Best for shinty

The Oban Times - - FRONT PAGE -

UN­RI­VALLED shinty cov­er­age with reports and pic­tures from all the week­end’s games, as well as this week­end’s fix­tures.

KYLES Ath­letic and New­ton­more will meet in the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup Fi­nal and Stra­chur are through to face the In­ver­aray sec­onds in the Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion last Satur­day.

Artemis Ma­caulay Cup – semi-fi­nals Oban Ca­manachd 0 Kyles Ath­letic 2

Colin MacDon­ald scored twice early in the game to give Kyles Ath­letic a 2- 0 win over Oban Ca­manachd at Moss­field.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Daniel Cameron re­turned from sus­pen­sion and An­drew MacCuish was also back. Garry Lord started a two-match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

Kyles Ath­letic con­tin­ued with­out the in­jured Innes MacDon­ald and Cammy Keith, whilst Grant Irvine re­turned. Roddy MacDon­ald re­mained in de­fence, where he marked Matt Rip­pon.

Kyles took the ini­tia­tive when Colin MacDon­ald put them ahead af­ter three min­utes.

Colin MacDon­ald got his and Kyles’ sec­ond on 23 min­utes. The Tighnabru­aich men could have been fur­ther ahead by the break had it not been for Gavin Sto­b­bart’s fine goal-keep­ing.

Oban Ca­manachd had the ma­jor­ity of the sec­ond half but the clos­est they came to a goal was a Lorne Dickie shot from dis­tance which came off the in­side of the post.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Daniel MacVicar suf­fered a shoul­der in­jury which later led to his with­drawal from the Scot­land U17 squad for the shinty/ hurl­ing Ire­land tour.

Oban Ca­manachd do not have a fix­ture this com­ing Satur­day so they can watch their re­serve side Lochside Rovers in the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal against the Kin­gussie sec­onds at An Aird.

Lo­vat 0 New­ton­more 3

Three ex­tra-time goals got New­ton­more past Lo­vat in their semi-fi­nal tie at Brae­view Park.

Craig Main­land was given a start in a full-strength Lo­vat side. Man­ager Fraser Gal­lacher was on hol­i­day so his as­sis­tant Martin Bell looked af­ter the squad.

The New­ton­more team news was more in­ter­est­ing as David Ma­cLean joined Paul MacArthur and Drew MacDon­ald on the in­jury list.

Evan Men­zies missed out through sus­pen­sion fol­low­ing his send­ing off against Kyles Ath­letic a week ear­lier and Glen MacK­in­tosh’s calf prob­lem meant he was only able to take up a place on the bench. Jamie Robin­son started in at­tack, with Iain Richard­son keep­ing his place in mid­field.

The New­ton­more de­fence was on their game from the start, lim­it­ing Lo­vat to few chances.

There wasn’t a lot of goal­mouth ac­tion dur­ing the first half, al­though Lo­vat keeper Stu­art MacDon­ald made a spec­tac­u­lar div­ing save from a 20yard strike from an un­marked Fraser MacK­in­tosh.

Lo­vat re­placed Ryan Fer­gu­son, who’d been play­ing well, with Martin Main­land be­fore the hour al­though Fer­gu­son came back on in at­tack for Calum Ma­caulay later in the tie.

Glen MacK­in­tosh came off the New­ton­more bench for the fi­nal third of the 90 min­utes.

The tie got tousy at times with New­ton­more dom­i­nat­ing the clos­ing stages but, with no scor­ing, ref­eree Archie Ritchie took the tie into ex­tra-time.

Greg Mathe­son al­most caught New­ton­more keeper Nor­man Camp­bell out with a shot from the right, but the ball went just out­side the post.

The break-through came on 98 min­utes when Chris Sel­lar sent a ball from well out into the goal area.

With Jamie Robin­son and Iain Robin­son run­ning in to chal­lenge, Jamie Robin­son stretched to get the slight­est touch and the ball rolled into the net.

Lo­vat lost wing cen­tre Scott MacKen­zie on 104 with a nasty arm in­jury which re­quired a trip to hospi­tal and which was to later rule him out of the Scot­land U17 trip to Ire­land the fol­low­ing day.

From the re- start, Stu­art MacDon­ald used his hand to palm away an Iain Robin­son shot from the right, but Jamie Robin­son volleyed home the re­bound for his sec­ond goal of the game. Robin­son’s ef­fort made it 2- 0, just sec­onds from the end of the first half of ex­tra-time.

