro go­ing off in­jured, In­ver­aray pulled Al­lan MacDon­ald back into de­fence where Celtic for­ward Daniel Madej was prov­ing a hand­ful.

Gary MacPher­son moved up top but never re­ally threat­ened as the Celtic de­fend­ers were strong.

With just 90 sec­onds left, and both man­agers con­tem­plat­ing their five penalty tak­ers, Celtic won it. Daniel Madej hit a snap-shot on the turn from 20 yards out which was saved by Scott Ma­cLach­lan but Daniel MacMil­lan was first to re­act and he ri­fled the ball low and hard into the net to win the tie and set up a derby meet­ing with Oban Ca­manachd at Gana­van in the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Af­ter the match, Oban Celtic player/man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon said: ‘Our boys were just great to­day. They never gave up; even at 4-2 down, and away from home, they be­lieved in them­selves as did I. The hard work at train­ing is pay­ing off. We have no game this com­ing Satur­day as it is Calum Fox’s stag- do, so the boys will en­joy a well- earned rest be­fore we get back to it again.’

In­ver­aray will ob­vi­ously be dis­ap­pointed with the re­sult but they don’t have time to feel sorry for them­selves as they are back to cup duty this com­ing Satur­day, at home to Tay­forth in the Ca­manachd Cup.

Skye Ca­manachd 1 New­ton­more 3

New­ton­more beat Skye Ca­manachd 3-1 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Steven Mor­ri­son was still out for Skye. Paul MacArthur, who has been ham­pered with a ham­string prob­lem, trav­elled with New­ton­more and was an un­used sub­sti­tute. Nor­man Camp­bell con­tin­ued in goal and Rory Kennedy re­cov­ered from a knock sus­tained in the pre­vi­ous week’s win over Lochaber.

New­ton­more won the toss and played with a stiff breeze at their backs in the first half.

Skye made a pos­i­tive start to the game but it was New­ton­more who went in front on five min­utes when Iain Robin­son gath­ered pos­ses­sion. He showed great pace to burst for­ward from the right wing, into the D, and sent the ball into the net to make it 1- 0.

Glen MacK­in­tosh made it 2- 0 just four min­utes later when he drove a loose ball from a Drew MacDon­ald cor­ner into the net from 22 yards out.

Skye ab­sorbed a fair bit of New­ton­more pressure be­fore pulling a goal back on 34 min­utes. A John Gil­lies free-hit from the left of mid­field broke for James Pringle on the Skye right and he sent a great shot into the net to make it 2-1.

Glen MacK­in­tosh re­stored ’More’s two-goal ad­van­tage on 56 min­utes when he col­lected a Drew MacDon­ald pass on the right and he gave keeper Iain MacLeod no chance with a firm strike.

Aber­dour 1 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 5

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll de­feated Aber­dour 5-1 in their 3pm throw-up game at Sil­ver­sands.

Goals from Calum McLay, with a 30-yard strike on four min­utes, and Brian Slat­tery, who played a one-two with Garry Luke be­fore scor­ing on 10 min­utes, got GMA off to a solid start.

The vis­i­tors played with Premier­ship pace in the first half and they killed the tie be­fore the break.

Calum McLay got his sec­ond on 40 min­utes, tap­ping home a re­bound off the keeper and Craig An­der­son also found the back of the net a minute be­fore the break when he raced onto a long ball over the top to make it 4- 0.

Craig An­der­son got his sec­ond on 75 min­utes, slot­ting home a re­bound af­ter a Calum McLay ef­fort was saved, and al­though David MacKen­zie pulled a goal back a minute later with a shot from dis­tance which bounced past Robert Dun­nings in the vis­it­ing goal, it was GMA’s day.

Photo: Neil Pater­son.

Lo­vat play­ers cel­e­brate the save made by keeper Stu­art Macdon­ald (sec­ond left) that won the penalty shoot out against last year’s Ma­caulay Cup win­ners Kin­lochshiel.

Ac­tion from the Fort Wil­liam/Glenurquhart match which Fort Wil­liam won on penal­ties.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.