Your pet questions answered
Q IS it dangerous for my dog to eat the conkers he picks up on a walk?
A conkers can be poisonous to dogs, but serious cases are rare. They can cause harm if eaten in large quantities and can also block a pet’s intestines. Horse chestnut trees have many poisonous parts, such as the bark, leaves and flowers, so be careful when out walking. If your dog eats conkers and shows signs like drooling and retching, you should make sure you contact your vet for advice immediately.
Q I think our new white kitten might be deaf. How can we check?
A deafness can be inherited, especially in white cats.
You may suspect that your cat is deaf because it doesn’t respond to sounds as you’d expect, or seems startled when things appear.
If so, take it to your vet to be checked. They can do some basic checks and in some cases may suggest further testing at specialist centres.