Ringing the changes
HENRY Penn (1685 -1729) cast more than 250 bells at his Bridge Street foundry, near Peterborough Magistrates’ Court.
A canal called ‘Bell Dyke’ ran to the rear of the foundry, joining the River Nene, on which many of his bells were floated to their destinations.
The bells, mainly large and cast in bronze, went to more than 100 buildings, churches, houses and schools in 13 counties in England. In 1709 he cast the first ring of 10 bells for Peterborough Cathedral.
The largest, weighing oneand-a-half tons, is called ‘The City Bell’ and strikes out the time on the Cathedral clock.