New de­fences pre­vent en­try of trav­ellers

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - NEWS -

New de­fences have pre­vented trav­ellers from mov­ing onto a car park at the South Bret­ton Play­ing Fields in Ring­wood.

A Peter­bor­ough City Coun­cil spokes­woman said: “A group of trav­ellers en­tered the gravel area of the car park at Bret­ton play­ing fields Tues­day night.

“They at­tempted to re­move the bol­lards to gain ac­cess to the field whilst a bowls match was still be­ing played.

“How­ever, the de­fences were suc­cess­ful and they did not suc­ceed in gain­ing ac­cess. Po­lice were called to the in­ci­dent as a re­sult.”

A po­lice spokesman said: “Of­fi­cers did at­tend due to re­ports of crim­i­nal dam­age, but af­ter ar­rival the of­fi­cers con­firmed there was no dam­age done.”

Last year, lo­cal foot­ball matches at Ring­wood were dis­rupted when trav­ellers moved onto the land.

Mean­while, Bret­ton Wa­ter Park was shut from Wed­nes­day to Friday last week af­ter an unau­tho­rised trav­eller en­camp­ment was set up in nearby Helt­wate.

A coun­cil spokesman said the park was shut on health and safety grounds. The park was re-opened af­ter a large amount of rub­bish was cleared.

In ad­di­tion, the coun­cil has started the evic­tion process to re­move an­other unau­tho­rised en­camp­ment in Lan­g­ley, Bret­ton.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.