Michael Rus­sell ended any lin­ger­ing Lo­vat hopes when he won the ball in the mid­dle of the park be­fore mak­ing a surg­ing run for­ward, his 20-yard shot fly­ing low into the net to make it 3- 0.

New­ton­more’s Steven MacDon­ald, who fol­lowed Lo­vat dan­ger-man Greg Mathe­son through­out, was named the spon­sors man of the match al­though Michael Rus­sell’s per­for­mance at full cen­tre must have run him close.

The 2017 Artemis Ma­caulay Cup Fi­nal be­tween Kyles Ath­letic and New­ton­more takes place at Moss­field on Satur­day Au­gust 19.

Bul­lough Cup -

The north semi-fi­nal man of the match, New­ton­more’s Steven MacDon­ald, re­ceives his award from Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent Davie Thom­son.

semi fi­nal Kyles Ath­letic 2 Stra­chur 3

(Af­ter ex­tra-time) The Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nal tie be­tween the Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds and Stra­chur was car­ried for­ward from the pre­vi­ous week when it was post­poned be­cause the Tighnabru­aich pitch was un­playable.

Af­ter two hours of shinty, the tie pro­duced the most dra­matic fin­ish be­fore Stra­chur won a fi­nal spot.

Roberto Zava­roni gave Kyles the lead on 30 min­utes, only for An­gus Camp­bell to level on the hour mark.

With no fur­ther scor­ing, ref­eree Des Mc­Nulty took the tie into ex­tra-time.

When Ge­orge Thom­son put Kyles back in front from the penalty spot af­ter 95 min­utes, Stra­chur had it all to do.

Kyles stayed in front un­til a cou­ple of min­utes from time when an Ally Mir­lees goal seemed likely to take the tie to a penalty shoot- out.

How­ever, with just sec­onds re­main­ing, Ally Mir­lees got his sec­ond and Stra­chur will now play the In­ver­aray sec­onds in the Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal with the venue yet to be de­cided.

Marine Harvest Pre­mier­ship Kil­mallie 0 Kin­lochshiel 3

With Kyles Ath­letic in cup ac­tion, Kin­lochshiel edged a point clear at the top of the Marine Harvest Pre­mier­ship af­ter they beat Kil­mallie 3- 0 at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie’s Peter Carmichael was un­avail­able and he will miss this com­ing week’s visit from cham­pi­ons New­ton­more through sus­pen­sion.

Stephen McAlis­ter suf­fered an in­jury in train­ing, whilst Steven Ste­wart was out with a knee prob­lem.

Kin­lochshiel’s Colin Mac­Di­armid served the fourth match of a five-game sus­pen­sion and Oliver MacRae and Gordie MacDon­ald re­mained on the in­jury list. Ally Nixon re­turned to the squad.

Scott Ma­cLean put Kin­lochshiel ahead af­ter 39 min­utes with the only goal of the first half. Dun­can ‘DA’ MacRae made it 2- 0 on 53 min­utes and when ref­eree Robert Bax­ter awarded the visi­tors a penalty on 62 min­utes, Keith MacRae stepped up to score.

Kyles drop to third, two points be­hind Kin­lochshiel, but they have a game in hand with the sides due to meet at Kirk­ton this Satur­day.

Kin­gussie 3 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0

Kin­gussie broke Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s re­sis­tance in the sec­ond half to win 3- 0 at The Dell.

Kin­gussie called John Gib­son up from the sec­ond team whilst GMA full-back Ryan Har­ri­son re­turned. Dun­can ‘ Ach’ MacRae was still out.

Af­ter a goal-less first half, Ruar­idh An­der­son fired Kin­gussie ahead three min­utes af­ter the re- start.

Ruar­idh An­der­son got his and Kin­gussie’s sec­ond on 52 min­utes and Lee Bain sealed the win when he scored nine min­utes from time.

Lochaber 3 Glenurquhart 1

Lochaber climbed out of the rel­e­ga­tion zone fol­low­ing their 3-1 vic­tory over Glenurquhart at Spean Bridge.

Glenurquhart’s Ally MacK­in­tosh was banned for a book­ings points ac­cu­mu­la­tion.

Shaun Ni­col­son gave Lochaber the lead with the only goal of the first half af­ter 22 min­utes.

James MacPher­son equalised on 62 min­utes, but the visi­tors only stayed on level for 60 sec­onds as Stu­art Cal­li­son fired Lochaber back in front.

