Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Oban Celtic 5 In­ver­ness 3 The match be­tween Oban Celtic and In­ver­ness was orig­i­nally sched­uled for The Bught Park but was switched to Moss­field and Celtic took the chance to record their first Na­tional Di­vi­sion win of the sea­son.

Oban Celtic went into the game still miss­ing the ex­pe­ri­enced David MacInnes but turned in an im­proved per­for­mance than against Fort Wil­liam a week ear­lier and they took their goals well.

In­ver­ness wel­comed Scot­land U21 for­ward Char­lie MacDon­ald back from in­jury but they trav­elled with just 13 play­ers, los­ing one of them through in­jury early in the match.

The Oban Celtic de­fence were pretty much spec­ta­tors for the first 20 min­utes of this match with the home for­wards cre­at­ing a num­ber of chances with­out test­ing the vis­it­ing keeper.

They were made to pay on 25 min­utes when In­ver­ness counter-at­tacked in a move bril­liantly fin­ished off by Char­lie MacDon­ald, who rock­eted the ball into the top cor­ner of the net for what was to be the pick of the day’s goals.

As frus­tra­tion started to set in, Celtic they found them­selves dom­i­nat­ing play but un­able to ap­ply the fin­ish­ing touch.

In­ver­ness al­most ex­tended their lead on 35 min­utes but it was Celtic who would draw level on the stroke of half-time when a Daniel Madej free-hit found an un­marked Con­nor Howe and he sent his shot low and hard into the net, bag­ging his first goal for his new club.

Oban Celtic man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon had asked more of his play­ers fol­low­ing the Fort Wil­liam defeat and his half-time out­burst was taken on board with the hosts go­ing on to score four more times dur­ing the first 20 min­utes of the sec­ond half as they turned on the style.

Daniel Madej put Oban Celtic in front for the first time in the match a minute af­ter the restart and Neil Carmichael made it 3-1 on 52 min­utes.

Rory Bruce on 59 min­utes and Ross MacMil­lan on 65 min­utes ex­tended Celtic’s ad­van­tage.

The game wasn’t pretty at times and Celtic made changes but the fi­nal two goals of the match were scored by In­ver­ness through Padraig McNeil on 75 min­utes and James Cameron on 87 min­utes, mak­ing the fi­nal score 5-3. Ref­eree John Wood flashed straight red cards for In­ver­ness vet­eran Dougie Rankin and Oban Celtic’s Ally McKer­racher, who had an im­pres­sive game, fol­low­ing a late clash.

Robert Alexan­der turned in a man of the match per­for­mance on his Oban Celtic de­but.

The win takes Oban Celtic off the bot­tom of the table on goal dif­fer­ence at In­ver­ness’ ex­pense. The Oban side have no game this com­ing Satur­day which will al­low the play­ers car­ry­ing knocks some time to re­cover.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.