Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup – Sec­ond Round

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Kin­lochshiel 0 Oban Ca­manachd 0

The tie of the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup sec­ond round looked to be at Kirk­ton where Kin­lochshiel and Oban Ca­manachd played out a goal­less draw.

In­jury ruled out ’Shiel trio Gordie MacDon­ald, Oliver MacRae and Paul MacRae whilst Oban Ca­manachd duo Wil­lie Neil­son and Gary McKer­racher re­cov­ered from knocks picked up in the pre­vi­ous week’s draw with Kyles Ath­letic with the for­mer start­ing on the bench.

This tie could have gone ei­ther way and a draw was prob­a­bly a fair re­sult as it would have been harsh on ei­ther side to have lost out.

Both de­fences were on top through­out the game which re­stricted the num­ber of clearcut chances and keep­ers Scott Kennedy and Gavin Sto­b­bart com­fort­ably dealt with any­thing that came their way.

Ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron sent- off Kin­lochshiel full for­ward John MacRae for two yel­low cards and he will miss the re­play be­tween the sides.

Oban Ca­manachd’s An­drew MacCuish had a great chance to win it a cou­ple of min­utes from time but his shot went just the wrong side of the post from around 15 yards out.

With Moss­field host­ing Oban Live, the re­play will take place at the Taynuilt Sports Field this com­ing Satur­day.

Oban Ca­manachd de­fender Scott McKil­lop will be a doubt for that game af­ter suf­fer­ing a bad knock to the shin.

Fort Wil­liam 1 New­ton­more 3

Hold­ers New­ton­more sur­vived a first half set-back to make it into the next round.

Fort Wil­liam’s Lewis Clark served the sec­ond match of a two-game sus­pen­sion whilst ’More’s Jamie Robin­son was able to take a place on the bench.

A pow­er­ful Gra­ham Camp­bell strike gave Fort Wil­liam the lead with just three first-half min­utes re­main­ing.

How­ever, when ref­eree Robert Bax­ter awarded New­ton­more a penalty on the stroke of half time, Steven MacDon­ald stepped up to score.

Fraser MacK­in­tosh gave the vis­i­tors the lead just three min­utes af­ter the restart and Glen MacK­in­tosh rounded off the win when he made it 3-1 on 76 min­utes.

Skye Ca­manachd 2 Kin­gussie 1

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion lead­ers Skye Ca­manachd beat Kin­gussie, sec­ond in shinty’s top flight, 2-1 in their 3pm throw up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye were miss­ing full cen­tre Gil­leas­buig MacDon­ald whilst Steven Mor­ri­son re­mained side­lined through in­jury. Danny Mor­ri­son hurt his back in the lead up to the game and was only able to take up a place on the bench. James Pringle re­turned to the start­ing 12 af­ter in­jury.

Kin­gussie were miss­ing James Hutchi­son so Lee Bain came into the de­fence at buck­shee back with Robert Mabon go­ing to full back. James Fal­coner and Martin Dal­las re­mained on the Kin­gussie in­jury list.

Skye took an early lead with Jor­dan Murchi­son scor­ing af­ter just three min­utes. Iain Ni­col­son played in a high free-hit and Murchi­son found space at the back post and, from around 15 yards out, he crashed the ball into the roof of net to make it 1- 0.

Craig Daw­son made a fine save to deny Ste­wart Grant at the ex­pense of a cor­ner be­fore the Is­lan­ders made it 2- 0 on 14 min­utes. Jor­dan Murchi­son beat a cou­ple of de­fend­ers but his shot was go­ing wide un­til Will Cowie man­aged to stop the ball with his feet on the edge of D and his strike went through the keeper’s legs.

It was an out­stand­ing first half from Skye but they were un­able to get what would have been a killer third goal.

The first half was Skye’s, and they should have added to their tally, but Kin­gussie dom­i­nated for the sec­ond pe­riod.

It was a ‘ backs-to-the-wall per­for­mance from Skye for the last half an hour of the tie and the Kings re­duced the deficit on 75 min­utes when ref­eree Calum Gir­van pe­nalised Ste­wart Grant for a kick in­side the D. Savio Genini didn’t catch the spot-hit as cleanly as he would have liked but the ball took a vi­cious kick off the sur­face as Skye goalie Iain Macleod tried to keep the ball out with his foot.

Kin­gussie pushed Lee Bain for­ward and he hit the post whilst Chris Hol­leysong sent the ball over the top from a good po­si­tion.

So de­spite their ex­cel­lent start to their league pro­gramme, Kin­gussie have ex­ited all three cup com­ple­tions at the first round stage.

Glenurquhart 1 Lo­vat 1

Glenurquhart and Lo­vat will have to do it all over again this week­end af­ter draw­ing 1-1 at Blair­beg.

