Tenants’ concerns remain for fire safety
Sir, Comments from Alastair MacGregor, chief executive of Argyll Community Housing Association (ACHA), on fire safety in ACHA properties are, I am afraid, facile, complacent and disingenuous, to say the least. After all, wasn’t government legislation followed when Grenfell Tower was built?
My ACHA home was rewired in 2013 with, among other things, a heavy load immersion heater wired through the bathroom electric towel rail. This seems pretty idiosyncratic to me and caused me to wonder what else might be.
And that is only one of my fire safety concerns. I have lived in this house for 40 years but have never had a fire safety check.
My home and my neighbour’s are due to be clad later this year – rumours are rife that ACHA houses in Benderloch were clad in polystyrene, of all things. That may or may not be true but we do not want it [cladding] at any price.
I telephoned ACHA last year and asked to speak to the investment and regeneration manager, Iain MacLeod, to voice my concerns. He did not answer, so I left a message indicating that my neighbour and I did not want cladding under any circumstances. I left my name, address and telephone number but received no response.
Through past experience, we have found that tenants are at ACHA’s mercy, with no choice. ACHA’s choice appears to be to take no action to allay tenants’ fears.
All councils and housing associations should examine their entire housing stock for fire safety in all its aspects. Margaret MacKay, Barcaldine.