Oban Ca­manachd man­ager to hand over the reins

The Oban Times - - SHINTY NEWS - Pho­to­graph: Kevin McG­lynn.

Skye Ca­manachd are rel­e­gated af­ter just one sea­son in the top flight, Inveraray won pro­mo­tion to the Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship, the Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds, Bute and Lochside Rovers are all in con­tention in the Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 ti­tle race and Skye Ca­manachd Ladies clinched a third suc­ces­sive Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 ti­tle fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day Oc­to­ber 6.

Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship Oban Ca­manachd 4 Skye Ca­manachd 3

Skye Ca­manachd went into their meet­ing with Oban Ca­manachd at Moss­field know­ing they needed a con­vinc­ing win to boost their top flight sur­vival chances.

They bat­tled hard through­out, but it was Oban Ca­manachd who took the hon­ours as a hat-trick from An­drew MacCuish helped them to a 4-3 win.

Oban Ca­manachd's Daniel Cameron suf­fered a knock in the de­feat to New­ton­more two weeks ear­lier and he failed to re­cover in time for this one. Ai­dan MacIn­tyre and Scott McKil­lop were both un­avail­able, but Craig MacDougall was free of sus­pen­sion and started on the bench, whilst Keith MacMil­lan also re­turned. Con­nor Howe was miss­ing and Gavin Sto­b­bart was an out­field sub­sti­tute.

Skye keeper Iain MacLeod re­turned af­ter miss­ing the last two matches through work com­mit­ments which was lucky as se­cond team goalie Ryan Mor­ri­son was on hol­i­day. Kenny Camp­bell was un­avail­able and Daniel Mor­ri­son was out af­ter suf­fer­ing a bro­ken thumb in the win over Caber­feidh a week ear­lier. Ross Gor­don and Chris Rose were added to the trav­el­ling squad.

Oban Ca­manachd took the lead on 14 min­utes. A Scott MacMil­lan hitin from the stand-side of the ground bounced to the back of the ‘D' where Wil­lie Neil­son caught the ball well, ham­mer­ing it into the roof of the net from 12 yards.

Skye lev­elled on 21 min­utes when James Pringle went on a 20-yard solo run through on goal be­fore tuck­ing the ball home.

The is­landers took the lead on the half-hour when Ruaraidh MacLeod and Daniel Sloss chal­lenged for a ball in the air. Sloss slipped and MacLeod turned away and his 15 yard, head-high shot flew past Oban Ca­manachd keeper Cameron Suther­land on his right side.

An­drew MacCuish en­sured the sides would go into the break on level terms, how­ever, when he steered a ball in the air, which had come off the keeper, into the net fol­low­ing a goal­mouth scram­ble.

Skye goalie Iain MacLeod made good saves from An­drew MacCuish and Wil­lie Neil­son in the first half, whilst Oban Ca­manachd cus­to­dian Cameron Suther­land did well to pre­vent Ruaraidh MacLeod from get­ting a se­cond.

An­drew MacCuish got his se­cond goal of the game on 53 min­utes when he ran onto a Daniel MacVicar pass to the right of the cir­cle. MacCuish struck the ball on his right side from 15 yards on the an­gle, send­ing it into the top cor­ner of the net to make it 3-2.

With Scot­land man­ager Garry Reid fi­nal­is­ing his in­ter­na­tional squad, An­drew MacCuish picked a good time to com­plete his hat-trick with the goal com­ing from the penalty spot six min­utes later. MacCuish ran the ball into the ‘D' but was bumped over and ref­eree David Mitchell pointed to the spot af­ter con­sult­ing the goal judge. MacCuish struck the penalty low to the keeper's left and although Iain MacLeod got a foot to the ball, he couldn't keep it out.

Skye sent out a quick re­sponse as Ruaraidh MacLeod got his se­cond goal of the af­ter­noon a minute later. MacLeod picked the ball up out on the wing and ran with it for 30 yards be­fore reach­ing the penalty spot where he struck the ball in­side the side-net­ting to make it 4-3.

Skye had the chance to level when they were awarded a penalty af­ter a home player had fallen on the ball. Will Cowie hit the penalty well enough, low and hard to the keeper's left, but Cameron Suther­land made a great save with a com­bi­na­tion of his foot and stick keep­ing the ball out.

