Robbo D-day on Fraser
ICT: Compromise could seal deal for midfielder
Inverness Caley Thistle manager John Robertson will decide today whether to move for Buckie Thistle captain and midfielder Kevin Fraser.
Caley Thistle manager John Robertson will decide today whether to move for Buckie Thistle captain and midfielder Kevin Fraser.
Finances had seemed certain to scupper the deal for the Highland League player of the year, but Buckie manager Graeme Stewart has hinted his club may compromise to allow a transfer to go through.
Fraser has trained with the Championship club this week after Robertson invited the 26-year-old, who was the Highland League’s player of the year in Buckie’s title-winning season last year, in for a week-long trial.
Robertson claimed Buckie’s demands for a transfer fee would scupper any proposed move, but Stewart has hinted there could be more than one way of brokering a deal, if his club’s directors agree.
Fraser, who still has three years left on his contract at Victoria Park, works at Inverness harbour and was with Caley Jags until his release in 2009.
The midfielder will end his trial at Caledonian Stadium today, and Robertson will make a decision before Fraser leads out champions Buckie in the opening Highland League game at home to Clachnacuddin tomorrow. Robertson said: “He wouldn’t be here if I didn’t see something in him. We don’t bring players in if we don’t see potential or a chance to improve the team.
“We’re hopeful of having another couple of players in by next week. I’ve spoken to the board and they’ve been great and said we can try to get a couple in, irrespective of players going out.”
Jags manager Stewart said his club’s board will make the final decision and added: “We are bending over backwards to help Kevin. We want him to go to Caley Thistle, we won’t stand in his way and we want to negotiate.
“If, as John Robertson has said, Inverness are unable to pay a fee up front, we could look at other options, such as staged payments, loan players, sell-on fees and even preseason friendlies. There’s more than one way of skinning a cat.
“If Caley Thistle weren’t a full-time club we wouldn’t even be considering this. If any other Highland League club offered us £50,000 for Kevin we wouldn’t be interested. We’re just trying to help him with his dream of returning to full-time
“We’ve tried to help Kevin by allowing him to go on trial”
football. The bottom line is if a club wants a player, then one way or another, they have to pay for him. If Celtic approached Caley Thistle to take their best player, do you think they would let him go for nothing? I don’t think so.
“We’ve tried to help Kevin by allowing him to go on trial.
“We are trying to do everything we can to help our club captain. If we wanted to stand in his way we wouldn’t have allowed him to go on trial in the first place.”
Stewart added: “These are my own thoughts and before we go any further I would have to discuss the situation with my board at Buckie Thistle.”