Nar­row de­feat for Oban Lorne

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

OBAN Lorne took on midtable East Kil­bride RFC at Glen­cruit­ten on Saturday as the home side looked to build on last week­end’s 28-12 win against bot­tom of the league Irvine RFC.


The Green Ma­chine have been strug­gling for a con­sis­tent team this sea­son but have ral­lied over the past cou­ple of weeks to gather a more set­tled and con­sis­tent squad.

Front row op­tions still pose a prob­lem for Oban with Liam Burns and Tommy Suther­land miss­ing for this game. Prop Dar­ren Miller started his first game of the sea­son while Cammy Smith also started after his try-scor­ing ap­pear­ance last week­end. There was also a re­turn in the back­line for pow­er­ful cen­tre Cal­lum MacLach­lan.

Saturday’s match was a phys­i­cal af­fair with both for­ward packs can­celling each other out at the break­down. Oban failed to cre­ate any rhythm to their game with a mis­fir­ing li­ne­out and a strug­gling scrum deny­ing them any con­stant pos­ses­sion.


De­spite strug­gling at the set piece, Oban led the first half 3-0 with a Fin­lay Carmichael penalty. The hosts’ de­fen­sive shape was also hold­ing well after a bar­rage of at­tacks from a big EK pack.

Oban started to tire in the sec­ond pe­riod as the visitors hit back with a penalty to tie the score at 3-3.

The game could have gone ei­ther way at this point with EK dom­i­nat­ing ter­ri­tory and pos­ses­sion but Oban look­ing dan­ger­ous on the counter with a cou­ple of promis­ing breaks.

A se­ries of pow­er­ful plays from the visitors re­sulted in the first try of the day with 15 min­utes to go giv­ing Oban a 10-3 deficit to re­cover from going into the clos­ing stages.

The East Kil­bride try seemed to waken the men in green as they dom­i­nated the re­main­ing stages of the game. A Carmichael penalty with 10 min­utes to go sailed nar­rowly wide be­fore Oban started a bar­rage of at­tacks on the try­line.


Oban looked to score on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions with pow­er­ful runs from the likes of Con­nor Fer­ris, Jack Strachan and Cor­rie Louw. The away de­fence held firm but started to be­come ill-dis­ci­plined and lost a player to the sin bin with a few min­utes re­main­ing. Oban pushed and pushed for a try which even­tu­ally came on the last play of the game with prop Con­nor Fer­ris forc­ing him­self over the line.

Un­for­tu­nately, the con­ver­sion at­tempt was nar­rowly missed, mean­ing the visitors took the spoils 10-8 in what was a very phys­i­cal en­counter.

The Oban per­for­mance met the stan­dards ex­pected from the side over the few years show­ing that huge im­prove­ments have been made over the past few weeks after a cou­ple of heavy de­feats.

This Saturday Oban make the long trip to face fel­low league strug­glers Ste­wartry RFC in Cas­tle Dou­glas in what could prove to be a sea­son defin­ing game.

Home game

Oban Lorne’s next home fix­ture is against league new com­ers Greenock Wan­der­ers RFC on Saturday Oc­to­ber 21.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.