Both sides could have been bet­ter de­fen­sively through­out the game but Oban Ca­manachd saw out the clos­ing stages to take the points, although few would have grudged Skye a draw.

This was the fi­nal match in charge for Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Ian Hay who has led the side for the last three and a half sea­sons. ‘It's a strange not to be man­ager any more and I've got mixed feel­ings about that,' Ian said the fol­low­ing day.

‘Our sea­son has tended to go on un­til Novem­ber in re­cent times so it also feels like an early fin­ish. I'll re-ad­just though. I just need a bit of a break but I'm sure I'll be back in some ca­pac­ity fur­ther down the line.

‘It was good to sign off with a win and we've fin­ished in the top half of the league. We only lost five times in the league - mostly when we've had play­ers miss­ing - but our five draws cost us a higher placed fin­ish.

‘There is a good squad there for the new man­ager, with some very promis­ing young play­ers, so the fu­ture's bright.'

Skye are also on the man­age­rial hunt. John MacLeod stepped down in mid-Septem­ber with his as­sis­tants Donnie ‘Digg' Mac­Don­ald and Iain ‘Dowel' MacLeod see­ing the team through the fi­nal three matches of the sea­son.

Kin­gussie 1 Kin­lochshiel 1

Kin­lochshiel re­main in the race to fin­ish se­cond af­ter com­ing from be­hind to draw 1-1 with Kin­gussie in their 1pm throw-up at the Dell.

The sides served up an en­ter­tain­ing goal-less draw at Kirk­ton a fort­night ear­lier and had to set­tle for a share of the spoils in this one too.

Kin­gussie had Fraser Munro, Louis Munro and Calum Grant back, but they were with­out Lee Bain.

Kin­lochshiel keeper Scott Kennedy suf­fered a back in­jury in the pre­vi­ous week's win over Lo­vat, so his brother Gra­ham Kennedy took over in goal. Ali Nixon missed out with a ham­string prob­lem but de­fend­ers David Fal­coner and Mark Mac­Don­ald re­turned.

There was an end of sea­son feel about the first half but Kin­gussie went up the gears be­fore the end of the half, helped by the in­tro­duc­tion of Fraser Munro for Rory MacGre­gor on 27 min­utes and then Louis Munro for Savio Genini at the break which strength­ened their mid­field.

Kin­gussie made a good start to the se­cond half with Ruar­idh An­der­son putting them in front on 53 min­utes. Rory MacKeachan won pos­ses­sion on the left and played a long ball to Liam Borth­wick at wing for­ward. Borth­wick con­trolled the ball and switched it to the other wing where Ruar­idh An­der­son had just been switched to the wing for­ward po­si­tion. An­der­son rolled Mark Mac­Don­ald and let the ball run by him be­fore shoot­ing on his back­hand from about 10 yards through the keeper's legs and into the net.

Kin­gussie looked to add to their lead, whilst their de­fence of Robert Mabon, Rory MacKeachan and Calum Grant and Alexan­der Michie kept the vis­it­ing at­tack­ers at bay.

Kin­gussie were hit by a sucker-punch on 69 min­utes when a spec­u­la­tive ef­fort from Oliver MacRae was saved by home keeper Craig Daw­son but the re­bound fell for John MacRae who found the net to make it 1-1.

This was Kin­gussie's fi­nal game of the sea­son. Kin­lochshiel com­plete their cam­paign at home to Caber­feidh this Satur­day.

Lochaber 3 Kyles Ath­letic 6

Kyles Ath­letic re­main on course to fin­ish se­cond af­ter they beat Lochaber 6-3 at Spean Bridge.

This was Lochaber's fi­nal game of the sea­son. They hadn't played for four weeks when they lost out to Kin­gussie. Kevin Ferguson and Martin John­stone missed that game as they served one-match sus­pen­sions, but they were free for this one. Danny Delaney was banned as he be­gan a two-match sus­pen­sion for his red card in that game.

Kyles Ath­letic's Grant Irvine re­turned but keeper John Whyte was un­avail­able so one of shinty's greats, Kenny Mac­Don­ald, made a come­back between the sticks.

Kyles trav­elled with just 12 play­ers and suf­fered a blow when an in­jury to Gor­don Whyte early in the first half meant he had to come off mean­ing they played the re­main­der of the match with 11 play­ers.

Shaun Ni­col­son scored twice for Lochaber with Find­lay Mac­Don­ald get­ting the other.

