The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - Et Sport -

ILKE­STON ........................ 21 PETER­BOR­OUGH ............. 17

BOR­OUGH were once again dec­i­mated by in­jury, ill­ness and un­avail­abil­ity yet with a patched-up side of young­sters al­most man­aged to pull off a shock win against the in­form team in Mid­lands Divi­sion One East.

It was the youngest first team squad ever fielded by the city side and with no recog­nised hooker avail­able, flanker Alun Meadows stepped into the front row. Tom Mar­shall, who hasn’t played a game all sea­son be­cause of in­jury, was again on the bench to cover for the in­jured props.

Young backs Rich War­low and Rob Ja­cobs stepped up to make their first starts for the side with Dun­can Low, Tom Lu­cas and Mike Ho­gan all un­avail­able.

Bor­ough played up a very steep hill in the first half and were 7-0 down af­ter four min­utes when they were caught nap­ping by a lively home side who in their last two matches had beaten ta­ble-top­ping Ket­ter­ing and sec­ond-placed Pav­iors.

The game then stopped for 30 min­utes to deal with a se­ri­ous in­jury to the Ilke­ston prop.

The first half con­tin­ued in much the same vain with Ilke­ston us­ing the slope well to kick for ter­ri­tory and Bor­ough turn­ing over ball when they man­aged to get out of their half. Ilke­ston scored two more tries on 16 and 34 min­utes to lead 21-0 at half­time.

With a young side and the re­cent run of five de­feats, Bor­ough could have ca­pit­u­lated. But they came out in the sec­ond half with re­newed vigour and a penalty on 43 min­utes from Will Car­ring­ton gave them con- fi­dence.

A yel­low card on 49 min­utes for Mark Hodges when he ap­peared to pull out of a late tackle seemed to slow down the Bor­ough re­cov­ery.

When he re­turned, how­ever, on 60 min­utes with all three Bor­ough re­place­ments on the pitch, the away side started to show some of the early sea­son in­ten­sity and ur­gency.

Jonny Hartwell scored a try af­ter mul­ti­ple Bor­ough phases on 70 min­utes con­verted by Car­ring­ton.

Bor­ough then had the scent of vic­tory but un­for­tu­nately were only able to get the next score on the stroke of full- time from Ben Crooks, Car­ring­ton again con­vert­ing.

An­other five more min­utes of play or if Bor­ough had in­creased the in­ten­sity ear­lier could have seen the young­sters emerge with a shock win.

Head coach Stu­art Low said: “Com­ing away from Ilke­ston with a bonus point af­ter weeks with a nil re­turn is not a bad ef­fort.

“This young side can take pride from this out­ing.

“It should give us a boost to kick­start 2012 when some of the in­juries will have healed over the hol­i­day break and Bor­ough will go into 2012 with re­newed con­fi­dence.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.