Glenurquhart’s in­jury woes eased as Fraser Heath, Con­nor Go­labek and John Barr re­turned to the start­ing line-up with Barr at full for­ward. Daniel MacK­in­tosh was also back, tak­ing up a place on the bench. How­ever, James MacPher­son, David MacLen­nan and Cal­lum Smith were all out. Lach­lan Smith started at full back.

Lo­vat’s Daniel Grieve, who was nurs­ing a foot in­jury, served a one-match sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old but Craig Main­land re­turned, start­ing at buck­shee back.

It was a largely un­event­ful first half in which Neale Reid failed to con­nect with a through ball on six min­utes and Con­nor Go­labek forced a Stu­art MacDon­ald save on 13 min­utes.

There was a water break on 25 min­utes when the Glen took the chance to re­place Ar­ran MacDon­ald with Ally MacK­in­tosh at full cen­tre.

John Barr just man­aged to get past Drew Howie but sent his shot over the top in what was the fi­nal real chance of the half.

The tie did im­prove in the sec­ond half and Stu­art MacK­in­tosh had to be alert to keep out a Lorne MacKay strike from 35 yards out with the keeper sav­ing with his legs.

With the Glen now play­ing to­wards the shop end of the ground, a pow­er­ful Neale Reid shot from a tight an­gle saw Stu­art MacDon­ald throw him­self to spec­tac­u­larly turn the ball away for a cor­ner.

It was ironic that with two of shinty’s best keep­ers keep­ing the tie score­less, it was for­mer Ross County and Mother­well foot­ball goalie Michael Fraser who would break the dead­lock a minute later. Fin­lay Ral­ston sent a cor­ner to the edge of the D and the ball was knocked down to Michael Fraser who scored from close range to make it 1- 0 with 61 min­utes played.

Ref­eree Archie Ritchie con­trolled the game well and on 71 min­utes Greg Mathe­son was downed by Lach­lan Smith but he still man­aged to get the ball to an un­marked Lorne MacKay at the edge of the D but the ref­eree blew for the in­fringe­ment, with the goal judge flag­ging, whilst Lo­vat claimed for ad­van­tage.

How­ever, Lo­vat drew level just three min­utes later. Lorne MacKay got a touch on a shy from the right, send­ing the ball goal­wards, and Stu­art MacK­in­tosh was pe­nalised for a kick as he made the save. Glen dis­puted the award but Greg Mathe­son ex­pertly con­verted from the spot, smash­ing the penalty over the keeper’s left shoul­der to make it 1-1 with 74 min­utes played.

Glenurquhart had been on top but the goal lifted Lo­vat and Stu­art MacK­in­tosh made good saves dur­ing the last 10 min­utes, es­pe­cially from a Lorne MacKay piledriver at the end.

Both keep­ers played well with Glen’s An­drew Cor­ri­gan and Fraser Heath and Lo­vat’s Drew Howie and Martin Main­land also catch­ing the eye.

Glenurquhart’s Fin­lay Ral­ston and Lo­vat’s Scott MacKen­zie are surely two fine play­ers for the fu­ture.

In­ver­aray 5 Caber­feidh 1

Un­der­dogs In­ver­aray up­set the odds with a 5-1 win over Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion ri­vals Caber­feidh at The Win­ter­ton.

In­ver­aray started with a strong back four whilst up front, a mix of youth and ex­pe­ri­ence saw player/man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham and Fraser Watt start in the half for­ward po­si­tions leav­ing the dom­i­nant duo of Al­lan MacDon­ald and Lewis Mont­gomery at full for­ward.

Caber­feidh’s Martin MacDon­ald served a one-match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old but the Cas­tle Leod side trav­elled with con­fi­dence with their only defeat of the sea­son be­ing a nar­row 3-2 re­verse against New­ton­more.

In­ver­aray showed their in­ten­tions from the throw up and they hit the front with only six min­utes on the clock when cap­tain Lewis MacNi­col scored fol­low­ing a well-worked move in­volv­ing the for­ward line.

The goal seemed to mo­ti­vate In­ver­aray and Caber­feidh alike, up­ping the tempo of the game, but it was In­ver­aray again who man­aged to con­vert their chances into goals with two well-struck Al­lan MacDon­ald shots breach­ing the Caber­feidh de­fence on 15 and 33 min­utes to make it 3- 0.

With just more than five min­utes re­main­ing of the first half, Caber­feidh’s Scot­land U21 in­ter­na­tional Craig Mor­ri­son threw his side a life-line, tak­ing ad­van­tage of some le­nient In­ver­aray de­fend­ing, to make it 3-1 go­ing into half time.

The pat­tern of play re­mained un­changed in the sec­ond half with In­ver­aray look­ing very hun­gry, leav­ing Caber­feidh strug­gling to show any com­po­sure on the ball.

In an ef­fort to get back into the game, Cabers moved Kevin Bartlett into the mid­dle of the park when Garry MacPher­son had been dom­i­nat­ing but the home side con­tin­ued to hold the up­per hand.