Dou­bles from Rob­bie MacLeod and Calum Miller, who was switched up front af­ter suf­fer­ing a leg knock, and goals from Sandy MacKen­zie and Grant Irvine gave Kyles a 6-3 win.

Kyles Ath­letic wel­come bot­tom side Glenurquhart to Tighnabru­aich this Satur­day in the last game of the sea­son for both teams. A win would guar­an­tee Kyles an­other se­cond placed fin­ish.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion Beauly 1 Inveraray 3

Inveraray will re­turn to the Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship fol­low­ing a three-year ab­sence af­ter they came from a goal down to beat Beauly 3-1 at Brae­view Park.

Inveraray went into the game on a four-match win­ning run and

they knew a point was all that was re­quired to pip Fort William for se­cond place in the di­vi­sion.

Beauly had only taken one point from their last four out­ings but were keen to fin­ish their sea­son on a high.

Beauly were miss­ing Ryan Till­man and Liam Gir­van, whilst Inveraray were with­out Hamish McLen­nan.

The home side made the per­fect start, tak­ing the lead af­ter two min­utes. A ball out of the Inveraray de­fence found Jack Mac­Don­ald who flicked the ball past Scott MacLach­lan in the Inveraray goal to make it 1-0.

Inveraray had plenty of time to re­cover the sit­u­a­tion and Neil Camp­bell hit the post whilst Josh Grant in the Beauly goal made a fine dou­ble save to deny first Garry MacPher­son and then Fraser Watt from the re­bound.

Beauly took their sin­gle goal lead into the break and Inveraray now only had 45 min­utes to get the goal they needed to se­cure pro­mo­tion.

Inveraray player/man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham made an im­por­tant tac­ti­cal switch, go­ing to a di­a­mond for­ma­tion in at­tack, and the Win­ter­ton side drew level three min­utes af­ter the restart.

Garry MacPher­son sent the ball for­ward from the mid­dle of the park and Lewis MacNi­col got away from his marker be­fore send­ing a 20-yard shot into the net to make it 1-1.

The goal eased the pres­sure on Inveraray and they took the lead from the penalty spot on 59 min­utes. Neil Camp­bell was felled by Calum Mor­ri­son and ref­eree Steven MacLach­lan pointed to the spot. Fraser Watt took re­spon­si­bil­ity and he made no mis­take.

Fraser Watt then turned provider as he found Lewis MacNi­col who scored for the se­cond time to make it 3-1 with 75 min­utes gone.

Inveraray were in no mood to rest on their two-goal cush­ion and Garry MacPher­son took on the Beauly de­fence be­fore hit­ting the post, whilst sub­sti­tute Dou­glas Dando, on for Neil Camp­bell, saw a shot beat Josh Grant and hit the in­side of the post be­fore rolling across the goal line and hit­ting the in­side of the op­po­site post with­out cross­ing the line.

Inveraray will now play top flight shinty for the first time since 2015, beat­ing Fort William to the se­cond pro­mo­tion place by a sin­gle point.

This was the fi­nal match of the sea­son for both teams and it brought the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion pro­gramme to a close.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1 Kin­lochshiel 0 Glenurquhart 7

The Glenurquhart se­cond team avoided rel­e­ga­tion to Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 at Aberdeen Univer­sity's ex­pense as they beat Kin­lochshiel's se­cond team 7-0 at Kirk­ton.

Whilst sixth-placed Kin­lochshiel were al­ready safe, the Glenurquhart knew their goal dif­fer­ence was such that they had to win this one to avoid the drop.

Kin­lochshiel were miss­ing keeper Gra­ham Kennedy, who was on first team duty, so Ali Nixon, who didn't travel with the se­niors as he was nurs­ing a ham­string in­jury, deputised in goal.

Glenurquhart were with­out Jed Stod­dart, Ryan Porter, Cameron MacKintosh and Fin­lay Ral­ston. Broth­ers Fin­lay, Liam and Fer­gus Robert­son played and Euan Lloyd fea­tured for the se­cond suc­ces­sive match, turn­ing in a man of the match per­for­mance at full cen­tre.

Neale Reid's strength and abil­ity caused Kin­lochshiel prob­lems through­out and some rasp­ing shots earned him a hat-trick.

Christo­pher Mack scored twice, with Cairn Urquhart and Lewis Mac­Don­ald get­ting the oth­ers.