Ryan John­stone sealed the win seven min­utes from time to leave Lochaber two points ahead of Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll and Kil­mallie, al­though the Spean Bridge side have played more games.

Glenurquhart are now only a point bet­ter off than Lochaber with the same num­ber of games played.

Marine Harvest Na­tional Divi­sion Caber­feidh 1 Fort Wil­liam 0

Caber­feidh and Fort Wil­liam met for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Satur­day, this time in the league at Cas­tle Leod.

Fort Wil­liam won the Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal en­counter but Caber­feidh took the points in this one, win­ning 1- 0.

Caber­feidh’s Ryan MacKay served the fi­nal game of his ban but Ryan Si­monds re­turned at full back.

Fort Wil­liam’s Bryan Simp­son re­mained in­jured but Alexan­der MacMil­lan made a sub­sti­tute ap­pear­ance.

Mark Grant and Bobby MacMil­lan were miss­ing. Mark Grant and Gra­ham Camp­bell were both booked in the Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal mean­ing they will both miss Fort Wil­liam’s next match.

The game’s defin­ing mo­ment came af­ter three min­utes. A Caber­feidh shy was played up the right and Craig Morrison, who grabbed a hat-trick in the pre­vi­ous week’s cup de­feat, crashed an 18-yard shot into the roof of the net. Both keep­ers made good saves and there was no fur­ther scor­ing. Fort Wil­liam will be con­cerned about a knee in­jury suf­fered by Sea­mus Gall.

The win keeps Caber­feidh a point clear at the top of the table ahead of a tricky trip to Gana­van to play Oban Celtic this Satur­day.

In­ver­aray 0 Skye Ca­manachd 4

Skye Ca­manachd re­turned from The Win­ter­ton with two im­pres­sive points fol­low­ing a 4- 0 win over In­ver­aray.

In­ver­aray for­ward Al­lan MacDon­ald started a two-game sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old, whilst Ally MacDon­ald was miss­ing.

Skye de­fender Ally MacDon­ald missed his first match in four years as he at­tended a wed­ding. Gil­leas­buig MacDon­ald and Calum Gibb were un­avail­able and Kenny Ma­cLeod re­turned to look af­ter the Skye sec­onds. John Gil­lies was on hol­i­day and Steven Morrison’s sea­son looks to be over through in­jury.

There were places for Daniel Morrison and Scot­land U17 player Con­nor Gilpin, who made his first start for the se­nior side in de­fence.

James Pringle re­acted first to give Skye the lead on 14 min­utes when he slammed a re-bound low into the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net af­ter In­ver­aray keeper Scott MacLach­lan had saved from Will Cowie.

Iain Ni­col­son made it 2- 0 a minute later when he struck the ball from 35 yards out, wide on the right touch­line, and it went into the net off the post.

A lovely Jor­dan Murchi­son pass set up Danny Morrison on 64 min­utes and Morrison net­ted with a low drive from 15 yards out.

Jor­dan Murchi­son got in on the act on 67 min­utes when a clever flick from Will Cowie played him in and he sent a waist-high rocket-shot past the on-rush­ing keeper.

It was a good Skye team per­for­mance and they re­main a point be­hind lead­ers Caber­feidh but with a game in hand.

Strath­glass 1 Oban Celtic 2

Oban Celtic came from a goal down to beat Strath­glass 2-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Can­nich.

Lewis Dou­glas was free of sus­pen­sion for the hosts but de­fender Ge­orge Phimis­ter be­gan a two-game sus­pen­sion af­ter he was sent off against Beauly the pre­vi­ous week. Michael Stokes and Dar­ren Reid both re­turned to the start­ing line-up.

Oban trav­elled with­out goal­keeper Stephen David­son, Rory Bruce, Con­nor Howe, Michael MacKin­non and Iain MacK­ech­nie. David MacInnes and Andy MacDon­ald were both back.

Strath­glass put Celtic un­der pres­sure from the off and visi­tors’ game plan was thrown out the win­dow in­side the first 10 min­utes when they lost winger Andy Hunt to in­jury. It was later re­vealed he had suf­fered two bro­ken ribs.

A fur­ther blow fol­lowed on 16 min­utes when Strath­glass took the lead through Josh Fraser.

Grad­u­ally the Oban Celtic cen­tre line of Ally McKer­racher, Robert Alexan­der and sub­sti­tute Ge­orge MacMil­lian started to pull the strings.

