Nar­row win for red and blacks in Ca­manachd Cup re­play at Taynuilt

The Oban Times - - Sport -

OBAN Ca­manachd and Lo­vat se­cured the fi­nal two Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal places, whilst Kyles Ath­letic ex­tended their lead at the top of the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day June 3.

Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup sec­ond round re­plays Oban Ca­manachd 1 Kin­lochshiel 0

An An­drew ‘ Papa’ MacCuish goal made the dif­fer­ence as Oban Ca­manachd beat Kin­lochshiel 1- 0 in their Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup sec­ond round re­play at Taynuilt Sports Field.

The sides played out a goal­less draw at Kirk­ton a week ear­lier and the re­play was switched to Taynuilt as Oban Ca­manachd’s Moss­field pitch was host­ing the Oban Live con­cert.

Oban Ca­manachd de­fender Scott McKil­lop suf­fered a shin in­jury in the first game but made it for the re­play.

Scott MacMil­lan was work­ing but Wil­lie Neil­son started af­ter com­ing on as a sub­sti­tute a week ear­lier.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay went with some­thing dif­fer­ent in at­tack as he switched Aidan MacIn­tyre and Lorne Dickie up front with An­drew MacCuish and Mal­colm Clark on the wings.

Kin­lochshiel boss John­ston Gill didn’t have his se­lec­tion prob­lems to seek. John MacRae’s red card a week ear­lier saw him sus­pended.

Paul MacRae was out with a bro­ken fin­ger, Keith MacRae and Dun­can ‘DA’ MacRae were un­avail­able and Scott MacLean picked up a knee in­jury in the first match whilst Oliver MacRae and Gordie MacDon­ald were also out. Jor­dan Fraser took the ab­sen­tee list to eight play­ers.

Oban Ca­manachd had nu­mer­ous chances to wrap the game up in the first half but, by the in­ter­val, they only had one goal to show for their ef­forts.

The goal came on 36 min­utes when a free-hit was played on to An­drew MacCuish who drib­bled the ball past the keeper Scott Kennedy be­fore tapping it over the line to make it 1- 0.

A mix­ture of waste­ful fin­ish­ing and some good goal keep­ing from Scott Kennedy, par­tic­u­larly one su­perb dou­ble-save, kept Kin­lochshiel in it.

The sec­ond half was more even, although Ca­manachd still had chances to add to Mac- Cuish’s goal. Oban Ca­manachd’s slen­der lead meant Kin­lochshiel were al­ways a threat and Gavin Sto­b­bart had to make a cou­ple of good stops.

Kin­lochshiel threw ev­ery­one for­ward for the fi­nal min­utes of the game in an at­tempt to force a re­play but the Oban Ca­manachd de­fence stayed strong.

Kin­lochshiel’s Conor Cor­mack was sent off just af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle. There were around 20 play­ers in and around the Oban Ca­manachd ‘D’ and when Ca­manachd cleared the dan­ger. Conor Cor­mack made a late chal­lenge on Craig MacDougall and a num­ber of play­ers got in­volved. Ref­eree Deek Cameron sent Cor­mack off and showed yel­low cards to each team.

Kin­lochshiel’s cup form hasn’t matched their ex­cel­lent start to their league cam­paign. They are now out of shinty’s three ma­jor cup com­pe­ti­tions so will now fo­cus their at­ten­tions on the Pre­mier­ship where they have won all five of their matches so far.

They head for Blair­beg this Satur­day to play Glenurquhart.

Oban Ca­manachd now travel to The Win­ter­ton to play Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion side In­ver­aray in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nals on Satur­day July 8.

Next up for Iain Hay’s side though is an Artemis Ma­caulay Cup semi-fi­nal against Oban Celtic at Gana­van on Satur­day June 17.

Lo­vat 3 Glenurquhart 0

Lo­vat will play Kil­mallie at Canal Parks in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup last eight af­ter they beat Glenurquhart 3- 0 in their 3pm throw up at Bal­gate.

A Michael Fraser goal and a Greg Mathe­son penalty had the sides tied at a goal apiece in their sec­ond round en­counter at Blair­beg seven days ear­lier.

This was the fourth meet­ing be­tween the sides this sea­son, with Lo­vat yet to record a win.

