Un­der-16s boys se­cure dou­ble

The Oban Times - - Sport -

OBAN Saints un­der-16s trav­elled to Mill­burn Park, Alexan­dria, re­cently to take on old ri­vals Ar­den­caple for their sec­ond fi­nal in as many weeks in the 2001s League Cup fi­nal.

Af­ter the dis­ap­point­ment of the pre­vi­ous week’s last-minute goal against their older club mates, ex­pec­ta­tions were high for the 16s to put that be­hind them and give the large trav­el­ling crowd a good per­for­mance.

Un­for­tu­nately, the first half went rather dis­ap­point­ingly for all as, de­spite hav­ing the ma­jor­ity of pos­ses­sion, Saints too of­ten squan­dered chances and didn’t make the most of their op­por­tu­ni­ties.

Although never look­ing in dan­ger, the over­all per­for­mance was some­what dis­ap­point­ing for the sup­port­ers and coaches.

A frank and hon­est half-time team talk and shuf­fling of po­si­tions saw the Oban lads come out fired up and it wasn’t long be­fore top scorer Keir MacLean fired Saints into the lead.

A few min­utes later, an ex­cel­lent cross from MacLean was met by Ken­neth Black at the back post to make it 2- 0.

Saints were now play­ing at the level ex­pected by the sup­port­ers and were mov­ing the ball around more freely which nearly led to a third goal by Sol Smith.

How­ever, as the ball was head­ing across the line, sub­sti­tute Ben Smith helped it along af­ter be­ing in an off­side po­si­tion and the ‘goal’ cor­rectly chalked off.

The Oban side were soon re­warded with goal num­ber three when lively sub Moss­man beat the Ar­den­caple keeper.

With Saints on track to win their first League Cup at their third at­tempt, the coaches had the lux­ury of be­ing able to use all the play­ers in the 16-man squad.

All the play­ers now looked ea­ger to get on the ball and a fine run down the left side and cross by Black was met by Ben Smith to head home goal num­ber four.

Af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle, cap­tain Ken­neth Black was pre­sented the League Cup.

The boys were also pre­sented with the league cham­pi­onship trophy which they won a few weeks ago.

Un­for­tu­nately, the 2001s missed out on a sil­ver­ware tre­ble when they lost in the fi­nal of the Cen­tral Re­gional Cup last Sun­day, go­ing down 5-1 to the im­pres­sive Syn­genta Ju­ve­niles at Ochil­view Park. Cameron Kerr scored Saints’ goal.

Oban Saints Un­der-16s pic­tured with the League Cup and league cham­pi­onship tro­phies which were both pre­sented to the team at Mill­burn Park af­ter the League Cup fi­nal vic­tory.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.