Red and blacks pay the penalty as Kin­gussie win Lon­don Shield

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

CABERFEIDH were pro­moted to the Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship, Bute go third in Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 and Kin­gussie U17 lifted the Lon­don Shield fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day Novem­ber 4, 2017.

Lon­don Shield fi­nal Kin­gussie U17 4 Oban Ca­manachd U17 4

(Kin­gussie won 1-0 on penal­ties af­ter ex­tra time) Kin­gussie U17 won the Lon­don Shield af­ter even­tu­ally edg­ing out Oban Ca­manachd U17 on penal­ties fol­low­ing their 4-4 draw in what was a thrilling en­counter at The Dell.

The fi­nal was orig­i­nally sched­uled for Craigard, In­ver­garry, but it was ruled un­playable so, on the toss of a coin, the venue was switched to Kin­gussie’s The Dell rather than Oban Ca­manachd’s Moss­field.

Both teams were able to field play­ers with Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship ex­pe­ri­ence, with Ruar­idh An­der­son, Roddy Young and Alexan­der Michie in Kin­gussie colours, while Daniel MacCuish, Daniel Sloss, Lewis Buchanan and Craig Eas­ton have all played for Oban Ca­manachd this sea­son.

The Oban side were dealt a blow in the lead up to the fi­nal, with Craig MacMil­lan and Rob­bie Brown both un­avail­able. Ross Camp­bell and Blair MacFar­lane were given start­ing roles in their place.

This was Oban Ca­manachd’s third suc­ces­sive Lon­don Shield fi­nal and they went into the game as hold­ers hav­ing beaten Skye at The Ei­lan in 2016.

It was a fi­nal of fine mar­gins and Oban Ca­manachd got off to a great start, open­ing up a two-goal ad­van­tage be­fore the 10-minute mark.

Ross Camp­bell put them in front on five min­utes with the 14-year-old forc­ing the ball low into the net from an acute an­gle.

Things got even bet­ter for the Oban side just four min­utes later. Len­non Camp­bell’s shot was saved by Kin­gussie keeper Ge­orge Tay­lor-Ram­say but Lewis Buchanan knocked the re­bound home to make it 2-0.

The next goal was al­ways go­ing to be cru­cial. A third Oban Ca­manachd goal could have killed Kin­gussie off but in­stead it was Roddy Young who got his side back into the game.

As the Kings went for­ward,

Young and his marker col­lided, both fall­ing to the ground. Young was quickly back on his feet and he beat an­other player be­fore slot­ting the ball past keeper Cameron Sutherland and into the far post side-net­ting to make it 2-1.

Ruar­idh An­der­son drew Kin­gussie level on 46 min­utes with the goal com­ing af­ter a cor­ner. An­der­son touched the ball down through the Oban de­fence and into the D, and he ran on to flick the ball past the keeper into the cor­ner of the net.

Kin­gussie took the lead for the first time on 67 min­utes, with Young col­lect­ing a free-hit, chipped over the Oban de­fence to­wards him, and he turned back into three de­fend­ers, tak­ing the ball through them be­fore shoot­ing into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net to bag his se­cond goal of the game.

How­ever Oban Ca­manachd fought back and Len­non Camp­bell equalised on 76 min­utes. This time Lewis Buchanan saw his shot saved, but Camp­bell got in ahead of a de­fender to make it 3-3.

Both keepers – 12-year-old Ge­orge Tay­lor-Ram­say for Kin­gussie and Scot­land U17 goalie Cameron Sutherland for Oban Ca­manachd – made great saves dur­ing the match and were help­less for the goals.

At the end of an ex­cit­ing 80 min­utes, ref­eree Deek Cameron took the fi­nal into ex­tra-time.

Kin­gussie made an ex­plo­sive start to the ex­tra-time pe­riod and Ruar­idh An­der­son put them back in front. Joe Don­ald’s ini­tial shot was saved by Cameron Sutherland but An­der­son ran in and flicked the ball around the keeper and into the net for his se­cond goal of the af­ter­noon to make it 4-3.

With the clock count­ing down, Oban Ca­manachd pushed play­ers for­ward and, with five min­utes re­main­ing, they were awarded a penalty af­ter ref­eree Cameron spot­ted a ‘kick’ inside the D. Kin­gussie swapped keepers for the spot-hit with Alexan­der Michie re­plac­ing Ge­orge Tay­lor-Ram­say be­tween the sticks but it made no dif­fer­ence as Lewis Buchanan got his se­cond, with his well-struck penalty go­ing low and hard into the net to make it 4-4.