An army of vol­un­teers mo­bilised to clear stones from the sur­face ahead of throw up as main­te­nance work on the Bal­gate pitch dur­ing the week, which in­cluded spread­ing cov­er­ings of top-soil, had left small stones on the sur­face.

Ref­eree Martin MacLean car­ried out a pre-match in­spec­tion and de­clared the field playable.

As with other matches across the coun­try, there was a minute’s si­lence ahead of throw-up to re­mem­ber Kil­mallie player and Scot­land cap Dun­can Rodger who passed away ear­lier in the week.

Daniel Grieve re­turned for the home side af­ter sus­pen­sion and in­jury. James MacPherson was back for Glenurquhart, also af­ter in­jury, and started on the bench. Cal­lum Smith and David MacLen­nan re­mained out and James Hur­wood was also miss­ing.

Glenurquhart made a bright start with Neale Reid send­ing a shot just past the post af­ter just 15 sec­onds.

The game then flowed from end-to- end and a fierce Greg Mathe­son shot from 18 yards out hit the Glenurquhart keeper Stu­art MacK­in­tosh but he re­cov­ered suf­fi­ciently to clear the dan­ger.

Lo­vat took the lead on nine min­utes. Greg Mathe­son’s shot was saved by keeper MacK­in­tosh but Lewis Tawse steered the re­bound home to make it 1- 0.

A Danny Kelly strike from dis­tance was stopped by Stu­art MacK­in­tosh and Greg Mathe­son went down un­der an An­drew Cor­ri­gan chal­lenge on the edge of the ‘D’ with the home side ap­peal­ing in vain for a penalty.

Craig Main­land came on for a limp­ing Martin Main­land on 27 min­utes.

Lorne MacKay made it 2- 0 on 30 min­utes. MacKay col­lected the ball and held off two heavy chal­lenges be­fore lash­ing a ven­omous shot from 25 yards out, low into the net.

There was more delight for the home sup­port on 33 min­utes. A long-range Ryan Fer­gu­son ef­fort was par­ried by MacK­in­tosh, but Greg Mathe­son was quickly in to dis­patch the loose ball into the net.

Lo­vat were well worth their 3- 0 in­ter­val lead and vis­it­ing boss Iain Ma­cLeod made changes with James MacPherson re­plac­ing full cen­tre Ar­ran MacDon­ald. MacPherson joined the at­tack, Con­nor Go­labek dropped back into de­fence and Fraser Heath went to cen­tre.

The Lo­vat de­fence never re­ally looked like los­ing a goal with Drew Howie again out­stand­ing against John Barr. He was ably as­sisted by fel­low de­fend­ers Daniel Grieve, Cal­lum Cru­den and Craig Main­land.

Lo­vat had a chance to ex­tend their lead on 52 min­utes. Ryan Fer­gu­son knocked down a Glenurquhart clear­ance and the ball dropped into the ‘ D’ where Stu­art MacK­in­tosh was pe­nalised for a kick.

Greg Mathe­son struck the penalty well enough but MacK­in­tosh made a fan­tas­tic save with his ca­man high above his head.

The tie turned tousy to­wards the end with John Barr and Fraser Heath amongst those find­ing their way into ref­eree Martin MacLean’s book.

Glenurquhart are now out of all three cup com­pe­ti­tions and will fo­cus on fin­ish­ing as high up the league as pos­si­ble.

Lo­vat might have been for­tu­nate to get away with a draw from the first tie but they were ter­rific in the re­play and if they can carry this form for­ward into their re­main­ing cup matches, they will be a force to be reck­oned with.

Teenagers Danny Kelly and Scott MacKen­zie, along with the more ex­pe­ri­enced Ryan Fer­gu­son, were dom­i­nant in mid­field, pro­vid­ing plenty of balls for the for­wards.

Fraser Gal­lacher’s Lo­vat side now travel to Canal Parks to play MacTav­ish Cup fi­nal­ists Kil­mallie in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nals.

Bal­liemore Cup quar­ter-fi­nals Skye Ca­manachd P Fort William P

The Bal­liemore Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie be­tween Skye Ca­manachd and Fort William at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, was post­poned at Fort William’s re­quest fol­low­ing the sad pass­ing of for­mer player Dun­can Rodger.

