New Arran ferry named
THE new ferry to run between Ardrossan and Brodick on the Isle of Arran has been named MV Glen Sannox after a public vote.
The MV Glen Sannox was a landslide winner among a shortlist of four names, beating Goatfell, Glen Iorsa and Hutton, receiving nearly 50 per cent of the votes in a competition organised by Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited (CMAL).
The original MV Glen Sannox, which launched in 1957, was a car ferry built on the Clyde for the Arran route, and later served Wemyss Bay, Gourock, and Mull, before being sold for service in the Red Sea, where she ran aground at Jeddah and sank in 2000.
The new 102-metre MV Glen Sannox is the first of two dual fuel vessels being built by CMAL at the Ferguson Marine Engineering Ltd shipyard in Port Glasgow. The ferry will be capable of operating on liquefied natural gas (LNG) and marine gas oil (MGO).
Kevin Hobbs, CEO at CMAL, said: ‘ We are delighted with the public’s choice. Glen Sannox reflects Arran’s history and heritage, bringing back to life the name of the first purpose-built car ferry that serviced the Isle of Arran.
‘Thank you to everyone who took part and voted and congratulations to Mairi Brown, who won our naming competition. We look forward to welcoming her to the ferry launch later this summer.’
The vessel is expected to enter service in the second half of 2018.
A competition to name the second ferry, Hull 802, will be launched later this summer.