The win com­pleted the Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 pro­gramme and means Glenurquhart leap-frog Aberdeen Univer­sity who drop into North 2 next sea­son.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 Bute 0 Kyles Ath­letic 0

The match of the day in Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 was the top of the ta­ble clash which saw league lead­ers Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds travel to the Mead­ows to face se­cond placed Bute.

This 2pm throw-up was the penul­ti­mate match of the sea­son for both sides. They drew 0-0 when they met at Tighnabru­aich at the end of Au­gust.

Bute, who have Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion as­pi­ra­tions, prob­a­bly had the bet­ter chances but they couldn't find the net so both teams had to set­tle for a share of the points.

Bute re­main a point be­hind the Kyles sec­onds with both teams hav­ing just one match re­main­ing.

Kyles have a tough fi­nal fix­ture, away to reign­ing cham­pi­ons Lochside Rovers, this Satur­day. Lochside are still in the ti­tle race but a Kyles win from that clash at Moss­field will take the ti­tle to Tighnabru­aich.

Bute fin­ish their sea­son at Taynuilt the same day and if they win and Kyles and Lochside draw, the ti­tle could be de­cided on goal dif­fer­ence.

Aber­dour 2 Lochside Rovers 3

Lochside Rovers showed they won't give up their ti­tle eas­ily when they fought off Aber­dour to win 3-2 at Sil­ver­sands.

A mix­ture of in­juries and hol­i­day plans meant Lochside trav­elled with just 12 play­ers so they will be de­lighted to re­turn to Oban with both points.

With keep­ers Gavin Sto­b­bart, Dougie Mac­Don­ald and Brian MacCal­lum all un­avail­able, man­ager Gareth Evans went in goal.

Vet­er­ans David Devine and Johnny Camp­bell were reg­is­tered in time to play and the lat­ter started in at­tack along­side son Ross Camp­bell.

It was a beau­ti­ful day for a game of shinty and Lochside went in front when David Devine, who led the line well through­out, sent a low shot into the net.

Tom Aitchi­son lev­elled three min­utes be­fore the break. Aitchi­son struck a 30-yard shot and although keeper Evans got his hand to the ball, he couldn't keep it out.

It was an even first half and Lochside man­ager Gareth Evans made changes at the break with Michael MacQueen go­ing from cen­tre to at­tack and Ross Camp­bell switch­ing in the op­po­site di­rec­tion.

The hosts went in front on the hour when full for­ward David MacKen­zie turned marker Ewen MacCorquo­dale and his strike found the net off the keeper's out­stretched leg.

Michael MacQueen went close on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions be­fore see­ing a shot saved on 72 min­utes but Johnny Camp­bell scored from the re­bound to make it 2-2.

The win­ning goal came with 10 min­utes re­main­ing. Michael MacQueen made the dif­fer­ence as he squeezed the ball home at the near post, with the ball go­ing in off the keeper's chest.

Lochside, with Keith Bur­nett ex­cel­lent in de­fence, had to bat­tle all the way. They are on a ter­rific run with 11 wins and a draw from their last 12 matches.

The vic­tory sets up a crack­ing clash with Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds, who the Oban side have al­ready beaten three times this sea­son, at Moss­field this Satur­day with ev­ery­thing to play for as th­ese sides, along with Bute, take the ti­tle race to the wire. Aber­dour end the sea­son in fourth.

Tay­forth 1 Inveraray 0

An early Fin­lay Stark goal was all that sep­a­rated Tay­forth and the Inveraray se­cond team at Leven­hall Links.

Tay­forth fielded a strong team and they had Niall MacPhee in the mid­dle of the park where he had a good bat­tle with Inveraray's David MacPher­son.

The only goal of the game came on 13 min­utes when the hosts won pos­ses­sion and Fin­lay Stark showed fine drib­bling skills be­fore pro­duc­ing a neat fin­ish.

There were other good con­tests in­clud­ing the one between Aber­dour full back Don­ald Clark and Inveraray full for­ward John Macken­zie.

Inveraray just lacked the killer touch in front of goal and the vic­tory takes Tay­forth off the bot­tom of the ta­ble at Kil­mory's ex­pense.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 In­ver­ness 3 Lochcar­ron 0

The In­ver­ness se­cond team recorded just their se­cond league win of the sea­son when they de­feated Lochcar­ron 3-0 at the Bught Park.

