Corn­wall get in groove with a late rush of tries

The Rugby Paper - - Bill Beaumont Cup - ■ By LUKE JARMYN

A 40-ME­TRE sprint by wing Robin Wed­lake to re­lease re­place­ment Matt Bowden for a try in the fi­nal play rounded off a five-try rout for Corn­wall.

Four tries in the fi­nal 20 min­utes from Matt Bal­lard, Wed­lake, Tom Not­man and Bowden added to a firsthalf score from Re­druth No.8 Barry-John Chap­man as Trelawny’s Army started their cam­paign for a hat­trick of county ti­tles.

Corn­wall coach Marek Churcher told TRP: “It was al­ways go­ing to be tough and Sur­rey showed their in­ten­tions early on try­ing to move us around.

“We had the ball for barely two min­utes of that first half and we had a great re­sponse after half­time. To fin­ish with a flurry of tries and a bonus point is very im­por­tant.

“Our dis­ci­pline was key in the sec­ond half. It was ob­vi­ous Sur­rey didn’t want to kick the ball, we iden­ti­fied that and David Man­kee used the wind to kick them back in that half.”

Corn­wall showed their in­tent early with a fiveme­tre li­ne­out lead­ing to three phases on Sur­rey’s try­line be­fore Chap­man scored un­der the posts.

After that the first half was nearly dom­i­nated by the home side and in the tenth minute, fly-half Matt No­ble broke through and off­loaded to wing Kariym Irv­ing for the try.

Sur­rey nearly grabbed their sec­ond with an­other break by No­ble min­utes later but a lack of sup­port run­ners saw the op­por­tu­nity go beg­ging.

Corn­wall scrum-half Jack Oul­ton saw yel­low on the 19th minute for a tech­ni­cal foul on Sur­rey cen­tre Ben Kitch­ing just in front of the Cor­nish try-line but it wasn’t un­til the south­west side went down to 13 men with Chap­man sin­binned for tack­ling Irv­ing in the air nine min­utes later that Sur­rey made use of the ad­van­tage.

From a five-me­tre scrum, the home side got a penalty try but leaked a penalty kick min­utes later to the Cor­nish­men just after a cross­field kick by fly-half Man­kee was just inches long for run­ner Wed­lake.

With a full deck and the wind in their favour, Corn­wall spent the first 20 min­utes deep in Sur­rey’s half with lock Bryn Jenkin’s dom­i­nance at the li­ne­out caus­ing the home side all sorts of prob­lems and lead­ing to a catch-drive try just after the hour mark scored by re­place­ment

hooker Matt Bal­lard.

Three min­utes later Ply­mouth Al­bion wing Wed­lake latched on to a break by re­place­ment Grant Ran­dle­some for a 50me­tre try in the cor­ner.

In the 76th minute, cen­tre Jack Simmons slid through a gap in Sur­rey’s line to re­lease re­place­ment Tom Not­man left of the posts be­fore Bowden com­pleted the win by dot­ting down in the cor­ner.

Sur­rey coach Ar­mand Roux said: “It’s a shame. We had them against the ropes in the first half.

“We were try­ing to play it out and we weren’t clin­i­cal enough. Be­ing 14-7 up, we should have won.”

PIC­TURES: David Whit­tam

Over he goes: Bar­ryJohn Chap­man opens the scor­ing for Corn­wall

No­ble art: Sur­rey’s Matt No­ble breaks for the line

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.