Celtic cre­ated chances and got their re­ward when Ross MacMil­lan’s shot on the turn gave home keeper Ally MacA­dams no chance to make it 1-1 with 22 min­utes on the clock.

Celtic ap­pealed for a penalty on 33 min­utes, claim­ing a home de­fender had kicked the ball in­side the ‘D’.

The Oban side took the lead on 38 min­utes when Ge­orge MacMil­lan and Daniel MacMil­lan com­bined down the left to give Daniel Madej a chance and he fired the ball low into the net to make it 2-1 at the break.

Both teams went for it from the start of the sec­ond half. The Celtic de­fence of Andy MacDon­ald, Ful­ton Ron­ald, Lewis MacPhee and David MacInnes stood strong and stand-in keeper Jack Hill mopped up when called upon.

As Celtic pushed for the third goal, Strath­glass keeper Ally MacA­dams made sev­eral good stops with his body, stick and feet.

In the end, Oban Celtic took the points and now find them­selves just a cou­ple of points off third spot in a very com­pet­i­tive Na­tional Divi­sion.

Marine Harvest North Divi­sion 1 New­ton­more 4 Skye Ca­manachd 1

League lead­ers New­ton­more re­serves beat third-placed Skye Ca­manachd re­serves 4-1 at The Ei­lan.

New­ton­more’s Cameron Bin­nie served a one-game ban fol­low­ing his send­ing off in the pre­vi­ous week’s Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nal win over Glen­garry. Cameron McNiven grabbed a hat-trick in that game but col­lected a book­ing which meant al­though he was free to play this week­end; he will miss this com­ing week­end’s home league match with the Beauly sec­onds through sus­pen­sion.

New­ton­more were able to in­clude Danny Macrae fol­low­ing a failed come­back at­tempt ear­lier in the sea­son.

Skye lost out to Kin­gussie in the other Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nal a week ear­lier and player/man­ager Kenny Ma­cLeod made three changes to his squad as Con­nor Gilpin and Daniel Morrison were with the first team, whilst DJ Gilpin was un­avail­able so Ian MacPher­son and Ste­wart Taylor were called up.

A Danny Macrae goal on 13 min­utes put the hosts ahead and Macrae made it 2- 0 on 38 min­utes.

Ross Gor­don pulled a goal back three min­utes later but Danny Macrae went on to com­plete his hat-trick a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter the re-start.

Calum Ste­wart made it 4-1 on 77 min­utes.

Kin­lochshiel 0 Kin­gussie 4

The Kin­gussie sec­onds scored four times in the first half to beat the Kin­lochshiel sec­onds 4- 0 in their 1pm throw-up at Kirk­ton.

The early throw-up al­lowed the Kin­gussie squad to make an ear­lier jour­ney home to at­tend player Ricky Grant’s wed­ding.

Kin­gussie, play­ing up the hill, took the lead on 23 min­utes when Rory Fraser made a prob­ing run for­ward from mid­field and re­leased the ball to his right where Dy­lan Borth­wick fired it across keeper Ray­mond Gil­lies and into the net.

The home side re­sponded and Kin­gussie keeper Robert Shiells did well to use his ca­man to turn away a Gra­ham Kennedy strike.

A ball into the mid­dle on 29 min­utes de­flected down off Neil Fraser’s stick to Kevin Thain. The home de­fence looked as if they were go­ing to deal with the dan­ger but Liam Borth­wick took the chance thump the ball home to make it 2- 0.

It was all Kin­gussie now and keeper Gil­lies saved well to deny Kevin Thain a goal.

Kin­gussie ex­tended their lead on 32 min­utes with the goal of the match. Kevin Thain played a mea­sured pass to Dy­lan Borth­wick on his left. Borth­wick al­lowed the ball to run across him be­fore blast­ing it through the keeper’s legs to make it 3- 0.

Dy­lan Borth­wick com­pleted his hat-trick on 43 min­utes. When the ball dropped for him in a cen­tral po­si­tion, he showed

no hes­i­ta­tion in smash­ing it into the net.

On 54 min­utes, Ro­nan Taylor sent a high ball for­ward which was chested down by Gra­ham Kennedy who, with his back to goal, turned to his left but shot wide of the post.