Ge­orge Tay­lor-Ram­say re­turned to goal, al­though he was re­placed again just be­fore the end of ex­tra-time by half back Dy­lan Borth­wick.

The switch paid div­i­dends as Borth­wick saved all five Oban Ca­manachd penal­ties. The penalty that made the dif­fer­ence was the Kings’ fifth spot hit when Kieran MacPher­son thumped the ball home to give Kin­gussie a 1-0 shoot-out win.

The pick of the play­ers prob­a­bly came in the mid­dle of the park where the cap­tains – Kin­gussie’s Ruar­idh An­der­son and Oban Ca­manachd’s Daniel MacCuish – were su­perb.

Kin­gussie cap­tain Ruar­idh An­der­son lifted the Lon­don Shield, round­ing off what has been a suc­cess­ful youth sea­son for the club.

Af­ter the game, Oban Ca­manachd youth coach David MacCuish said: ‘It was a crack­ing fi­nal and al­though we’re dis­ap­pointed to lose, you have to recog­nise the tal­ent on show, so credit to both clubs for that. Our big play­ers like Craig Eas­ton, Daniel Sloss and Daniel MacCuish did very well, but Kin­gussie are a strong team, with Ruar­idh An­der­son and Roddy Young par­tic­u­larly good.

‘What also im­pressed me was how well the play­ers on both sides, who haven’t yet played much se­cond team shinty, did in the fi­nal. They were all ter­rific.

‘The fi­nal was end to end and could have gone ei­ther way just as the scor­ing sug­gests. If we could have got a third goal at 2-0 up then it could well have been a dif­fer­ent out­come but that’s just the way it goes. It’s a shame to lose out in a penalty shoot-out but the way the play­ers have per­formed augers well for the fu­ture.’

David MacCuish con­tin­ued: ‘One thing I would add is that I feel we should be play­ing the Lon­don Shield fi­nal a bit ear­lier in the sea­son when more of the neu­tral venues for the fi­nal would be avail­able. It’s been seven weeks since we played our semi-fi­nal, so an ear­lier fi­nal is some­thing which should cer­tainly be looked at.’

The next step for sev­eral of the Oban Ca­manachd young­sters will be to move into the Lochside Rovers side where a num­ber of them al­ready fea­ture.

‘Gareth Evans is do­ing a fan­tas­tic job with Lochside,’ said MacCuish. ‘He has al­ready in­tro­duced a lot of the younger play­ers into the side and what he has achieved this sea­son, con­sid­er­ing he of­ten loses play­ers to the se­niors, is quite re­mark­able.

‘We’ve seen Daniel MacCuish, Lewis Buchanan, Craig Eas­ton and Daniel Sloss take an­other step up to play for Oban Ca­manachd in the Pre­mier­ship this year, so the path­way is there.’

The fi­nal marks a last match in charge for Oban Ca­manachd youth coaches David MacCuish, Scott Buchanan and Ge­orge Eas­ton. They have coached the U17s for the last three sea­sons fol­low­ing spells with the U14s and Rock­field Pri­mary School, win­ning many tro­phies along the way.

MacCuish added: ‘We’ve had a lot of good times and it’s been re­ally en­joy­able see­ing promis­ing young­sters de­velop into first team play­ers. I cer­tainly won’t be walk­ing away al­to­gether as I’ll al­ways be on hand to help out, but it’s time to pass the ba­ton on to some­one else.’

The club will meet soon to dis­cuss their youth coach­ing ar­range­ments for next sea­son – David MacCuish, Scott Buchanan and Ge­orge Eas­ton will be hard acts to fol­low.

Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Kil­mallie P Oban Ca­manachd P

The 11.30am throw-up be­tween Kil­mallie and Oban Ca­manachd at The Canal Parks was post­poned on Fri­day evening as the pitch was un­playable.

With league po­si­tions un­af­fected, the sides agreed with the Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion that the points be shared so the match will not be sched­uled.

Kil­mallie man­ager Mark MacPher­son would have been with­out sus­pended trio Michael Rodger, Martin Ste­wart and Craig MacIsaac for this game, but there is at least some good news as the points shar­ing ar­range­ment means the game will count against each player’s sus­pen­sion. Rodger and MacIsaac will still miss the first two games of next sea­son, but Ste­wart will just miss the 2018 open­ing day match.

