Four teens charged in connection with blaze
Police: Three 15-year-olds and boy of 14 face alleged wilful fire-raising
Four teenagers have been charged in connection with a blaze at a city school building.
More than 30 firefighters spent several hours battling the fire at the disused Cordyce Primary school in Dyce after the alarm was raised just after 11pm on Monday.
The blaze was brought under control in the early hours of yesterday morning, but fire crews were still working at the site until noon.
The school, which previously provided secondary education for additional support needs children, has been unoccupied since the summer.
It was xpected to close next April.
No one was injured in the incident.
Dyce resident Ailsa Dick was woken up in the middle of the night by the flashing blue lights of fire engines.
She watched the drama unfold from her window. She said: “There must have been six engines plus police and ambulances.
“There was a lot of smoke, and the flames were pretty high.
“Quite a few neighbours were outside watching, and the road was shut off.”
Police launched an investigation into the incident.
Three 15-year-old boys and a 14-year-old were yesterday charged in connection with an alleged wilful fire-raising.
Detective Inspector David Howieson said: “The building has been extensively damaged and
“Quite a few neighbours were outside watching”
it goes without saying that this could have been a much more serious incident.
“Thankfully no one was injured.
“We urge anyone who saw anything or has any knowledge which may assist with our inquiries to get in touch with us on 101.”
An Aberdeen City Council spokeswoman said: “Cordyce School has been closed to pupils since June.
“Council officers will continue to liaise with the police.
“It would be inappropriate to comment further while there is an ongoing police investigation.”
RUINS: Cordyce Primary in Dyce was extensively damaged in the blaze yesterday
More than 30 firefighters tackled the school blaze