Fin­lay Calder gave In­ver­ness the lead af­ter 10 min­utes and Rory MacLen­nan added a se­cond 10 min­utes be­fore the break. Fin­lay Calder got his se­cond on 70 min­utes to se­cure the 3-0 win.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd W/O v Lochaber

Strath­spey Ca­manachd were given a walk-over when the Lochaber re­serves were un­able to raise a team for their 1.30pm throw-up at Gran­town Gram­mar School.

Kil­mallie P Beauly P

The meet­ing between the Kil­mallie colts and the Beauly colts at Canal Parks has been resched­uled for Satur­day Oc­to­ber 27.

WCA round-up

Skye Ca­manachd drew 5-5 with Bade­noch & Strath­spey to se­cure the point they re­quired to again win the WCA Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 cham­pi­onship fol­low­ing the week­end shinty ac­tion.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 Skye Ca­manachd 5 Bade­noch & Strath­spey 5

Skye Ca­manachd were crowned Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 cham­pi­ons for the third suc­ces­sive sea­son af­ter they drew 5-5 with ti­tle chal­lengers Bade­noch & Strath­spey at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye went into the match with a two-point lead cour­tesy of their 3-1 vic­tory when the sides met at the Dell ear­lier in the sea­son. They re­quired a point to again fin­ish top, whilst a Bade­noch win would force a play-off at Bal­gate the fol­low­ing Satur­day as goal dif­fer­ence isn't con­sid­ered.

The sides met in the Valerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup Fi­nal at the Dell in early Septem­ber with Bade­noch 4-1 win­ners.

Bade­noch & Strath­spey head coach Scott Camp­bell and his as­sis­tant Iain Robin­son named an un­changed start­ing ten.

Skye Ca­manachd head coach Rob­bie Gor­don made just one change from that day with Ilana Pater­son start­ing in pref­er­ence to Jenna Beaton.

A good crowd gath­ered for the match but there was a short de­lay ahead of throw-up when Bade­noch keeper El­iz­a­beth MacGre­gor was hit in the eye by the ball dur­ing the warm-up. The Scot­land keeper was able to play, how­ever, and her side made a storm­ing start to the match.

Bade­noch, play­ing to­wards the View­field end of the ground, at­tacked from the throw-up and, with less than a minute gone, Kirsty Deans ex­changed passes with Zoe Reid be­fore cut­ting in from the left to tuck the ball low into the net to give the vis­i­tors a 1-0 lead.

Bade­noch went back on the at­tack but Skye set­tled into the match and Sarah Cor­ri­gall played in Lorna MacRae for the is­landers' first chance but she sent the ef­fort past the keeper's right post.

Sarah Cor­ri­gall pulled Skye level on eight min­utes. Caitlin Ma­cLean caused panic in the Bade­noch de­fence af­ter she got away from Jeanette MacGre­gor and Cor­ri­gall forced a re­bound home, low into the net, to make it 1-1.

Sarah-Jane Ferguson, who comes from Ben­der­loch, made a good save with her feet from Mairi Stewart's low shot and the Skye keeper did well to get the ball out for a cor­ner un­der pres­sure from Zoe Reid.

Bade­noch made po­si­tional changes with Jeanette MacGre­gor go­ing to full for­ward and Kirsty Deans go­ing to full cen­tre, whilst Skye re­placed He­len La­mond with Kather­ine Dib­ble although La­mond later re­turned to the ac­tion.

Sarah Cor­ri­gall made space to cre­ate a shoot­ing chance mid­way through the first half but her ef­fort went over the top whilst, at the other end, Sarah-Jane Ferguson made a good save with her foot to deny Jeanette MacGre­gor.

The end-to-end na­ture of the con­test con­tin­ued with Sarah Cor­ri­gall shoot­ing wide soon af­ter.

With the rain start­ing to fall, Deans was be­com­ing in­creas­ingly in­flu­en­tial and Bade­noch took the ini­tia­tive, scor­ing two goals in two min­utes.

They re­gained the lead on 22 min­utes when Jeanette MacGre­gor played in Zoe Reid who fired low into the net from the in­side right chan­nel.