Robert Shiells saved with his legs from WD MacRae as the hosts came more into it and they had the chance to pull a goal back on 57 min­utes. Al­lan Mac­Di­armid played the ball into the goal area where ref­eree Ross Brown spot­ted an in­fringe­ment and pointed to the spot. Neil Fraser came for­ward to take it but Robert Shiells stretched his ca­man high to his right to turn the ball away for a cor­ner.

Kevin Thain then re­leased James Fal­coner but Ray­mond Gil­lies made an­other su­perb save and did like­wise soon af­ter to deny Liam Borth­wick.

The win lifts Kin­gussie into sec­ond place in the divi­sion.

Fort Wil­liam 6 Glenurquhart 1

The Fort Wil­liam colts and beat the Glenurquhart colts 6-1 at An Aird.

Fort Wil­liam fielded Bobby MacMil­lan and Niall MacPhee whilst Glenurquhart in­cluded Glenurquhart ladies’ play­ers Hazel Hunter and Ish­bel Barr.

Fort Wil­liam took con­trol of the match with three goals late in the first half. Mark Fraser opened the scor­ing be­fore Bobby MacMil­lan and Scott Hen­der­son made it 3- 0.

Glenurquhart went on to have their best spell in the match be­fore Mark Fraser got his sec­ond to make it 4- 0.

Bobby MacMil­lan made it 5- 0 be­fore Cal­lum Miller pulled a goal back.

Mark Fraser com­pleted his hat-trick to make the fi­nal score 6-1.

Marine Harvest South Divi­sion 1 Lochside Rovers 2 Bute 2

A last minute Michael MacQueen penalty earned Lochside Rovers a 2-2 draw against Bute in their 1pm throw-up at Gana­van.

Bute kindly agreed to Lochside’s re­quest for an ear­lier throw-up so that the Oban play­ers could dash to Moss­field af­ter­wards to watch their se­nior team in Artemis Ma­caulay Cup semi-fi­nal ac­tion against Kyles Ath­letic.

Bute went in front on six min­utes when Craig Fisher’s strike from dis­tance took a bounce in front of goal and ball kicked up over Lochside keeper Cameron Suther­land’s shoul­der and into the net.

Michael MacQueen equalised on 15 min­utes when, fol­low­ing a cor­ner, he pro­duced a good fin­ish, strik­ing the ball from an an­gle high into the net, just in­side the post. Bute re­gained the lead on 27 min­utes when a long-range ef­fort was palmed away by Cameron Suther­land, but Robert Walker was first onto the re­bound to score.

Lochside gave a bet­ter ac­count of them­selves in the sec­ond half but they strug­gled to find a lev­eller de­spite their in­creased pos­ses­sion.

The hosts pushed Steven Sloss into at­tack which paid off at the death when Sloss spun his marker and ran in on goal but was tripped at the edge of the ‘D’. Bute claimed the foul took place just out­side the box but ref­eree Euan Pearson pointed to the spot. Michael MacQueen kept his cool, beat­ing keeper Kevin Queen with a low strike al­though the Bute cus­to­dian got a foot to the ball. It was the last hit of the game.

A draw was prob­a­bly a fair re­sult. It wasn’t one of Lochside’s bet­ter per­for­mances this sea­son and per­haps some of their play­ers had one eye on this Satur­day’s Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal against the Kin­gussie sec­onds at An Aird.

Kil­mory 10 Tay­forth 0

Kil­mory were too strong for Tay­forth, win­ning 10- 0 at MacRae Park.

Hal Jones net­ted af­ter two and three min­utes to get Kil­mory off to a great start.

Alex Cun­ning­ham went on to get a first half hat-trick with goals on 10, 20 and 22 min­utes.

Andy Cun­ning­ham on 30 min­utes, a hat-trick goal from Hal Jones a cou­ple of min­utes later and Alister MacArthur on 42 min­utes, made it 8- 0 at half time.

Alex Cun­ning­ham went on to take his tally to five goals with strikes on 55 and 74 min­utes.

Kil­mory go fifth, one of five teams on seven points.

Marine Harvest North Divi­sion 2 Glen­garry 8 Kil­mallie 1

Af­ter los­ing two suc­ces­sive matches by the odd goal in nine, league lead­ers Glen­garry re­turned to win­ning ways by beat­ing the Kil­mallie sec­ond team 8-1 at The Craigard.

Steven Cameron opened the scor­ing on 14 min­utes and Daniel MacLen­nan on 15 and 17 min­utes made it 3- 0. Steven Cameron got his sec­ond to make it 4- 0 on the half hour mark.

