Grass fire threat to city home
A BRAVE resident tried to tackle a grass fire near their home with a garden hose.
Crews from Dogsthorpe and Stanground fire stations and a turntable ladder from Dogsthorpe attended the fire, which started in pampas grass near a garden shed at a property in Honeyhill, in Paston.
The fire quickly spread to a nearby fence and towards the front of the house.
The resident attempted to tackle the fire with a garden hose before a neighbour called 999.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels to stop the fire from spreading to the roof of the property.
Crews then used the turntable ladder to check there was no sign of fire on the roof, before returning to the station just after 4pm.
The shed and fencing were destroyed and there was also some fire damage to the front of the property. The cause was accidental.