Six engines tackle glen blaze
CHARRED remains and melted belongings were all that were left after a fire broke out at a campsite in Glen Etive over the weekend, writes Ellie Forbes.
It is thought a wildfire started in the Lochan Urr area of Glen Etive on Sunday May 7. The fire was still going at 4pm on Monday with firefighters on scene trying to get it under control.
Mark Shone, a stalker at Glen Etive Estate, told the Lochaber
Times: ‘ Two campers had lit a camp fire in the area and it has just taken off because of the dry weather and a bit of wind. They have obviously just taken off and abandoned ship without raising the alarm.
‘After the fire was put out you could see all that was left was a melted tent, cooking pot and a mobile phone.
‘ We don’t think it was set deliberately but a bit of common sense wouldn’t have gone amiss.
‘ There is a sign about 100m from where they camped saying don’t light fires in this area.’
Mark said his advice to campers at this time of year would be do not light fires, adding: ‘ When you’re on the hills where there is a lot of grass, fires can spread so quickly, especially if they get a bit of wind behind them. Even disposable barbecues can be dangerous at this time of year.’
For more on this story, turn to page three.
The fire broke out on Sunday morning and caused significant damage in the area.