Ray­mond Robert­son added his name to the score-sheet a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val to

Lochcar­ron 6 Bole­sk­ine 1 Strath­glass 0 Lochaber 7 Lo­vat 5 In­ver­ness 0

make it 5- 0.

Kyle MacKin­non notched a sixth 10 min­utes into the sec­ond pe­riod and al­though Kil­mallie’s Dean Wil­liamson pulled a goal back a cou­ple of min­utes later, Daniel MacLen­nan com­pleted his hat-trick on 67 min­utes and Kyle MacKin­non got his sec­ond to make it 8-1 seven min­utes from time. Lochcar­ron beat Bole­sk­ine 6-1 at Bat­tery Park.

Lochcar­ron full cen­tre Liam Arnott, who had only hours ear­lier re­turned from abroad, set up Lance MacCuish to score on four min­utes. Peter MacKen­zie added a sec­ond on six min­utes to give the home side an early cush­ion.

David Bauer­meis­ter net­ted on 22 and 36 min­utes to make it 4- 0

Liam Tin­ney pulled a goal back a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the break but An­drew Ford made it 5-1 on 63 min­utes and Lance MacCuish got his sec­ond a minute later, with Liam Arnott again the provider to round off the 6-1 win. The Lochaber sec­onds over­came the Strath­glass sec­onds 7- 0 in their noon throw-up at Can­nich.

Keith Neville and Har­vey Al­li­son both bagged braces whilst James MacRae, Danny De­laney and Keir John­stone got the oth­ers. The Lo­vat colts made it four wins on the bounce when they over­came the In­ver­ness colts 5- 0 in their noon throw-up at Bal­gate.

In­ver­ness agreed to the ear­lier throw-up time to al­low the Lo­vat play­ers and sup­port to head for Brae­view Park to watch their se­nior side face New­ton­more in the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup semi-fi­nals later in the af­ter­noon.

Lo­vat’s James Fraser was handed a two-game sus­pen­sion af­ter his red card in the win over Bole­sk­ine seven days ear­lier.

Brother and sis­ter Chris John­ston for Lo­vat and Han­nah John­ston for In­ver­ness were in di­rect op­po­si­tion through­out the match.

Ray­mond Ren­nie was quickly onto a loose ball to score on six min­utes af­ter In­ver­ness keeper Ken­neth Loades had saved from Dun­can Urquhart.

Dun­can Urquhart turned scorer on 29 min­utes when he won pos­ses­sion and held off a chal­lenge be­fore send­ing a 25 yard drive into the roof of the net.

Urquhart seemed to hurt him­self in the process and he limped off the pitch to be re­placed. In­ver­ness had a rea­son­able amount of pos­ses­sion but were un­able to cre­ate many chances.

The visi­tors had the chance to pull a goal back on 51 min­utes when ref­eree John Mathe­son awarded them a penalty. Home goalie Ro­nan MacMil­lan made a good save though with his foot from Andy Reid’s spot-hit.

Lo­vat ex­tended their lead on 54 min­utes. Cameron MacMil­lan got on the end of Chris John­ston’s cross and, from around the penalty spot, MacMil­lan took the ball first-time, send­ing it into the net with a neat fin­ish.

Ray­mond Ren­nie got his sec­ond on 67 min­utes, trap­ping the ball be­fore send­ing it low into the net from 15 yards.

Cameron MacMil­lan got his sec­ond on 78 min­utes, strik­ing the ball first time on his back­hand for an­other good fin­ish.

Ray­mond Ren­nie was de­nied a hat-trick when he fired a crack­ing 35-yard shot home but the ef­fort was ruled out as one of the Lo­vat for­wards was off­side.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd P Caber­feidh P

The 1.30pm throw-up be­tween Strath­spey Ca­manachd and the Caber­feidh sec­ond team at Gran­town Gram­mar School will be re-sched­uled for a later date.

Marine Harvest South Divi­sion 2 Aber­dour 0 In­ver­aray 5

The In­ver­aray sec­ond team took an­other step to­wards the Marine South Divi­sion 2 ti­tle when they de­feated the Aber­dour sec­onds 0-5 at Sil­ver­sands.

In­ver­aray made two changes to their squad with Scott Robert­son and An­drew McMurdo miss­ing. Young An­drew Fraser started at half back and Rus­sell McKin­lay started his first match of the sea­son.