Kil­mallie re­turn to the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion next sea­son af­ter 12 months in shinty’s top flight.

The Oban Ca­manachd squad end the sea­son in a com­fort­able sixth po­si­tion in the league.

This match com­pletes the 2017 Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship pro­gramme.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Fort Wil­liam 2 In­ver­aray 0

Fort Wil­liam will play Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion shinty again next sea­son fol­low­ing their 2-0 win over In­ver­aray at An Aird.

It would have taken a win­ning mar­gin of 13 goals for the Fort to pip Caberfeidh to the divi­sion’s se­cond pro­mo­tion spot, but this al­ways looked an un­re­al­is­tic tar­get.

The wet weather in the lead up to the game led to a Satur­day morn­ing in­spec­tion when the pitch was ruled playable.

Fort Wil­liam were with­out Bryan Simp­son and Sean Cameron.

In­ver­aray’s Al­lan MacDon­ald was sus­pended for this one as he started a five-match ban, which will stretch well into next sea­son, al­though he did travel with the squad. Ally Munro, Ally MacDon­ald, Grant Grif­fin, Garry MacPher­son and young­ster Ruaraidh Graham were also miss­ing for the vis­i­tors but Ni­cholas Craw­ford, start­ing at full cen­tre, was back in the side af­ter in­jury. Dou­glas Dando also started.

There was a minute’s si­lence ahead of throw up fol­low­ing the sad pass­ing of for­mer Lochaber U14 player Kyle Bruce.

Fort Wil­liam knew they had to go for goals and the game was only 15 sec­onds old when In­ver­aray keeper Scott MacLach­lan saved first with his stick and then with his feet.

Fort Wil­liam took the lead af­ter eight min­utes when Alexan­der MacMil­lan’s shot took a slight de­flec­tion off John Kennedy’s stick and ended up in the back of the net.

An­other good Fort Wil­liam move saw an ef­fort hit the side-net­ting on 11 min­utes.

Al­lan Cameron hit In­ver­aray’s only ef­fort at goal dur­ing the early ex­changes.

Ar­ran MacPhee and Calum Shep­herd were dom­i­nant in the Fort Wil­liam mid­field and Alexan­der MacMil­lan had the ball in the net on 23 min­utes but the ef­fort was ruled out for off­side by ref­eree Archie Ritchie.

In­deed it was one of three ef­forts Fort Wil­liam had dis­al­lowed for off­side.

Had it not been for some great goal­keep­ing from In­ver­aray’s Scott MacLach­lan, and for some over-elab­o­rate for­ward play, it could well have been a more in­ter­est­ing se­cond half with Fort Wil­liam tar­get­ing a big win.

As it was, the se­cond half fell flat al­though Calum Shep­herd, pushed for­ward af­ter start­ing at wing cen­tre, added a se­cond, send­ing the ball low into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net just 30 sec­onds af­ter the restart.

The heavy pitch didn’t suit Fort Wil­liam and there was no fur­ther scor­ing.

Lachie Shaw re­ally im­pressed for the Fort who were bet­ter than the 2-0 win sug­gests and their young side may well ben­e­fit from an­other sea­son in shinty’s se­cond tier in the long run.

The match com­pletes the 2017 Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion league pro­gramme and Caberfeidh, along with cham­pi­ons Skye Ca­manachd, will be pro­moted to the Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship.

Inverness end the sea­son bot­tom of the table. How­ever it is un­likely that there will be pro­mo­tion hope­fuls from ei­ther North one or South one, so the High­land Cap­i­tal side should have the op­tion of con­tin­u­ing to play in shinty’s se­cond tier.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Fort Wil­liam P Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity P

The clash be­tween the Fort Wil­liam se­cond team and Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity was called off on Fri­day af­ter­noon as An Aird could not take two games and the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion meet­ing be­tween Fort Wil­liam and In­ver­aray took prece­dent.

The sides shared the points. Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity fin­ish the sea­son in se­cond po­si­tion, while the Fort Wil­liam colts com­plete their league cam­paign in fifth spot.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Bute 2 Aber­dour 0

Bute go third in Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 fol­low­ing their 2-0 home vic­tory over se­cond placed Aber­dour.

