Medics dis­agreed over tragic boxer

The Press and Journal (Inverness, Highlands, and Islands) - - NEWS -

The in­quiry into the death of Scot­tish boxer Mike Tow­ell, 25, has heard se­nior medics dis­agreed over his care af­ter he col­lapsed in the ring.

An A&E con­sul­tant said he was “sur­prised and dis­ap­pointed” sur­geons felt they couldn’t op­er­ate, af­ter be­ing told the Dundee fighter had sus­tained an “un­sur­viv­able in­jury”.

Ryan Con­nelly, 37, said Tow­ell was “pro­foundly un­con­scious” when he ar­rived at the A&E depart­ment of Glas­gow Royal In­fir­mary and was given a CT scan.

He said he left the scan to phone a sur­geon be­cause “if any­thing was go­ing to save his life, it would be im­me­di­ate neu­ro­surgery”.

He said he pushed for Tow­ell to be trans­ferred to Queen Eliz­a­beth Hospi­tal’s neu­ro­surgery in­ten­sive care unit.

Dr Christo­pher Green­halgh also gave ev­i­dence that he tended to Tow­ell im­me­di­ately af­ter he col­lapsed in the ring and trav­elled with him to hospi­tal.

The doc­tors gave ev­i­dence for a sec­ond day at the probe into the fighter’s death at Glas­gow Sher­iff Court yes­ter­day.

Tow­ell died of a bleed on the brain the day af­ter he lost a bout to Welsh fighter Dale Evans on Septem­ber 29 2016.

“Iron” Mike col­lapsed fol­low­ing the Bri­tish ti­tle elim­i­na­tor bout staged at Glas­gow’s St An­drews Sport­ing Club.

He was taken to hospi­tal but died 24 hours later.

Dr Green­halgh told how he en­tered the ring with Dr Ron­ald Syd­ney af­ter the fight was stopped.

He said the boxer was con­scious and knew where he was and what day it was and ini­tially obeyed in­struc­tions.

Dr Green­halgh said Tow­ell’s head hung, he be­came un­steady and his speech in­co­her­ent, and when they lay him on the floor he did not re­spond and fell un­con­scious.

Mr Con­nelly said when Tow­ell ar­rived, he de­cided to anaes­thetise him and give him a brain scan.

He said: “I could see the scan my­self.

“I was very quickly aware he had a sig­nif­i­cant in­jury to his brain.”

The in­quiry heard Mr Con­nelly phoned the Queen Eliz­a­beth Hospi­tal, which said it would phone him back.

He was told “it’s an un­sur­viv­able in­jury he had and he would not be amenable to neu­ro­surgery”.

Asked if he agreed, he said: “I was quite sur­prised and dis­ap­pointed they didn’t feel this was some­thing they could op­er­ate on.”

The in­quiry con­tin­ues.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.