Aber­dour made the brighter start, ask­ing ques­tions of the young In­ver­aray de­fence.

How­ever, it didn’t take In­ver­aray long to find their way and when ref­eree Calum Gir­van spot­ted a ‘kick’ in­side the Aber­dour ‘D’, Rus­sell McKin­lay stepped up to score.

In­ver­aray dou­bled their lead within 20 sec­onds of the re-start as David Robert­son and MacKin­lay showed great for­ward skills with McKin­lay fin­ish­ing what was the goal of the game.

Young Camp­bell Watt saw an ef­fort come back off the cross­bar be­fore Rus­sell McKin­lay com­pleted his hat-trick to make it 3- 0 at the break.

Rus­sell McKin­lay – his fourth goal of the game – and David Robert­son added two more goals in the sec­ond half to make it 6- 0.

Aber­dour’s An­drew Fraser had his hands full mark­ing Rus­sell McKin­lay, whilst visit­ing wing cen­tres John MacKen­zie and Kenny Kirkhope more than played their part, turn­ing in their best per­for­mances of the sea­son.

Dunoon Ca­manachd P Oban Lorn P

The 1.30pm throw-up be­tween Dunoon Ca­manachd and Oban Lorn was post­poned as the Dunoon Sta­dium was un­avail­able.

The match will be re-sched­uled for a later date.

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup fi­nal - pre­view

The Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal be­tween Lochside Rovers and the Kin­gussie sec­onds takes place at An Aird on Satur­day.

Lochside Rovers have been rid­ing high in Marine Harvest South Divi­sion 1 this sea­son. Lewis Buchanan and Craig MacDougall have pro­vided the goals, with half backs Craig Eas­ton and Daniel Sloss – both U17 play­ers – shin­ing at the other end of the pitch.

Kin­gussie’s James Fal­coner has been a key player and Kin­gussie have the op­tion of in­clud­ing U17 play­ers Roddy Young, Ruar­idh An­der­son and Alexan­der Michie. The trio have mainly been with the first team squad this sea­son but are el­i­gi­ble to play be­cause they are un­der 17 and they fea­tured in the semi-fi­nal win over the New­ton­more sec­onds. Lochside could sim­i­larly use Daniel MacCuish.

Both teams have had to work hard to reach the fi­nal.

Lochside Rovers beat the Beauly sec­ond team 2- 0 at Brae­view Park in their open­ing round tie. They took the lead mid­way through the first half through Craig MacDougall. Lewis Buchanan added a sec­ond be­fore the break. Beauly came more into the game in the sec­ond half but Lochside fin­ished de­served win­ners.

In the sec­ond round, Lochside were 2- 0 win­ners against the Kyles Ath­letic sec­ond team at Tighnabru­aich. Michael MacQueen gave the Oban side the lead with a 25-yard shot into top cor­ner of the net. Keith Bur­nett added a sec­ond cour­tesy of a lovely as­sist from Michael MacQueen that left Bur­nett one- on- one with keeper.

A 7- 0 tri­umph over the Bute sec­onds 7- 0 at The Mead­ows took Lochside into the semi-fi­nals. Lewis Buchanan scored four times with Craig MacDougall bag­ging a brace. Iain MacMil­lan got the other.

Lochside Rovers reached the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal with a 5- 0 win over the Glenurquhart sec­ond team at The Ju­bilee Park. Lewis Buchanan, 2, Craig MacMil­lan, Michael MacQueen and Iain MacMil­lan were all on tar­get. The lat­ter was the goal of the game as he went on a run from around the half-way line, turn­ing a de­fender be­fore strik­ing home from around 30 yards.

Kin­gussie opened the com­pe­ti­tion with a 1- 0 win over the Skye Ca­manachd colts at The Dell. Liam Borth­wick scored the goal that made the dif­fer­ence, with his ef­fort com­ing on the half hour mark.

Next up was a 7- 0 win over the Aber­dour colts at Sil­ver­sands. Dy­lan Borth­wick scored twice whilst Daniel Don­ald, an Alis­tair Ab­bott own goal, Kevin Thain, Liam Borth­wick and Owen Reid all found the net.

Kin­gussie reached the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup semi-fi­nals when they beat the Fort Wil­liam colts 3-2 at An Aird. Goals from Fort Wil­liam’s Ewan Camp­bell and Mark Fraser and Kin­gussie’s Kevin Thain meant the home side led 2-1 at the break. Kevin Thain scored twice more in the sec­ond half to com­plete his hat-trick and give Kin­gussie a 3-2 win.