A late player call-off meant Aber­dour had to play the whole match with just 11 play­ers.

Bute started with a cold wind in their favour and, af­ter an even open­ing spell; they took the lead through a very good Robert Walker goal on 35 min­utes al­though vis­it­ing keeper Kevin La­timer did get his hand to Walker’s shot.

The Aber­dour play­ers put in a great shift but and it took some stout de­fend­ing to re­strict Bute to a sin­gle goal in­ter­val lead with Aber­dour re­stricted to just a few chances.

The se­cond half con­tin­ued in the same vein and Ian McDon­ald made it 2-0 on 59 min­utes.

It was a last ap­pear­ance for Aber­dour marks­man Roddy McColl. The for­mer Kyles player has only missed one game in the last two sea­sons and that was when his son Murdo was born. His con­tri­bu­tion, es­pe­cially his goals, will be dif­fi­cult to re­place next sea­son.

This was Aber­dour’s fi­nal match of the sea­son and they are cur­rently in a cred­itable se­cond place in the divi­sion. Bute could over­take them on goal dif­fer­ence if they beat Kil­mory at MacRae Park this Satur­day. How­ever Kil­mory them­selves, with three matches re­main­ing, can still snatch a se­cond place fin­ish.

Kyles Ath­letic P Tay­forth P

With Tighnabru­aich still un­playable, the clash be­tween the Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds and Tay­forth was switched to Yoker with a 3pm throw up.

How­ever the game was called off on Satur­day morn­ing fol­low­ing a be­reave­ment.

Taynuilt P Col Glen P

The meet­ing be­tween Taynuilt and Col Glen was called off when the Taynuilt sports field failed a pitch in­spec­tion.

The teams agreed to share the points.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Kil­mallie P Inverness P

The match be­tween the Kil­mallie sec­onds and the Inverness sec­onds was post­poned when it be­came clear the Canal Parks could not take two games.

The match has been resched­uled for this com­ing Satur­day.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd 2 Caberfeidh 1

Strath­spey Ca­manachd beat the Caberfeidh se­cond team 2-1 in their 1.30pm throw up at Gran­town Gram­mar School.

The match was resched­uled from Sun­day Oc­to­ber 5.

Ar­ron MacBean gave Strath­spey the lead on just five min­utes, while Struan Ross made it 2-0 on 25 min­utes.

Ruar­idh McCreadie pulled a goal back five min­utes from time but Strath­spey stayed in front to take the points.

WCA Round Up

The Women’s Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion sea­son is reach­ing a con­clu­sion.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion 1 Skye Ca­manachd P Lochaber P

The cru­cial league match be­tween Skye Ca­manachd and Lochaber at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree has been resched­uled for Satur­day (Novem­ber 11).

The match was orig­i­nally sched­uled for Satur­day Novem­ber 4, but Lochaber re­quested a post­pone­ment so their squad could at­tend the fu­neral of for­mer Lochaber U14 player Kyle Bruce in Fort Wil­liam that same day.

Fort Wil­liam P Lochaber P

The 3pm throw up be­tween Fort Wil­liam and Lochaber on Sun­day Novem­ber 5 was post­poned as An Aird was un­playable.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Lochaber 1 Glenurquhart 2

The Lochaber se­cond team knew that a win over Glenurquhart in their noon throw up at Spean Bridge on Sun­day Novem­ber 5 would give them the Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion Two ti­tle.

How­ever it proved to be a frus­trat­ing af­ter­noon for the home side as the Glen ran out 2-1 win­ners.

Caitlin MacDon­ald got the Lochaber goal but strikes from Jenny Ser­vice and Hazel Hunter gave Glenurquhart vic­tory and they fin­ish third.

There will now be a play­off be­tween Lochaber and Strath­spey, with the date yet to be con­firmed, to de­cide the ti­tle des­ti­na­tion.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Cowal & Bute 2 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0

A Fay Robertson dou­ble gave Cowal and Bute a 2-0 win over the Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll se­cond team.

Kin­gussie win Wade Cup

Kin­gussie High School lifted the 2017 Wade Cup, beat­ing Lochaber High School 9-4 at The Dell on Thurs­day Novem­ber 2.

On a day bathed in sparkling sun­shine, Lochaber went into the match as hold­ers of this se­nior school tro­phy hav­ing beaten Kin­gussie 1-0 in the 2016 fi­nal cour­tesy of a Lewis Clark goal.

