The Oban Times - - THE GREAT WAR -

The ex-Kaiser ar­rived in Ameron­gen (40 miles east of Rot­ter­dam) on Mon­day af­ter­noon.

He was ac­com­pa­nied by Gen­eral von Falken­hayn and a large num­ber of of­fi­cers.

He did not show him­self when the train left Eys­den, near the fron­tier, but all along the route crowds of peo­ple gath­ered, de­spite the rain, and hissed and hooted as the train passed.

The im­pe­rial train of 11 car­riages and two bag­gage trains reached the lit­tle sta­tion at Marn at 3.30 in pour­ing rain. Two or three hun­dred spec­ta­tors waited the ar­rival of per­haps, the first guest whom Hol­land had not wel­comed to in­tern­ment here. At the sta­tion Gen­eral On­nen, Chief of the Depart­ment of In­tern­ment, re­ceived the ex-Kaiser.

The Kaiser was in uni­form, and, con­trary to his ap­pear­ance on his first ar­rival at Eys­den, looked ut­terly mis­er­able.

One of the Dutch rail­way staff ex­pressed the gen­eral feel­ing ac­cen­tu­ated by the grey, chilly and wet November day when he said: “It is like bury­ing a liv­ing corpse.” An old lame gen­eral who ac­com­pa­nied the Kaiser was Von Platen (Von Plessen?), not Hin­den­burg, as some had thought. The old man could hardly re­strain his tears as the party left the sta­tion build­ings to en­ter mo­tor-cars and drive through the driz­zle and haze of the early evening to Count Bentinck’s chateau at Meron­gen. Hardly a word was ut­tered, though the Kaiser ap­peared to be thank­ing var­i­ous peo­ple for their ser­vices.

It is re­ported here that the Crown Prince was shot dead in Bel­gium on his way to the Dutch fron­tier. There is con­fu­sion be­tween the Crown Prince and Prince Adal­bert. It seems un­cer­tain which es­caped with the Kaiser.

The ex-Kaiser has be­come quite grey and his skin is of a yel­low tan colour. Two deep wrin­kles run along his nose, but his blue-grey eyes look as ar­ro­gant and as haughty as ever. His suite con­sists of one or two very old gen­er­als, one of whom had the im­pu­dence to try to pre­vent a Dutch pho­tog­ra­pher from taking a snap­shot of his Majesty.

The Kaiser’s flight was de­cided on af­ter the En­tente’s con­di­tions had ar­rived at Head­quar­ters, to­gether with the Ger­man Govern­ment’s com­mu­ni­ca­tion, made with­out the Kaiser’s pre­vi­ous knowl­edge that he had ab­di­cated. Al­though the Kaiser re­fused to sign an act of ab­di­ca­tion he re­alised that the game was up.

On hear­ing the ar­mistice con­di­tions he be­came fully aware of the ter­ri­ble sit­u­a­tion, and com­plained bit­terly to the Supreme Com­mand that he had been mis­led. One gen­eral coun­selled against flight as be­ing un­wor­thy of the Kaiser. Hin­den­burg ap­pointed Falken­hayn to ac­com­pany the Kaiser.

It is learned that the ex Em­press of Ger­many is stay­ing in Hom­burg, near Frank­fort-on-Main.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.