The know-how

The Oban Times - - SELF BUILD & RENOVATION -

If you’re build­ing a new home, you will need to ar­range for it to be con­nected to the stan­dard util­ity ser­vices. Your plot of land may or may not al­ready have ac­cess to the mains wa­ter sys­tem, the sewage sys­tem, elec­tric­ity, gas (if needed) and broad­band internet. If the site isn’t al­ready fully con­nected to these ser­vices, you will have to ar­range this. It’s worth con­tact­ing Scot­tish Wa­ter and the power com­pany you want to use early on, to make sure they can con­nect you when needed. You may think you can ar­range to have these ser­vices con­nected once you move into your new home, but re­mem­ber your builders will also need to use the ser­vices to build your house. As a pri­or­ity, try to ar­range to have the wa­ter mains drainage and elec­tric­ity sup­ply con­nected as soon as pos­si­ble. The builders will need ac­cess to wa­ter from the early stages of build­ing,

and will need elec­tric­ity in later stages. If this isn’t pos­si­ble, try to ar­range some­thing tem­po­rary like an elec­tric­ity gen­er­a­tor, a wa­ter stand­pipe, or per­mis­sion from neigh­bours to use their out­door tap. If your plot is in a ru­ral area there may be prob­lems con­nect­ing you, es­pe­cially if it’s far from other homes or on a hill. De­pend­ing on how re­motely you’re liv­ing it might cost you a lot of money to get con­nected, so check with power com­pa­nies be­fore you com­mit to buy­ing a plot. Cour­tesy of my­gov.scot.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.