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup quar­ter fi­nals New­ton­more 8 Glen­garry 3

This Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie brought to­gether the league lead­ers from Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 and North Divi­sion 2 at The Ei­lan.

In the end, hold­ers New­ton­more pro­gressed over their lower league op­po­nents 8-3.

Evan Men­zies con­tin­ued his re­turn to ac­tion with a goal af­ter 19 min­utes.

John MacKen­zie made it 2- 0 on 23 min­utes and Evan Men­zies got his sec­ond on 27 min­utes.

Men­zies com­pleted his hat­trick a cou­ple of min­utes later but Daniel MacLen­nan pulled a goal back on 36 min­utes to make it 4-1 at the break.

New­ton­more’s Dun­can Gor­man and Glen­garry’s Daniel MacLen­nan traded goals on 55 and 58 min­utes and Glen­garry’s Stu­art Gre­gory made it 5-3 with an hour played.

Evan Men­zies net­ted his fourth goal of the af­ter­noon on 68 min­utes and sec­ond goals from John MacKen­zie on 75 min­utes and Dun­can Gor­man on 82 min­utes rounded off the 8-3 vic­tory.

New­ton­more will now play Fort William or Kin­gussie in the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup semi-fi­nals.

Gen­er­ous New­ton­more and Glen­garry sup­port­ers con­trib­uted £640 to a col­lec­tion for the fam­ily of Dun­can Rodger, Kil­mallie.

Fort William P Kin­gussie P

The Fort William sec­ond team were granted a post­pone­ment of their tie against the Kin­gussie sec­ond team fol­low­ing the pass­ing of for­mer Fort player Dun­can Rodger.

Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Kyles Ath­letic 3 Kin­gussie 1

Kyles Ath­letic took the chance to ex­tend their lead at the top of the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship, beat­ing Kin­gussie 3-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

This was the week­end’s only top flight match and ta­ble top­pers Kyles Ath­letic had a one point ad­van­tage over sec­ond placed Kin­gussie go­ing into the game.

Kyles Ath­letic man­ager James Per­lich was with­out Don­ald Irvine, Dunkie Kerr and Sandy MacKen­zie.

James Hutchi­son re­turned at full back for Dal­las Young’s Kin­gussie and Lee Bain was de­ployed at full for­ward.

How­ever James Fal­coner, who is fit fol­low­ing in­jury, was on hol­i­day and young­sters Roddy Young and Ruar­idh An­der­son were on a school trip.

Martin Dal­las has opted not to play again this sea­son. Dy­lan Borth­wick, who made a sub­sti­tute ap­pear­ance against Skye a week ear­lier, was given his first se­nior start.

Grant Irvine gave Kyles the lead on 21 min­utes when he got the bet­ter of his marker out wide on the left and, with the ref­eree play­ing ad­van­tage, Irvine sent a rocket shot from a tight an­gle into the top cor­ner of the net.

Roddy MacDon­ald made it 2- 0 on the half hour mark. MacDon­ald came deep to gain pos­ses­sion and his bril­liant run with the ball took him past two de­fend­ers and into the box where he tapped the ball past help­less keeper Craig Daw­son.

Kin­gussie pulled a goal back on 51 min­utes when Lee Bain held the ball up be­fore flick­ing it to wing for­ward Lee Rid­doch who smashed a shot through the keeper’s legs into the net.

Innes MacDon­ald sealed the win on 76 min­utes. Roddy MacDon­ald car­ried the ball out past his man, drag­ging Innes MacDon­ald’s marker wide in the process and Roddy MacDon­ald then touched the ball to his un­marked brother at the front post al­low­ing Innes MacDon­ald to slip it into the far side of the goal to make it 3-1.

This was a hard fought win for Kyles who are now three points clear at the top of the ta­ble. They have only dropped one point from eight league fix­tures but they will be aware Kin­lochshiel have five wins out of five so far.

New­ton­more P Kil­mallie P

The MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal re­hearsal be­tween New­ton­more and Kil­mallie was post­poned fol­low­ing the pass­ing of Kil­mallie player Dun­can Rodger.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Strath­glass 1 In­ver­aray 2

In­ver­aray knew it was cru­cial to their ti­tle push that they took both points against Strath­glass at Can­nich and they did just that with a 2-1 win.

