Wa­ter co­in­ci­dence

The Oban Times - - FRONT PAGE - LOUISE GLEN lglen@oban­times.co.uk

FAM­ILY ties were re­in­forced when Tober­mory RNLI trans­ported re­tained fire­fight­ers to Calve Is­land to tackle a se­ri­ous fire.

TOBER­MORY RNLI’s vol­un­teer crew trans­ported re­tained fire­fight­ers to Calve Is­land to tackle a se­ri­ous fire, one of whom was the great-grand­son of Tober­mory lifeboat’s first coxswain.

Tober­mory lifeboat El­iz­a­beth Fair­lie Ram­say launched at 6.25pm last Mon­day (May 8) for fire­fight­ers to tackle the large grass fire on the is­land in Tober­mory Bay.

Nine fire­fight­ers were trans­ferred to the is­land, in­clud­ing Tober­mory watch man­ager Iain ‘Phooey’ No­ble whose great-grand­fa­ther, Alexan­der No­ble, was the first coxswain of the Tober­mory lifeboat, serv­ing be­tween 1938 and 1947.

The fire crew suc­cess­fully put out the grass fire and re­turned to Tober­mory where the lifeboat was re­fu­elled and made ready for ser­vice at 8.41pm.

Tober­mory coxswain David McHaffie said: ‘We were alerted to the fire dur­ing a lifeboat meet­ing at the sta­tion where, iron­i­cally, we were just in the mid­dle of a dis­cus­sion about work­ing with other agen­cies.

‘ We’re pleased that we were able to play a small part in help­ing our col­leagues from the Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice get the fire un­der con­trol and put it out so quickly.

‘And we were all par­tic­u­larly pleased to give Mr No­ble a lift on the lifeboat given his fam­ily con­nec­tion to our first ever coxswain.’

Oban RNLI lifeboat was also in ac­tion last week af­ter be­ing called out on Thurs­day to as­sist with a dou­ble med­i­cal trans­fer from the Isle of Mull.

The ves­sel launched at 7.30pm to as­sist the Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice with the med­i­cal trans­fer of two pa­tients from Mull and Iona Com­mu­nity Hospi­tal.

The Mora Edith Mac­Don­ald de­parted Oban with two paramedics on board, ar­riv­ing at Craignure by 8.10pm.

Fol­low­ing the trans­fer of both pa­tients to the lifeboat, the vol­un­teer crew de­parted Mull for Oban, ar­riv­ing back where ca­su­al­ties were trans­ferred to a wait­ing am­bu­lance by 9.03pm.

Oban lifeboat then re­turned to sta­tion where she was re­fu­elled and made ready for ser­vice again by 9.20pm.

Smoke bil­lows from Calve Is­land but the RNLI fer­ried fire­fight­ers, in­clud­ing Iain ‘Phooey’ No­ble, in­set right, to tackle the blaze. Be­low is Tober­mory lifeboat first crew in 1938, coxswain of which was Iain’s great- grand­fa­ther.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.