As the tie moved into the fi­nal third, Fraser Watt was re­warded for his con­tin­u­ous ef­forts as two quick snap-shots found the back of the net on 64 and 68 min­utes to make the score 5-1.

Both teams had chances dur­ing the re­main­der of the sec­ond half but nei­ther man­aged to turn the op­por­tu­ni­ties into goals and, fol­low­ing three min­utes’ in­jury time, ref­eree Deek Cameron blew the fi­nal whis­tle to seal In­ver­aray’s place in the next round.

In­ver­aray de­fender Ni­co­las Craw­ford turned in a man- ofthe-match per­for­mance, mark­ing Scot­land marks­man Kevin Bartlett. Gary Macpher­son had an­other fan­tas­tic game in the mid­dle of the park for the yel­low and blacks with Lewis MacNi­col and Ally McDon­ald star­ring on ei­ther side of him.

In­ver­aray will want to cap­i­talise on this per­for­mance as they head north to play Strath­glass this Satur­day in a must-win game if they want to push to­wards the top of the Na­tional Di­vi­sion.

Caber­feidh will look to put this loss firmly be­hind them when they re­turn to league duty against Fort Wil­liam at An Aird in mid-June.

Kil­mallie 5 Lochaber 3

MacTav­ish Cup fi­nal­ists Kil­mallie fought off a Lochaber come-back to win their tie 5-3 at The Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie’s Aaron San­di­son and Innes Blackhall re­mained out through sus­pen­sion and in­jury re­spec­tively but Craig MacIsaac was given a start in at­tack.

Lochaber de­fender John Sweeney was still out with a hand in­jury whilst Danny De­laney was also miss­ing. There was a place in the squad for vet­eran Neil MacDon­ald.

Kil­mallie did the dam­age in the first half and Craig MacIsaac lost his marker to score af­ter just five min­utes.

Michael Rodger made it 2- 0 on 18 min­utes when he came deep to gather pos­ses­sion be­fore ri­fling the ball home.

When Craig MacIsaac got his sec­ond on 30 min­utes and Dun­can Rodger made it 4- 0 just five min­utes later, Kil­mallie looked out of sight.

How­ever, Lochaber re­grouped at the in­ter­val and Conor Sweeney pulled a goal back on 55 min­utes.

There was a flash­point for ref­eree Lachie Wood to deal with when Stephen MacAl­lis­ter and Conor Sweeney clashed. Sweeney was booked but MacAl­lis­ter was sent off and the likely two-match sus­pen­sion means he will miss the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal against New­ton­more at The Bught Park on Satur­day 10 June 2017.

Neil MacDon­ald made it 4-2 on 80 min­utes but when Martin Ste­wart set up Dun­can Rodger, he scored his sec­ond, blast­ing an un­stop­pable shot into the back of the net, with just a cou­ple of min­utes re­main­ing.

There was still time for Stu­art Cal­li­son to make it 5-3 just 60 sec­onds later but Kil­mallie go into the quar­ter-fi­nal draw.

Kyles Ath­letic 7 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 0

Kyles Ath­letic beat an un­der-strength Glas­gow Mid Argyll side 7- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Cal­lum Miller re­turned in de­fence for Kyles but GMA trav­elled with­out Dun­can ‘Ach’ MacRae, Innes MacMil­lan, Ryan Har­ri­son and keeper Robert Dun­nings.

An 11-minute Gor­don Whyte goal was quickly fol­lowed by a Scott MacDon­ald ef­fort just four min­utes later to give Kyles a 2- 0 ad­van­tage.

Roddy MacDon­ald made it 3- 0 on 38 min­utes and the Scot­land for­ward nabbed a sec­ond five min­utes into the sec­ond pe­riod.

Three late goals put gloss on the win.

Thomas Whyte added a fifth on 79 min­utes and Rob­bie MacLeod made it 6- 0 with five min­utes re­main­ing.

Thomas Whyte got his sec­ond a minute later, giv­ing the Tighnabru­aich side safe pas­sage into the next round.

Strath­glass 2 Kil­mory 1

Strath­glass came from a goal down to beat Kil­mory 2-1 at Can­nich.

With both sides in ma­roon strips, there was some last minute im­pro­vi­sa­tion which saw the hosts play in bibbed tops to avoid a colour clash.

Kil­mory started strongly. They took an ath­letic and mo­ti­vated side north, know­ing they had a great op­por­tu­nity to progress in the Scot­tish Cup.

And they took the lead on 22 min­utes with Alis­ter MacArthur scor­ing a well-taken goal.

Josh Fraser equalised a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the break with a beau­ti­fully-worked goal but he then had to go off when he

suf­fered a bad crack on the hand straight from the restart.

Fraser re­turned to the park with around 20 min­utes left to set up the pe­riod of play which led to Don­ald Fraser out-fox­ing his marker to make it 2-1 with 78 min­utes played, clinch­ing a quar­ter-fi­nal berth for David Bal­harry’s side.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.