In­ver­aray were with­out cen­tre line mae­stro Garry MacPherson and ex­pe­ri­enced de­fender Dou­glas Dando but for­mer In­ver­aray stal­wart David Robert­son came out of first team re­tire­ment to make his first se­nior ap­pear­ance of the sea­son, start­ing on the bench along­side Robert Wood and Ken­neth Kirkhope.

The pitch was in ex­cel­lent con­di­tion and the vis­i­tors made a strong start with cap­tain Lewis MacNi­col once again dom­i­nat­ing the cen­tre line and chal­leng­ing for ev­ery loose ball.

Spurred on by their cap­tain’s ef­forts, In­ver­aray started to con­trol the game and what seemed like the in­evitable vis­it­ing goal came on 13 min­utes when a break from the cen­tre line ended on the stick of 18-year- old Lewis Mont­gomery who slot­ted home the yel­low and blacks’ opener.

As the first half con­tin­ued, Strath­glass slowly edged their way into the game but In­ver­aray’s mix­ture of youth and ex­pe­ri­ence earned them a sec­ond goal when Al­lan MacDon­ald dou­bled their lead on 34 min­utes.

It was a much more de­ter­mined Strath­glass side that started the sec­ond half, chal­leng­ing ev­ery free ball and not giv­ing In­ver­aray any time in pos­ses­sion.

The vis­i­tors seemed to strug­gle in the pas­sen­ger’s seat for the first time in the game and Dar­ren Reid pulled a goal back on 57 min­utes, turn­ing the tempo of the game up once again.

Both sides had their fair share of chances with In­ver­aray hit­ting the post but they couldn’t find a way past Strath­glass keeper Ally MacA­dams who was on fine form.

In­ver­aray, hav­ing al­ready swapped player/man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham for David Robert­son, made two fur­ther changes, bring­ing young guns Robert Wood and Ken­neth Kirkhope off the bench. Both play­ers made pos­i­tive con­tri­bu­tions, es­pe­cially Wood who did well to hold the ball up front in an at­tempt to run the clock down.

This was a clean game played in good spirit with lit­tle need for in­ter­ven­tion from ref­eree Andy MacLean.

The win lifts In­ver­aray to fourth in the divi­sion and they will now seek re­venge on Oban Celtic in the Bal­liemore cup quar­ter-fi­nal this com­ing Satur­day af­ter the Oban side’s Artemis Ma­caulay Cup win at The Win­ter­ton at the end of April.

Beauly 5 In­ver­ness 1

Beauly came from a goal down to beat In­ver­ness 5-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Brae­view Park.

In­ver­ness were with­out Dougie Rankin who was sus­pended fol­low­ing his send­ing off against Oban Celtic the pre­vi­ous Satur­day.

James Cameron gave In­ver­ness the lead on 35 min­utes but two goals late in the half turned the match Beauly’s way.

Craig Rankin made it 1-1 with a goal on 44 min­utes and Jack MacDon­ald gave the hosts the lead when he scored on the stroke of half time.

Beauly were play­ing well and Jack MacDon­ald got his sec­ond on 53 min­utes and Craig Rankin went on to com­plete his hat-trick with goals on 66 and 70 min­utes.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Beauly 2 Aberdeen Univer­sity 8

Aberdeen Univer­sity bounced back from the pre­vi­ous week­end’s de­feat to league lead­ers New­ton­more by beat­ing the Beauly sec­ond team 8-2 in their noon throw-up at Brae­view Park.

Rob­bie Tuach gave Beauly the lead on three min­utes but Alex Dun­can equalised on nine min­utes. Gre­gor Cush­nie put the Stu­dents ahead on 12 min­utes and El­liot Moir drew Beauly level on 21 min­utes but that was as good as it got for the hosts.

The Aberdeen side went on to lead 5-2 at the break through an­other from Alex Dun­can on 38 min­utes, Ewan Fraser on 41 min­utes and a sec­ond Gre­gor Cush­nie goal on 44 min­utes.

Ewan Fraser got his sec­ond on 53 min­utes and Alex Dun­can com­pleted his hat-trick on 70 min­utes.

Jamie Beaton made 8-2 when he found the back of the net on 77 min­utes.

