Mother’s loathing for man who killed Tyler

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - Front Page - By STEPHEN BRIGGS stephen.briggs@pe­ter­bor­oughto­ @Et­stephenb

A MOTHER has spo­ken of her loathing to­ward her for­mer boyfriend who killed her fiveyear-old son.

Stephanie Whe­lan (27) gave ev­i­dence at Cam­bridge Crown Court yes­ter­day about the death of her son Tyler Whe­lan on March 7, 2011.

Whe­lan, who lived at Sheep­walk, Pas­ton, at the time of Tyler’s death, de­nies caus­ing or al­low­ing the death of a child and two counts of cru­elty to a child.

Her ex-boyfriend Elvis Lee (34), of Crab­tree, Pas­ton, ad­mits to the man­slaugh­ter of Tyler but has pleaded not guilty to mur­der and two counts of cru­elty to a child.

The jury has pre­vi­ously heard how Tyler was kicked by Lee on March 7, 2011. He died of “blunt force trauma” which split his small bowel and bleed­ing on the brain. His post-mortem also re­vealed dozens of bruises to his body.

Asked how she feels to­ward Lee now, Whe­lan said: “I hate him.”

She added she could not even bear to look at him.

When asked what Tyler meant to her she replied in tears that “he was my world. I love him”.

The jury has heard how Lee had kicked Stephanie Whe­lan in the face in Jan­uary 2011 in a row. She said Lee was some­times a vi­o­lent man, who had threat­ened her with vi­o­lence in the past, and she was scared of their ar­gu­ments.

She said: “He was vi­o­lent to­wards women. I’ve never known him to hit or threaten a child. I didn’t think some­one who hit women could hit a child.”

The court was also told how con­cerns about Tyler had been high­lighted to so­cial ser­vices twice in the nine months be­fore his death.

He was taken to hospi­tal in June and Septem­ber 2010 af­ter suf­fer­ing in­juries and both times he was spo­ken to by a child wel­fare nurse – but no fur­ther ac­tion was taken.

On the first oc­ca­sion on June 10, 2010 Tyler had suf­fered a bro­ken leg af­ter fall­ing on the stairs.

Whe­lan said: “At the hospi­tal they did a full skele­tal X-ray and tests, be­cause so­cial ser­vices asked them.

“So­cial ser­vices had a meet­ing with the safe­guard­ing nurse. Af­ter­wards they said ev­ery­thing was fine and we could take him home.”

She added that no-one sug­gested there were any other un­ex­plained in­juries and no-one raised con­cerns about Lee be­ing at home.

Whe­lan also told the court that when Tyler in­jured his groin in Septem­ber, po­lice and a child pro­tec­tion nurse had spo­ken to Tyler in hospi­tal but noth­ing had re­sulted from the con­ver­sa­tion.

On March 7, Whe­lan told the court she did not know he had been kicked by Lee but thought he had hurt him­self fall­ing off the break­fast bar ear­lier that morn­ing. She had seen a red mark on his belly af­ter the fall but it dis­ap­peared later.

When he com­plained of stom­ach pains Whe­lan said she had walked with Tyler into her be­d­room hold­ing his hand but he col­lapsed on the floor when she let go.

When asked why she did not call for an am­bu­lance then she said “I don’t know. I wish I had”. Whe­lan said Lee had told her she was over­re­act­ing when she first said she wanted to take Tyler to hospi­tal.

The jury were told that they would hear no more ev­i­dence with clos­ing speeches due to start on Tues­day.

The trial con­tin­ues.

death: Tyler Whe­lan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.