Driver killed girl aged two as he crashed

The Press and Journal (Aberdeen) - - NEWS -

A man has ad­mit­ted killing a two-year-old girl in a Scot­tish town af­ter his car mounted the pave­ment.

Har­low Ed­wards was walk­ing along the pave­ment with two other chil­dren – aged six and 17 at the time – when two cars crashed on the road close to them in Coupar An­gus, near Perth, on Oc­to­ber 13 last year.

A Ford Fo­cus be­ing driven by Luke Pirie mounted the pave­ment hit­ting all three, in­stantly killing Har­low and throw­ing the others over a road­side wall.

At the High Court in Ed­in­burgh yes­ter­day, 23-year-old Pirie ad­mit­ted caus­ing death by dan­ger­ous driv­ing. He had passed his driv­ing test just a year be­fore and was said to be “worked up” and an­gry as he left his work at Scone Air­port in Perth to travel to his part­ner’s house in Mon­trose.

Ad­vo­cate de­pute Iain McS­por­ran QC said Pirie was seen speed­ing through Coupar An­gus and had used his mo­bile for calls, texts and a Facetime be­fore the crash.

CCTV showed the Fo­cus speed­ing be­hind a line of traf­fic mo­ments be­fore the crash, prompt­ing sighs from the Ed­wards fam­ily in court.

The cars in front had slowed as a Citroen sig­nalled to turn right but Pirie pulled out and tried to over­take the traf­fic, col­lid­ing with the Citreon at 50mph as it be­gan to turn.

Har­low suf­fered “mul­ti­ple se­vere in­juries” while the 17-year-old suf­fered bleed­ing on the brain and a spinal frac­ture.

The other child suf­fered a skull frac­ture and per­ma­nent scar­ring.

A vic­tim im­pact state­ment from Har­low’s mother, Sara, was read to the court in which she said she had been “robbed of a life­time of mem­o­ries”. Pirie was re­manded with the case ad­journed to Oc­to­ber 4 for sen­tenc­ing.

The court heard Pirie, who sat with his head bowed through­out the hear­ing, had ear­lier been ag­i­tated by phone calls with his part­ner while at work and set off to drive to her house.

Records showed he had used his mo­bile in the car but there was no ev­i­dence it was be­ing used at the time of the crash.

At the scene of the col­li­sion, wit­nesses claimed the 23-year-old said it was not his fault, the Ad­vo­cate De­pute told the court.

The court heard the ac­cused has pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for vi­o­lence and dis­or­der and was on bail, serv­ing a com­mu­nity pay­back or­der, when the crash oc­curred.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.