Aberdeen Univer­sity are now just a point be­hind third-placed Kin­gussie re­serves and have a cou­ple of games in hand. Kin­lochshiel 0 Skye Ca­manachd 9 Skye Ca­manachd came out on top in their re­serve team derby against the Kin­lochshiel sec­ond team win­ning 9- 0 at Kirk­ton.

With the Kin­lochshiel first team hav­ing a num­ber of ab­sen­tees for their Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup sec­ond round re­play against Oban Ca­manachd, Jon­nie MacAskill, Colin MacDiarmid, Cor­rin Camp­bell and WD MacRae were amongst the sec­ond team play­ers called up whilst Scott MacLean was in­jured.

With the Skye seniors idle, sec­ond team man­ager Kenny Ma­cLeod re­sisted the temp­ta­tion to load his squad with first team play­ers although he in­cluded Ally ‘Cleodi’ Ma­cLeod and Iain MacLel­lan – both of whom have re­cently been cov­er­ing first team ab­sences – with MacLel­lan start­ing on the bench.

Iain Nicolson started to get more game time at the re­quest of first team man­ager Wil­lie Cowie as his re­cent first team ap­pear­ances have been lim­ited.

Skye played down the slope in the first half and im­me­di­ately went on the at­tack, go­ing in front af­ter 10 min­utes.

Ross Gor­don made space at the back post to let a cross from the left drop and he crashed the ball home to open the scor­ing.

Con­nor Gilpin then scored an eight-minute hat-trick with goals on 15, 22 and 23 min­utes be­fore be­ing sub­sti­tuted.

Iain MacLel­lan came on in Gilpin’s place and scored on 32 min­utes to make it 5- 0 at the break.

Skye passed up some chances af­ter the restart be­fore Iain MacLel­lan got his sec­ond on 66 min­utes.

An­other Ross Gor­don strike on 72 min­utes was ar­guably the goal of the game. Gor­don jinked on the left to make enough space to send a blis­ter­ing shot over keeper Ray­mond Gil­lies’ left to make it 7- 0.

John An­gus MacInnes slot­ted home an eighth on 77 min­utes af­ter Con­nor Gilpin’s ef­fort had come back off the post and Gilpin, who came back on dur­ing the sec­ond half, made it 9- 0 a minute later.

Ross Gor­don had the ball in the net to­wards the end but the goal judge flagged for off­side.

The win ex­tends Skye’s un­beaten run to six matches and they go sec­ond in the ta­ble although they have played more games than the teams around them.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Tay­forth 1 Aber­dour 1

Tay­forth missed out on a chance to top Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 when they drew 1-1 with Tay­forth in their match at The Mead­ows Fes­ti­val, Ed­in­burgh.

This match formed part of a full week­end’s shinty ac­tion, in­clud­ing fix­tures and coach­ing ses­sions at The Mid­dle Meadow Walk area of The Mead­ows.

This event was the first of its kind in Ed­in­burgh and proved pop­u­lar with ev­ery­one who took part.

Aber­dour had the bet­ter of the first half and took the lead through An­gus Thor­burn on 37 min­utes.

The sec­ond half be­longed to Tay­forth though and Bren­dan Dug­gan lev­elled a cou­ple of min­utes into the sec­ond half.

Bute 4 Kil­mory 2

Bute made it three suc­ces­sive league wins when they beat Kil­mory 4-2 at The Mead­ows.

Craig Fisher gave the is­lan­ders the lead on three min­utes and Robert Walker made it 2- 0 on 33 min­utes.

Roberto Zava­roni, back with Bute af­ter a spell with Kyles Ath­letic, made it 3- 0 on 42 min­utes and Bute took that lead into the in­ter­val.

Roberto Zava­roni got his sec­ond on 69 min­utes and this goal seemed to fi­nally spark Kil­mory into life.

Ian Robert­son pulled a goal back a minute later and Alis­ter MacArthur made it 2- 0 on 78 min­utes.

Bute stayed in front though and the win lifts them off the bot­tom of the ta­ble.

Bal­lachul­ish 3 Glenorchy 2

Bal­lachul­ish were 3-2 win­ners against Glenorchy in a ding­dong en­counter at Ju­bilee Park.

