BRAVE VICTIMS SNARE CHILD RAPIST
‘Dangerous sex predator’ jailed for eight years
VICTIMS of a paedophile rapist have been praised by police for helping to bring him to justice.
David Barsby (72) was jailed for eight years on Tuesday at Cambridge Crown Court, for raping two girls in Peterborough in the 1970s.
Barsby, of Pinstock Lane, Gedney, near Spalding, was due to stand trial but pleaded guilty to five counts of rape on two girls and one count of indecency.
The offences took place in Peterborough, starting when the girls were aged just six and 10.
Speaking after the sentencing, investigating officer Detective Constable Natalie Bottom said the victims had been extremely brave in coming forward and giving evidence, resulting in Barsby being put behind bars.
She said: “Barsby is a dangerous sexual predator who repeatedly subjected his young victims to numerous rapes. For years, he thought he had got away with this but, thanks to the bravery of his victims, justice has finally been served.”
DC Bottom confirmed that police are not following any leads relating to other potential victims.
However, she said if any other victims are out there, she hoped they would come forward. She said: “We never expected to find the second victim and we did.
“As his picture is going in the Evening Telegraph, if there was ever to be more, hopefully they would report it.”
Barsby’s offences only came to light when one of his victims, now aged 36, decided to tell police in May last year what Barsby had done to her during her childhood.
DC Bottom said: “I think the victim had carried it for the whole of her life and she felt it was the right time for her to come to the police and tell them what had been going on.”
The 36-year-old woman told police that Barsby started abusing her in Peterborough when she was aged just six. The abuse continued for 10 years, until she was aged 16.
An investigation was launched after her complaint and it was due to this that the second victim was discovered. DC Bottom said: “I spoke to the first victim and conducted an investigation and took numerous statements off different people. I was made aware that, a long time ago, there was the poten- tial that this other victim knew of him at a young age.
“We located her. Her information was exactly the same as the other case that took place.”
The second victim, now aged 47, told DC Bottom that Barsby had sexually abused her from the age of 10. The abuse ended when she was aged 14.
Barsby had moved to the city when he was a young child and, according to DC Bottom, had lived here for around 40 years before moving to his current address in Spalding.
She said the sentencing was a good result after a lengthy investigation, which lasted just over a year.
She said it had been difficult process for officers and for the victims. However, she praised the two women for their strength and determination to see justice done.
She said: “The investigation started in May 2009 and, even up to Tuesday when the trial was supposed to start, it was still going on.
“It was a difficult thing to work on, but the most important thing was that both victims throughout the investigation remained strong. If they hadn’t come forward, this man would have still been walking the streets. It’s thanks to them for coming forward.”
SEX ATTACKER: David Barsby, who has been jailed for eight years.