Both teams were able to in­clude play­ers with Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship ex­pe­ri­ence and it was Kin­gussie who made the best pos­si­ble start to this year’s con­test when Liam Borth­wick’s back-hand strike gave them an open­ing minute lead.

Kin­gussie for­wards Liam Borth­wick, Roddy Young and Bradley Harvie com­bined to set up a chance for Ruar­idh An­der­son and he made no mis­take, net­ting to make it 2-0 with 10 min­utes on the clock.

Lochaber were find­ing it dif­fi­cult play­ing into the bright sun and Roddy Young made it 3-0 shortly af­ter.

Vic­tor Smith looked to be Lochaber’s best chance of a counter and he pulled a goal back to make it 3-1.

Lochaber were find­ing it dif­fi­cult to con­tain Roddy Young and he scored three more times in a dev­as­tat­ing spell to make it 6-1 at half-time.

Lachie Shaw was play­ing well in the Lochaber cen­tre line al­though Kin­gussie duo Kieran MacPher­son and Alexan­der Michie were dom­i­nat­ing the mid­dle of the park.

The se­cond half was only four min­utes old when Liam Borth­wick got his se­cond to give Kin­gussie what looked like an unas­sail­able 7-1 ad­van­tage.

How­ever Lochaber pulled a goal back when Vic­tor Smith notched his se­cond.

Lachie Shaw con­tin­ued the fight-back be­fore Vic­tor Smith com­pleted his hat-trick to make it 7-4 with Lochaber now very much in the game.

How­ever Kin­gussie cap­tain Alexan­der Michie blasted the ball home from the penalty spot on 54 min­utes to put the Kings back in con­trol be­fore good wing play from Jor­dan Reid and sub­sti­tute Joe Don­ald set up a chance for Roddy Young who needed no se­cond in­vi­ta­tion to knock home his fifth goal of the af­ter­noon.

Match ref­eree Roald Ross blew for time and Kin­gussie’s over­all per­for­mance made them de­served 9-4 win­ners.

Af­ter the match, Kin­gussie cap­tain Alexan­der Michie stepped up to re­ceive the Wade Cup.

This Satur­day’s shinty ac­tion

As the 2017 shinty sea­son draws to a close, there are some fix­tures sched­uled for this com­ing week­end.

The Kin­lochshiel and Beauly se­cond teams are sched­uled to meet at Kirk­ton in the fi­nal Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 fix­ture of the sea­son.

There is also a Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 en­counter be­tween fourth placed Kil­mory and third placed Bute at MacRae Park.

The Kil­mallie and Inverness se­cond teams try again this Satur­day as their Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 en­counter, which was post­poned last Satur­day, has been resched­uled.

The big match in the Women’s Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion Na­tional Divi­sion 1 is the league de­cider be­tween Skye Ca­manachd and Lochaber at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

This will be the third time the sides have met this sea­son with Skye win­ning the league en­counter at Spean Bridge 5-0 as well as com­ing out on top 6-1 when the sides met in the Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup.

Reign­ing cham­pi­ons Skye cur­rently lead Lochaber by two points so Lochaber need to win to force a ti­tle play-off.

Shinty ref­eree Ross ready to hit the heights

Shinty ref­eree Ross Brown will later this month un­der­take a chal­leng­ing en­durance trek to Ever­est Base Camp to raise funds for Glas­gow Chil­dren’s Hos­pi­tal Char­ity.

The for­mer Lochcar­ron player and man­ager was named Ma­rine Har­vest Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion Emerg­ing Ref­eree of the Year in 2016.

It was an event­ful year as Ross and his part­ner Anna also be­came par­ents to Har­ris in June 2016.

How­ever, af­ter pick­ing up a virus later that year, Har­ris was found to have is­sues reg­u­lat­ing his blood sugar lev­els, and was ad­mit­ted to hos­pi­tal.

What fol­lowed was an eight­month stay in the Glas­gow Chil­dren’s Hos­pi­tal where end­less tests were car­ried out, with no de­fin­i­tive di­ag­no­sis, and fi­nally, to al­low them to go home, an op­er­a­tion took place to al­low Har­ris to be fed via a tube into his stom­ach.

Ross and Anna will take Har­ris to Manch­ester in Jan­uary 2018 where he will un­dergo fur­ther tests.