Bal­lachul­ish got off to a great start with Alan Clack scor­ing af­ter two min­utes. The ball was played for­ward to Clark who took a touch be­fore driv­ing the ball home.

Glenorchy were awarded a penalty on 15 min­utes when ref­eree Ron­nie Camp­bell pe­nalised a chal­lenge in­side the ‘ D’ and Gra­ham Mor­rice stepped up to fire the ball into the bot­tom left cor­ner of goals.

Lorne Brown re­stored the home side’s lead five min­utes later. A long ball from the Bal­lachul­ish de­fence was con­trolled by Brown who took a touch be­fore hit­ting a shot to­wards the bot­tom cor­ner of the goals which found its way into the net.

The home side took the 2-1 ad­van­tage into the break but the hosts were re­duced to 11 play­ers af­ter the restart. The ball was played into the Bal­lachul­ish ‘D’ and keeper Don­ald Pearce came out to clear his lines but a Glenorchy for­ward got a touch first re­sult­ing in a foul and a red card for the keeper. Lorne Brown took the keeper’s jersey and Gra­ham Mor­rice stepped up to take his sec­ond penalty of the day. Mor­rice went for power but his shot went high over the bar.

Bal­lachul­ish made a short pe­riod of pres­sure count when the ball fell for Alan Clark who got his sec­ond to make it 3-1 with 58 min­utes played.

With the game now in the fi­nal quar­ter, Glenorchy won a free-hit on the edge of the Bal­lachul­ish ‘D’. The Bal­lachul­ish de­fence cleared the ball but Glenorchy con­tin­ued to pile on the pres­sure, hav­ing thrown their spare man into the for­ward line, and Kieran Gal­lacher found just enough time to send a thun­der­ous shot into the top cor­ner of the net to make it 3-2 with 17 min­utes re­main­ing.

Both teams cre­ated chances dur­ing the clos­ing stages of the game but with no fur­ther scor­ing, Bal­lachul­ish took the points to go fourth in the league.

Kyles Ath­letic 2 Col Glen 2

The Kyles Ath­letic colts and Col Glen drew 2-2 in their noon throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

Neily MacNaughton put Col Glen ahead with the only goal of the first half on 16 min­utes. A waist-high ball from mid­field found MacNaughton on the edge of the ‘D’ and he de­light­fully flicked the ball over the keeper into the net.

Conor Guidici drew Kyles level on 63 min­utes and Kyle Mc­martin put the home side in front on 71 min­utes.

A Jamie MacVicar goal on 83 min­utes earned Col Glen a point though. A ball from the wing was con­trolled by Fi­nan Kennedy and he found MacVicar who tucked the ball past the keeper into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

Col Glen stay fifth, but six­th­placed Kyles are just a point be­hind with four games in hand. Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

Lewis Ca­manachd 1 Lochaber 11

Lewis Ca­manachd’s wait for a home fix­ture is over with a strong Lochaber sec­onds vis­it­ing Shaw­bost and com­ing away with both points fol­low­ing a con­vinc­ing 11-1 vic­tory.

Keith Neville on five min­utes and Lach­lan Camp­bell on seven min­utes made it 2- 0 with Sam Lees on 10 min­utes and Ben De­laney just 60 sec­onds later mak­ing it four.

A de­but David Cleary goal on 43 min­utes made it 4-1 at the break.

Ben De­laney a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter the restart and sec­ond goals from Keith Neville and Lach­lan Camp­bell on 48 and 50 min­utes saw the Spean Bridge side pull away and Camp­bell com­pleted his hat-trick just a minute later to make it 8-1.

Young­ster Max Camp­bell on 78 min­utes and hat-trick goals from Keith Neville and Ben De­laney on 84 and 90 min­utes rounded off the 11-1 win.

Lo­vat P Bole­sk­ine P

The noon meet­ing be­tween the Lo­vat sec­ond team and Bole­sk­ine at Bal­gate was post­poned un­der un­usual cir­cum­stances.

Main­te­nance work on the Bal­gate pitch dur­ing the week in­cluded spread­ing top-soil on the sur­face. How­ever there were stones in the top soil which rested on the sur­face and ref­eree Scott Mc­Neil ruled the pitch un­playable for player safety rea­sons with the play­ers on the pitch.

