Plan­ning Per­mis­sion

The Oban Times - - SELF BUILD & RENOVATION -

If there is not al­ready de­tailed plan­ning per­mis­sion for your home for the plot of land you are buy­ing, you will need to se­cure this be­fore you can start build­ing as the plan­ning author­ity (your lo­cal coun­cil or na­tional park author­ity) will need to be sat­is­fied that your plans for your home are in line with the Coun­cil’s De­vel­op­ment Plan(s) and that your home’s de­sign will be ac­cept­able in terms of its im­pact on the sur­round­ing homes and land­scape. Don’t pay for land be­fore it has plan­ning per­mis­sion- don’t sign a con­tract or in­clude a clause that it will be void if the prop­erty fails to get per­mis­sion.

You should try to get plan­ning per­mis­sion as early as pos­si­ble, as the process can take some time. Try to speak to a plan­ning of­fi­cer at the rel­e­vant coun­cil be­fore sub­mit­ting your ap­pli­ca­tion as they should be able to let you know if there are any is­sues you should be aware of or any restric­tions they might im­pose (for ex­am­ple they might re­strict the size or height of the home, its dis­tance from a road or the plot bound­ary, etc.).

The coun­cil should also be able to help if you need ad­vice or guid­ance on com­plet­ing a plan­ning ap­pli­ca­tion. There will be a fee for sub­mit­ting an ap­pli­ca­tion. The plan­ning author­ity will no­tify any neigh­bours, but if your plot has no im­me­di­ate neigh­bours, there is also cur­rently an ad­di­tional charge to ad­ver­tise your plan­ning ap­pli­ca­tion in the lo­cal news­pa­per(s) so that any other res­i­dents who may wish to com­ment have an op­por­tu­nity to do so.

Your ar­chi­tect can help or you may choose to em­ploy a spe­cial­ist plan­ning con­sul­tant. A list of plan­ning con­sul­tants op­er­at­ing in Scot­land is avail­able on the Royal Town Plan­ning In­sti­tute web­site at

In ad­di­tion to plan­ning per­mis­sion, you will also need to ap­ply for a build­ing war­rant be­fore you can start build­ing work on your home.

You can con­tact your coun­cil’s Build­ing Stan­dards Depart­ment for more in­for­ma­tion on how to ap­ply The Scot­tish Gov­ern­ment’s Build­ing Stan­dards web­site at gov. scot/bsd pro­vides links to the build­ing reg­u­la­tions. If you are not fa­mil­iar with the build­ing reg­u­la­tions, you can get your ar­chi­tect or other de­sign pro­fes­sional to help you with pre­par­ing your war­rant ap­pli­ca­tion as well as pro­vid­ing draw­ings of your plan. Nor­mally your home must be com­pleted within three years of you re­ceiv­ing your build­ing war­rant, al­though you can ap­ply to ex­tend this dead­line (you need to pay an ex­tra fee for this though).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.