Ross, a tech­ni­cian with the Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice, said: ‘Dur­ing his time on Ward 3A of the hos­pi­tal, Har­ris re­ceived the most fan­tas­tic care and at­ten­tion from the ded­i­cated nurs­ing and play as­sis­tants. He was for­tu­nate to have ac­cess to a play room, sen­sory room, cin­ema and to have one-to-one ses­sions for body paint­ing and other ac­tiv­i­ties, all of which is funded by the Glas­gow Chil­dren’s Hos­pi­tal Char­ity.’

To help en­able the char­ity to con­tinue to of­fer these fan­tas­tic op­por­tu­ni­ties and ex­pe­ri­ences to sick chil­dren while in hos­pi­tal, Ross de­cided to un­der­take the chal­lenge of trekking to Ever­est Base Camp and an alti­tude of 5,664 me­ters when climb­ing to the top of the nearby Kala Patthar.

The trek takes place from next Thurs­day (Novem­ber 16) and Sun­day De­cem­ber 3.

Ross added: ‘I’m very much look­ing for­ward to the chal­lenge but it will be hard be­ing away from home for over two weeks. Friends, fam­ily and col­leagues have been amaz­ing in help­ing me reach over £4,000 in fundrais­ing so far.’

All do­na­tions are grate­fully re­ceived for this un­doubt­edly wor­thy cause.

Please fol­low the link be­low if you would like to do­nate: https://www.just­giv­ fundrais­ing/ross-brown14

As an added bonus, a £5 do­na­tion will se­cure en­try into a raf­fle for Run­rig’s farewell con­cert in Stir­ling. Any­one wish­ing to en­ter the raf­fle should leave their name and email ad­dress when mak­ing a do­na­tion to the just giv­ing site.

Io­main Cholm­cille X

Io­main Cholm­cille X took place in Fort Wil­liam re­cently. The day’s matches were orig­i­nally sched­uled for An Aird but the rain on Fri­day, with more forecast, led to a switch of venue to the Lochaber High School as­tro pitch.

The In­ter­na­tional Shinty / Hurl­ing Fes­ti­val for Gaelic speak­ers marked 10 years with its big­gest event yet at Mòd Lochaber.

With the game tak­ing place on the smaller as­tro pitch, the rules were changed to make a re­ally in­tense spec­ta­cle with shinty goals and smaller sides mean­ing there were no points over the bar.

Fans were treated to a great but heated hurl­ing play­off be­tween Cu­mann Micheál Breath­nach and Fir Uladh in the morn­ing. Fir Uladh won through to the fi­nal 4-3 with goals from Naoise O Caire­al­lain agus Frankie O Ceal­laidh can­celling out the goals by Maidhc and Bre­an­dan O Cong­haile.

Then it was the youths turn, with Alba Òg tak­ing on Gael­cholaiste Dhoire for the Cupa Bhòrd na Gàidhlig. This was an en­ter­tain­ing game 3-1 to the young Scot­tish Gaels who were man­aged by GMA and Uist’s An­gus MacInnes.

Goals from Jamie MacLeod and Hamish Shaw were the dif­fer­ence. It is hope this fix­ture will lead to a tour­ing Alba Òg side. Jamie Gil­lies of Skye Ca­manachd was cap­tain, and Calum Gil­lies and Wil­liam Sutherland also played im­por­tant roles.

Alba Head Coach, Doneil MacLeod was de­lighted when his men got off to a good start with a com­pre­hen­sive 5-1 warm up win against Micheal Breath­nach. Lo­cal Fort Wil­liam boys Jack Fraser, Mark Fraser and Lachie Shaw were joined on the score sheet by Skye’s Ally MacDon­ald.

The Alba women were beaten 4-0 but not dis­graced against Cois Fhar­raige, who won the Corn Sgáthaich tro­phy for the se­cond year run­ning. Sor­cha Ni Fhrighil had the pick of the four goals and also won the player of the day, Lochaber’s Claire De­laney was awarded Alba’s player of the day. Caitlin MacLean was also ex­cel­lent, play­ing along­side Skye team-mates Kathryn Dib­ble, Sara Jane Fer­gu­son and Izzy Law.

The men’s Corn Cholm­cille match was a fan­tas­tic spec­ta­cle in which Fir Uladh de­fended stoutly, but also where Alba, in par­tic­u­lar young su­per­star Shaw, was de­nied by the posts on sev­eral oc­ca­sions.