This was the sec­ond time Bole­sk­ine have vis­ited Bal­gate this sea­son only for the game to be called off.

Their fix­ture on the first day of the sea­son was also a late calloff be­cause of heavy rain on the Satur­day morn­ing.

Kil­mallie P In­ver­ness P

The meet­ing be­tween the Kil­mallie and In­ver­ness sec­ond teams was post­poned fol­low­ing Dun­can Rodger’s pass­ing.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd P Strath­glass P

The match be­tween Strath­spey Ca­manachd and the Strath­glass sec­ond team at Gran­town Gram­mar School will be resched­uled.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 In­ver­aray 2 Oban Lorn 1

It took two late goals to give league lead­ers In­ver­aray re­serves a 2-1 win over sec­ond placed Oban Lorn as they met for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Satur­day, this time at The Win­ter­ton.

The sides drew 1-1 at Gana­van a week ear­lier and this was an­other tight af­fair. David Robert­son and Kenny Kirkhope were called up to the In­ver­aray first team and the ex­pe­ri­enced David MacPherson, An­drew MacMurdo, Scott Robert­son and John Smylie were all added to the young In­ver­aray squad.

Oban Lorn scored a well­worked goal through Daniel MacK­in­non on 40 min­utes af­ter the In­ver­aray de­fence failed to clear their lines.

In­ver­aray had op­por­tu­ni­ties to level but they found Brian Lo­gan in in­spired form in the Oban Lorne goal.

In­ver­aray man­ager Gra­ham MacPherson made a few tac­ti­cal changes in the sec­ond half and brought on the youth­ful, en­er­getic Coll MacKay. This sparked the In­ver­aray for­ward line and they equalised on 75 min­utes when Coll MacKay showed ex­cel­lent move­ment and made enough space to fire home.

In­ver­aray found an­other gear and, with five min­utes re­main­ing, cap­tain Al­lan Cameron launched a shot from 35 yards out which found the net and proved to be the win­ner.

In­ver­aray young­ster Camp­bell Watt played beyond his years, turn­ing in a man of the match per­for­mance.

This was a sec­ond out­ing in charge of a com­pet­i­tive match for new Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion ref­eree Gra­ham Fisher.

Stra­chur 10 Bute 0

Stra­chur put ten goals past the Bute re­serves at Stra­chur­more.

Ian MacLen­nan and An­gus Camp­bell recorded hat-tricks whilst Ian Wil­son, Steven Wil­son, Rhys Camp­bell and Alan Pater­son got the oth­ers.

Aber­dour 0 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 7

The Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll colts de­feated the Aber­dour colts 7- 0 at Sil­ver­sands.

An early Calum McLay dou­ble on four and six min­utes fol­lowed by an eleventh minute An­gus MacInnes goal gave GMA a 3- 0 cush­ion.

Calum McLay took his tally to four goals with strikes on 19 and 22 min­utes.

Andy McGhee added his name to the score­sheet, mak­ing it 6- 0 a minute be­fore the break. Calum McLay got his fifth goal of the game with the only goal of the sec­ond half five min­utes af­ter the re- start.

Up­dated Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup draw

The full Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal draw is known fol­low­ing the week­end re­plays. The draw is as fol­lows: Strath­glass v Skye Ca­manachd In­ver­aray v Oban Ca­manachd New­ton­more v Kyles Ath­letic Kil­mallie v Lo­vat The ties will take place on Satur­day July 8.

MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal pre­view

New­ton­more and Kil­mallie meet in the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal at The Bught Park, In­ver­ness, on Satur­day.

This will be a first fi­nal as cap­tain for New­ton­more’s Rory Kennedy and his side will be with­out speedy for­ward Iain Robin­son who is abroad on a school trip.

It’s been an un­prece­dented week for Kil­mallie. The re­cent deaths of club stal­wart Don­ald La­mont and top scorer Dun­can Rodger have shocked Mark MacPherson’s squad and cast a shadow over their prepa­ra­tions for the fi­nal.

Aaron San­di­son is fi­nally free of a five-match ban, but de­fender Stephen McAlis­ter’s ab­sence through sus­pen­sion is a blow. Mid­fielder Innes Black­hall will be given ev­ery chance to prove his fit­ness fol­low­ing a wrist in­jury.