The Kin­gussie colts came out on top, win­ning this semi-fi­nal 6- 4 against Bade­noch ri­vals and cup hold­ers New­ton­more colts at The Dell. New­ton­more gained an early ad­van­tage through Chris Sel­lar and John MacKen­zie. Kin­gussie stormed back though and scored the game’s next six goals. Ruar­idh An­der­son and Dy­lan Borth­wick lev­elled the tie be­fore Roddy Young fired home to put the hosts 3-2 up at the break. The same three Kin­gussie play­ers scored again in the sec­ond half to make it 6-2. A sec­ond from Chris Sel­lar and an Evan Men­zies goal on made it 6- 4 but Newtonore had left them­selves too much to do.

2016 beaten fi­nal­ists Kin­gussie warmed up for the fi­nal with a 4- 0 win over their Kin­lochshiel counter-parts. Af­ter the match, man­ager Ally Ma­cLeod said: ‘ We’ve worked hard to get to the Suther­land Cup Fi­nal and we’ve had to beat some good teams along the way. We’re build­ing a side for the fu­ture here and it’s pleas­ing to see just how much the play­ers have come on since last year. Lochside will be dif­fi­cult op­po­nents. They’ve been go­ing well in the south and, like our­selves, have a num­ber of re­ally good young play­ers. It should be a great fi­nal.’

Speak­ing af­ter the draw with Bute, Lochside Rovers man­ager Gareth Evans said: ‘ We have a few in­juries to as­sess so we won’t de­cide on our start­ing line-up un­til later in the week. Both sides will be able to call on U17 play­ers who are usu­ally with the first team – the likes of Roddy Young and Ruar­idh An­der­son at Kin­gussie and our own Daniel MacCuish. I don’t think there’s any­thing wrong. with that, in fact I think it’s a good thing the youths are still able to play in their sec­ond team’s cup com­pe­ti­tions. That’s why the rules al­low it. I saw the match be­tween our U17s and the Kin­gussie U17s at Moss­field ear­lier in the sea­son and it was an ex­cel­lent game and many of the same play­ers from both clubs will be on show in the fi­nal. So we’ll have two fit, young teams lin­ing up on an An Aird pitch that will suit both sides for what I’m sure will be a great game of shinty.’

The 2017 Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal be­tween Lochside Rovers and Kin­gussie at An Aird throws-up at 2.30pm. Iain Kennedy is the match ref­eree.

Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal venue

WITH the Kin­gussie and New­ton­more sec­ond teams both win­ning through to the Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal, the clubs opted to de­cide the fi­nal venue by the toss of a coin to en­sure a large lo­cal sup­port.

The coin toss, car­ried out by Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion Pres­i­dent Jim Barr, took placed at the Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion Of­fices on Fri­day July 21. New­ton­more won the toss so the Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal will take place at The Ei­lan on Satur­day Au­gust 12.

Pho­to­graph: Kevin McG­lynn.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Lorne Dickie feels the full brunt of this chal­lenge from Kyles Ath­letic’s Rob­bie Ma­cLeod dur­ing the south semi-fi­nal of the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup at Moss­field Sta­dium last Satur­day. The Tighnabru­aich side ran out 2- 0 win­ners.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

New­ton­more’s Andy Mack­in­tosh and Lo­vat’s Lorne Mackay go head-to-head in a chal­lenge for the ball.

The south semi-fi­nal man of the match, Oban Ca­manachd’s Gavin Sto­b­bart, re­ceives his award from David Hamil­ton, sec­re­tary of the Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion.

Pho­to­graph: Iain Fer­gu­son, The Write Im­age.

Lochaber’s Neil MacDon­ald has an ac­ci­den­tal clash with Glenurquhart goal­keeper Ste­wart MacK­in­tosh dur­ing their pre­mier­ship match last week­end.

Pho­to­graph: Iain Fer­gu­son, The Write Im­age.

Kil­mallie’s Michael Rodger and Kin­lochshiel’s Fin­lay McCrae bat­tle it out for pos­ses­sion dur­ing last Satur­day’s Marine Harvest Pre­mier­ship match.

Photo: Stephen Law­son

Skye’s Will Cowie and In­ver­aray’s Gary MacPher­son in ac­tion dur­ing last week­end’s Na­tional Divi­sion match at the Win­ter­ton.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.