How­ever, Alba’s player of the day and win­ner of “Sàr-chluic­headair an Latha” Jack Fraser broke the dead­lock, then his brother Mark made it three and then Uist and Beauly’s Ewen Camp­bell added a fourth. Sean MacLeod fin­ished the game on the park, one of only three Alba play­ers to have played at the first Io­main Cholm­cille in 2007 and the 10th an­niver­sary tour­na­ment.

Alba’s cap­tain Graham Black, from North Uist, cur­rently play­ing for Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity, lifted the tro­phy, pre­sented by Al­lan Camp­bell, Pres­i­dent of An Co­munn Gàid­healach. Al­lan was also joined in the very en­ter­tained crowd, by Shona MacLen­nan of Bòrd na Gàidhlig who pre­sented Corn Sgàthaich agus Cupa Bhòrd na Gàidhlig. They both talked of how en­cour­aged they were by the work that Io­main Cholm­cille has done over the last decade to en­cour­age Gaelic speak­ing in sport and to hear the young men and women us­ing it all day as they played.

Eòghan Stiùb­hart, co-or­di­na­tor of Io­main Cholm­cille for the last 10 years said, ‘We are very thank­ful to An Co­munn for al­low­ing us to hold Io­main Cholm­cille as part of Mòd Loch Abar in our spe­cial tenth year and we’d also like to thank Colm­cille for their sup­port ev­ery year. It was an in­cred­i­ble day and we were very happy to show how team sports should be at the heart of de­vel­op­ing Gaelic.’

Re­sults from Io­main Cholm­cille – Gaelic Shinty / Hurl­ing In­ter­na­tion­als

Hurl­ing Play-off – Fir Uladh 4, Micheál Breath­nach 3. Cupa Bhòrd na Gàidhlig – Alba Òg 3 Gael­cholaiste Dhoire 1. Shinty / Hurl­ing ex­hi­bi­tion – Alba 5 Micheál Breath­nach 1. Corn Sgáthaich – Shinty / Camo­gie – Cois Fhar­raige 4 Alba 0. Corn Cholm­cille, Alba 4 Fir Uladh 0.

Kil­mallie an­nual din­ner dance and awards night

Kil­mallie’s an­nual din­ner dance and awards night takes place at The Moor­ings Ho­tel, Banavie on Satur­day Novem­ber 18.

The club’s an­nual player of the year win­ners will be an­nounced and there will be mu­sic from the Bal­lochmyle Band.

It is a 7pm for a 7.30pm start and tick­ets are £25, with £15 for ju­ve­niles.

Tick­ets can be pur­chased from Cath MacKay, Ann MacDougall, Linda Camp­bell, Mark MacPher­son and Ryan Ste­wart.

Craig Mor­ri­son six-a-sides

Glenurquhart won the 2017 Craig Mor­ri­son Me­mo­rial Sixes in Stornoway on Satur­day Oc­to­ber 14.

Five teams com­peted in this year’s event – three Lewis sides along with Glenurquhart and “Strome­ferry – No Ferry”.

Glenurquhart, who in­cluded James MacPher­son, Stu­art Reid and David Smart in a strong squad, were con­vinc­ing win­ners and af­ter the round-robin event, they beat the Lewis Blacks 8-0 in the fi­nal.

Craig Mor­ri­son passed away trag­i­cally in 2009, aged only 20 and he is fondly re­mem­bered by all at Lewis Ca­manachd.

Pho­to­graphs: Neil Pater­son

The vic­to­ri­ous Kin­gussie team.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Ruar­idh Horne and Dy­lan Borth­wock in a tus­sle for the ball.

Ian John­stone of Ma­rine Har­vest presents the Lon­don Shield to Kin­gussie cap­tain Ruar­idh An­der­son.

Some fancy stick­work from Oban Ca­manachd’s Lewis Buchanan as he’s closed down by Kin­gussie’s Alexan­der Michie

The Iain ‘Par­rot’ MacMil­lan Me­mo­rial Sixes took place at Moss­field last Sun­day, with Taynuilt win­ning both the A and B leagues. Player of the tour­na­ment was Calum MacMil­lan from Park, with the girl player of the tour­na­ment be­ing Sasha MacCal­lum also...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.