The Bade­noch sup­port had hardly fin­ished cel­e­brat­ing when Jeanette MacGre­gor made it 3-1 a minute later. A driv­ing Kirsty Deans run cre­ated the chance and MacGre­gor gave the keeper no chance with a fierce drive from left of the penalty spot.

Skye needed a goal and Sarah Cor­ri­gall got them back on track on 28 min­utes. There seemed lit­tle dan­ger when Cor­ri­gall gath­ered the ball on the left but she skipped past her marker and ran into the ‘D' be­fore fin­ish­ing con­fi­dently.

Skye re­placed Izzy Law with Jenna Beaton and Lorna MacRae dropped back into mid­field.

Sarah-Jane Ferguson made a great save with her right hand to parry a Rhona MacIn­tyre drive from dis­tance and the vis­i­tors had to set­tle for a cor­ner.

Keeper Ferguson then got her body be­hind a pow­er­ful Mairi Stewart shot.

Bade­noch made their first change as Katie Fal­coner took over in at­tack from Jeanette MacGre­gor.

With no fur­ther scor­ing at the end of the first 40 min­utes, Bade­noch took their 3-2 lead into the break.

Bade­noch made a lively start to the se­cond pe­riod and Katie Fal­coner ran at the Skye de­fence be­fore shoot­ing over the top.

Skye set­tled though and a Caitlin Ma­cLean ball from wide on the right dipped just over the bar.

Sarah-Jane Ferguson was the busier of the two keep­ers and she turned a Katie Fal­coner ef­fort from a tight an­gle away for a cor­ner.

The game was be­ing played at a ter­rific pace and Jeanette MacGre­gor came back on for Bade­noch.

A good shot from Mairi Stewart pro­duced an­other fine Sarah-Jane Ferguson save and Skye's He­len La­mond limped off be­fore the re­sult­ing cor­ner could be taken, with Kather­ine Dib­ble com­ing back on.

Sarah Cor­ri­gall com­pleted her hat-trick to make it 3-3 on 55 min­utes. The goal came fol­low­ing a good pass­ing move in­volv­ing Ilana Pater­son, Lorna MacRae and Caitlin Ma­cLean. Skye im­me­di­ately re­placed Jenna Beaton with Abby Ma­cLean.

The Bade­noch goal sur­vived a scare af­ter a Lorna MacRae run had stretched the vis­it­ing de­fence, but they scram­bled the ball away.

Ilana Pater­son, who had a good game through­out, came off in pref­er­ence to Holly Ma­cLean but, sec­onds later, Bade­noch got them­selves back in front when Mairi Stewart's low shot from the right de­ceived the Skye keeper and crossed the line to make it 4-3.

Bade­noch now knew if they could stay in front for the re­main­ing 19 min­utes, they would force a ti­tle play-off.

A cou­ple of min­utes later, SarahJane Ferguson stretched high to her right, mak­ing a bril­liant save with her hand to keep out a Mairi Stewart shot as Bade­noch went for the kill.

Sarah-Jane Ferguson was now stand­ing between Skye fall­ing fur­ther be­hind as she made an as­ton­ish­ing re­flex save to turn away a point-blank Kirsty Deans piledriver over the top of the bar with her stick and the Bade­noch player dropped to her knees in dis­be­lief.

There was a heart in the mouth job mo­ment for the Skye sup­port as keeper Ferguson then missed a ball into the ‘D' but she turned and swept the ball away be­fore it crossed the goal line.

El­iz­a­beth MacGre­gor had to come off her line to play the ball out for a cor­ner af­ter Lorna MacRae had run into the ‘D' from the mid­dle of the park.

Skye keeper Ferguson saved with her feet from Zoe Reid and she got the ball away for a cor­ner be­fore Jeanette MacGre­gor could profit.

Kather­ine Dib­ble suf­fered a knock and again switched places with He­len La­mond.

Bade­noch were now just seven min­utes away from earn­ing a ti­tle play-off. But Skye lev­elled for a third time on 73 min­utes when Caitlin Ma­cLean's spec­u­la­tive ef­fort from wide on the right ended up in the net, past an un­sighted keeper, to make it 4-4.

Bade­noch went back on the at­tack and an­other out­stand­ing Sarah-Jane Ferguson stop saw her use her ca­man to foil Kirsty Deans whose shot was head­ing for the roof of the net.