Throw-up is at 4.05pm and Archie Ritchie is the match ref­eree.

If you can’t make the game, the match will be broad­cast live on BBC Alba from 4pm.

Ear­lier in the day, Skye Ca­manachd U17 and Kin­gussie U17 meet in the MacTav­ish Ju­ve­nile Cup Fi­nal.

Ruaraidh Ma­cLeod is back from in­jury for Skye whilst Kin­gussie are with­out Roddy Young and Ruar­idh An­der­son who are both on a school trip.

Throw-up is at 1pm and Brian MacKay is the match ref­eree.

WCA Round Up

The ladies shinty fo­cus was on Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion 1 on Sun­day June 4.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion 1 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 3 Lochaber 4

League lead­ers Lochaber kept their ti­tle push on track with what could yet prove to be a cru­cial 4-3 win over Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll in their 1.30pm throw-up at Yoker.

Lyn­d­say Michie, Katie Drain and Lucy McNulty all scored for GMA but a Kirsty De­laney hat-trick and a Stephanie Walsh goal gave the Spean Bridge side the win.

Lo­vat 0 Bade­noch 6

Bade­noch beat newly-pro­moted Lo­vat 6- 0 at Bal­gate. An Eilidh Ross tre­ble, Zoe Reid, Me­gan Ralph and an own goal counted for the vis­i­tors.

Aber­dour 0 Skye Ca­manachd 14

Skye Ca­manachd Ladies were too strong for Aber­dour Ladies, win­ning 14- 0 in a match which formed part of The Mead­ows Fes­ti­val in Ed­in­burgh

Lorna MacRae was Skye’s top scorer in this 1.30pm throw-up with six goals.

Sarah Cor­ri­gall net­ted four times with Caitlin MacLean grab­bing a hat-trick whilst Izzy Law got the other.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 In­ver­ness 2 Glen­garry 8

Glen­garry and In­ver­ness met at The Bught Park for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Sun­day.

And just as they did in the Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup, Glen­garry ran out win­ners, this time 8-2.

Chloe Mutch and Melissa Mackay net­ted for In­ver­ness with four-goal Mar­garet Jane Mal­colm, an Elaine Cameron hat-trick and a Leona Fal­coner goal seal­ing the win for Glen­garry.

Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup

The draw for the Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup semi-fi­nals was made by Gary Innes at Oban Live.

The semi-fi­nal draw is as fol­lows: Cowal & Bute v Glen­garry Ard­na­mur­chan v Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll

Youth round-up

Skye Ca­manachd and Kin­gussie will meet in the MacTav­ish Ju­ve­nile Cup Fi­nal at The Bught Park, In­ver­ness, on Satur­day.

Tul­loch Trophy: Na­tional Pri­mary Schools Fi­nal Taynuilt Pri­maries 5 Kin­gussie Pri­mary 0

Taynuilt Pri­maries lifted the Tul­loch Cup with a 5- 0 win over Kin­gussie Pri­mary School in their noon throw-up at The Ei­lan on Satur­day June 3.

Innes Jack­son grabbed a hat-trick whilst Matthew Sloss scored twice.

Ian Kennedy was the match ref­eree.

Artemis Ma­caulay Six-a-Sides

This year’s Ma­caulay Na­tional six-a- side com­pe­ti­tion, spon­sored by Artemis, takes place on Sun­day at Moss­field Sta­dium, Oban.

Oban Ca­manachd reached the quar­ter fi­nals of the Ca­manachd Cup af­ter a 1- 0 win over Kin­lochshiel at Taynuilt.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

High fly­ing Neale Reid of Glenurquhart goes in for a tackle with Lo­vat’s Cal­lum Cru­den.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Lo­vat’s Daniel Grieve, cen­tre, leads the charge for the ball with Glenurquhart’s Michael Fraser, left, and John Barr dur­ing last week­end’s Ca­manachd Cup re­play.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

In­ver­aray’s Al­lan MacDon­ald and George Phimis­ter of Strath­glass go for the ball dur­ing Satur­day’s Na­tional League match at Can­nich which In­ver­aray won 2-1.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Bade­noch’s Rona Ste­wart tries to block Lo­vat’s Laura Gal­lagher.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.