Saved from choking by superb team
Sir, Given the adverse publicity levelled at Lorn and Islands Hospital in Oban recently, I though you might welcome a letter of appreciation.
My husband, who is a survivor of oral cancer, relies on mouth swabs to clear detritus from his mouth as he had no swallowing reflex. These are small sticks with a sponge tip.
One night recently at 2.30am, he woke me to say a sponge tip had lodged in his throat and he was in danger of choking. I telephoned for an ambulance but none was available.
I therefore drove him to A&E and, as we turned in, he began to choke. However, we were seen immediately by the staff, who called a clinician who was there in less than five minutes, and removed the obstruction with dexterity – and good humour.
We are indebted to the hospital staff who undoubtedly resolved a situation which could have ended in tragedy. Susana Garland, Kilmore.