Ferguson then made a smart dou­ble-save to keep out ef­forts from Mairi Stewart and Jeanette MacGre­gor be­fore He­len La­mond cleared the dan­ger and Skye broke for­ward. Caitlin Ma­cLean played the ball to Abby Ma­clean who found Sarah Cor­ri­gall which gave Skye breath­ing space as she scored her fourth goal of the game, af­ter her ini­tial ef­fort had been blocked, to make it 5-4 with 75 min­utes played.

Skye were now ahead for the first time in the match and there were only five min­utes re­main­ing.

El­iz­a­beth MacGre­gor then made a dou­ble save from Sarah Cor­ri­gall and then Lorna MacRae as Skye tried to ex­tend their lead.

Katie Fal­coner sent the ball past the post as Bade­noch re­fused to ac­cept de­feat.

Lorna MacRae, who un­usu­ally hadn't scored in the game, sent a shot just over the top.

The game took an­other twist in the fi­nal minute. Sarah-Jane Ferguson saved with her legs from Mairi Stewart and, from the re­sult­ing cor­ner on the left, the ball came across to Kirsty Deans at the back of the ‘D' and she struck the ball waist-high across the keeper to make it 5-5.

Bade­noch still needed an­other goal to force a play-off but there was no time and ref­eree John Matheson's fi­nal whis­tle sparked joy­ous cel­e­bra­tions in the Skye camp.

John An­gus Gil­lies from spon­sors Ma­rine Har­vest pre­sented the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 tro­phy to Skye cap­tain Lorna MacRae in front of a de­lighted Skye sup­port.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0 Ard­na­mur­chan 1

Ard­na­mur­chan recorded a good 1-0 win over Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll in their 1.30pm throw-up at Yoker.

The match was played in dif­fi­cult con­di­tions and Ard­na­mur­chan's Han­nah Mac­Don­ald scored the goal that sep­a­rated the sides.

The win com­pletes Ard­na­mur­chan's first sea­son in the top flight and, to their credit, they have ful­filled all their fix­tures.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 In­ver­ness 4 Glen­garry 6

Glen­garry beat In­ver­ness 6-4 at the Bught Park.

A Katie McMil­lian hat-trick and Am­ber MacKay counted for In­ver­ness but Elaine Cameron hit four and Leona Fal­coner bagged a brace to give Glen­garry the win.

Strath­glass 0 Lo­vat 13

Lo­vat were too strong for Strath­glass,

win­ning 13-0 at Can­nich. Fiona Urquhart scored eight times with Laura Gal­lacher net­ting twice. El­lie Mackin­non, Caro­line Ma­cLean and Yvonne Stod­dart also scored. Kin­lochshiel 3 Skye Ca­manachd 0

Kin­lochshiel were 3-0 win­ners against the Skye Ca­manachd se­cond team.

The match was sched­uled for Kirk­ton but was switched to the Plock­ton astro as a re­sult of poor weather.

Is­abelle MacKen­zie scored twice and Eilidh MacInnes got the other.

Glenurquhart W/O v Lochaber

The Lochaber se­cond team were un­able to field a team for their match against Glenurquhart at Blair­beg so Glenurquhart were awarded the points.

Glenurquhart played a friendly match against a Lochaber side, how­ever, af­ter which Ma­rine Har­vest’s Iain Roberts pre­sented Glenurquhart cap­tain Siob­han Thom­son with the Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 tro­phy.

Glenurquhart have now done the dou­ble hav­ing won the Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup ear­lier in the sea­son. The an­nual North v South youth rep­re­sen­ta­tive matches were sched­uled to take place at An Aird, Fort William, on Sun­day Oc­to­ber 7, how­ever, a yel­low weather warn­ing for the area meant the event was called off the pre­vi­ous evening.

The squads were con­firmed ear­lier in the week and Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion Youth Direc­tor Wil­lie Mac­Don­ald said: ‘The coaches across all four squads had had some tough choices to make in se­lect­ing this year’s squads. There is un­doubt­edly an abun­dance of tal­ent out there. It is espe­cially pleas­ing to see the pro­gres­sion a num­ber of play­ers have made from U14 to U17 and then to the U21 na­tional squad over the past few years, so the im­por­tance of this event to a player’s path­way is clear to see.’

North U14 from:

George Tay­lor-Ram­say (Kin­gussie) Eoin Baikie (Kin­gussie) William Suther­land

(Skye Ca­manachd)

Fin­lay Cole­man (Caber­feidh) Char­lie Ferguson (New­ton­more) Tyler Whyte (Lochaber)

Euan MacCormick (Beauly) Sean MacLen­nan (Fort William) Archie MacRae (Kin­lochshiel) Tay­lor Matheson

(Skye Ca­manachd)

Craig Mac­Don­ald (Fort William) Fin­lay MacLen­nan (Beauly) Fin­lay Fraser (Glen­garry) Aaron Mac­Beth (Kin­lochshiel) Ma­ree Macken­zie (Kin­lochshiel) Calum Mackintosh (Kin­gussie) Coaches: Gre­gor MacCormick and Sean Mc­quar­rie

South U14 from:

Gor­don Cur­rie (Bute) Mar­cus Plank (Bute)

Leon McMil­lan (Bute) Cal­lum MacMil­lan (Bute) Kieran Lopez (Oban Ca­manachd) Louis Mac­Far­lane (Oban Ca­manachd) Steven Thom­son (Dunoon) John Dou­glas (Oban Lorn) William MacEwan (Oban Lorn) Pearce McBeth (Oban Lorn) Coll MacKay (Inveraray) Neily MacNaughton (Dunoon) Lo­gan Thomp­son (Bal­lachul­ish) Sam Daynes (Bal­lachul­ish) Lewis Moran (Bal­lachul­ish) Eoin Burns (Aber­dour) Coaches: Les Kin­vig and Alan Duffy

North U17 from:

Calum Grover (New­ton­more) Jamie Gil­lies (Skye Ca­manachd) Kieran MacPher­son (Kin­gussie) Thomas Ma­clean (Strath­glass) Cam Clark (Kil­mallie) Con­nor Gilpin (Skye Ca­manachd)

Cameron Macin­tosh (Glenurquhart)

Lewis Clark (Fort William) Lachie Shaw (Fort William) Dy­lan Borth­wick (Kin­gussie) Ross Gor­don

(Skye Ca­manachd) Dun­can Matheson (Kin­lochshiel) Martin Pringle (Skye Ca­manachd) William Mackin­non

(Skye Ca­manachd)

Liam Borth­wick (Kin­gussie) Ryan Boyle (Fort William) Coaches: Rus­sell Jones and Kenny MacLeod

South U17 from:

Dougie Mac­Don­ald

(Oban Ca­manachd)

Cally MacNaughton (Col Glen) Scott MacVicar (Col Glen) Kyle Kerr (Col Glen) Con­nor Kennedy (Col Glen) Tom Irb­hinn (Col Glen)

Ryan Craig (Bute) William Boag (Bute)

Scott Har­vey (Bute)

Daniel Sloss (Oban Ca­manachd) Blair Mac­Far­lane

(Oban Ca­manachd)

Ross Camp­bell (Oban Ca­manachd) Ryan Bar­clay (Oban Ca­manachd) David MacDougall (Aber­dour) Ali Ab­bott (Aber­dour) Camp­bell Watt (Inveraray) Coaches: Ron­nie MacVicar and Euan McMurdo

Lochaber High wins Great Glen Sixes

Lochaber High School won the Great Glen Shinty Sixes on Wed­nes­day Septem­ber 25.

With eight teams tak­ing part, Lochaber, Kin­gussie and Glenurquhart high schools and Gran­town Gram­mar School reached the semi-fi­nals.

Lochaber beat Kin­gussie 2-0 in their last-four tie, whilst Glenurquhart over­came Gran­town to reach the fi­nal.

Lochaber were 4-0 win­ners over Glenurquhart in the fi­nal with top scorer Max Camp­bell, Hamish Shaw and Cameron Whyte amongst the goals.

Lochaber keeper Dar­ren Whyte kept a clean sheet through­out all five tour­na­ment games. De­fend­ers Cam Clark and Johnny Forster also caught the eye as did Cameron Whyte who was named as Player of the tour­na­ment.

Wil­lie Neil­son opens the scor­ing for Oban Ca­manachd against Skye.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Ian Hay waves good­bye af­ter tak­ing charge of his last game be­fore hand­ing over the reins to a new boss for next sea­son.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

The Inveraray team af­ter se­cur­ing pro­mo­tion to the Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Jump to it: Inveraray’s Ni­cholas Craw­ford avoids the swing of Beauly’s Colin Mac­don­ald.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.